Rant: Getting disappointed with Ruger

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by spikedriver, Dec 22, 2013.

1. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Ruger guns have always been known for reliability. However I seem to be seeing more and more posts about problems with newer Rugers. From Mini-14s that won't function, to SR pistols that don't feed, to LC9s having problems...the list goes on. To top it off there are now people reporting shoddy customer service, and fixing problems right was a hallmark of Ruger's business not too long ago. William Ruger wouldn't have stood for this. I am about ready to ship my own LC9 down the road now as it will eject the mag at random, sometimes while it is simply riding in the holster! I have tried the common solutions for that common LC9 problem and at first was successful, but it has been getting worse for several months now and I've just about had it. I know this might ruffle some feathers here, and I myself have been a big Ruger fan for years, But I don't feel comfortable anymore, buying or recommending anything made since Bill died. Does anybody else feel this way, or is it just my experience?

2. Grizz12

Grizz12 New Member

I am one of the one's with a problem mini 14 and I have to agree with you. I went on their website and checked out their "employment opportunities" section. When I read "must be able to work in fast paced work environment" I knew that was bad news because quality will always suffer

3. refugee

refugee New Member

all of my Rugers are excellent. the only one I had a problem with was my LCP, and CS turned it around in good time. I own a lot of Rugers, revolvers, rifles and semi auto. the newest are an SR45 and a recently acquired SR9c, to go with the SR9 and SR40 Redhawk, M77 and several single actions. I have also gifted my adult children three SR9's a son an LC9, in addition to many others over the years. no brand has a perfect record. I feel that dollar for dollar Ruger is the best value on the market. durable, reliable and accurate. I am not a pro, all I need is a weapon that is capable of more accuracy than am I, and these weapons certainly are. I shoot them actually better than my Smiths, Kimbers and Springfields. so the answer from me is I will be loyal to what works, and my Rugers work while the others get fired only a few times a year.

4. Grizz12

Grizz12 New Member

I forgot to mention that I have owned many rugers over the years, probably close to as dozen, and have never had a problem with any of them. When dealing with ruger CS to fix my mini for this issue, I had one poor rep but the others were very friendly, helpful and understanding.

The reason I continue to post about it, it to try and get rugers attention and get them to pay more attention to quality control BEFORE the weapons leave the factory. My mini went back and forth 3 times, all next day service UPS which costs around $100 or more. That is an extra $600 spent on one rifle PLUS the cost of parts and labor for doing the repairs!! I wish they would hire me to fix the quality control issues

5. spikedriver

I Understand that it isn't every new Ruger that has a problem. My father's SR9c seems to be excellent, and I know others who are very happy with theirs. But it seems that more Rugers are getting out to the customers with problems than there used to be. Of course this is just what I am told by the people who experience the problems. I don't have any statistics. But an acquaintance got a rifle with the integral scope mounts machined crooked and it was visible to the naked eye. when he sent it back they just shipped it back to him and said it was ok. this is just one example.

6. weblance

weblance New Member

When Ruger built 100,000 guns a year, there were problems. Ruger now builds over 1,000,000 guns a year. There are going to be more problem guns that get out. Ruger has also kept their prices in line with inflation, so some things like cosmetic issues will get past QC, such as the lathe rings on 10/22 barrels and machining marks on 10/22 receivers. Ruger has released many new, innovative firearms in the last 5 years. There are going to be some issues until they get things sorted out. I have read many recent quality complaints, and it is disheartening, but its also not just a Ruger problem. There are complaints from buyers of firearms from all the major manufacturers.

I have many Ruger firearms, and have only had one problem. It was a Single Six made last year. Ruger fixed the problem quickly, and smoothed the action considerably. Its the SS in my avatar, as a matter of fact. I would have though Ruger would know how to build the Single Six by now, but I guess not.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  7. spikedriver

That is true, the sheer number of guns produced make it more likely that some lemons will reach the public. I just think if Bill were still in charge, the initial quality would be better. Now, after doing some more research, I have to decide whether to send my LC9 back to Prescott, or send it down the road and look for another pocket 9...

8. TxLobo

TxLobo New Member

If Bill was in charge, we would be stuck with 10 round magazines made by Ruger... :-/

Overall, I think they are still doing fine, as Weblance said, the sheer number of guns released has increased.. not to mention several new models have come out in recent years. I sold my 80's model Mini 14 last year before the Sandy Hook incident, apparently I never knew how "bad" it was. The pencil barrel on that rifle never cause a problem. That rifle took down more varmints and central Texas deer than any other rifle in my collection. Cosmetic issues, I can live with, I purchased the firearm for a reason, I understood I was getting a tool, not a safe queen.

Merry Christmas guys and gals!

9. weblance

weblance New Member

I do agree if Bill was still signing paychecks, things would be different, quality would definitely be one of his first areas of concern with such a large volume of expansion. I have the excellent book, Ruger & His Guns. and my impression of the man was that he was ABSOLUTELY in charge of all aspects of the business. He was compassionate, but took no crap from anyone. :duck:

10. ruger44magnum

ruger44magnum New Member

Yah I can attest to rugers QC issues right now. Let me state though that ruger is my favorite gun manufacture and I will always buy there guns. I digress, my problem with them was with my mkiii. There was a bluing spot that was messed up. They fixed it sent it back around a month later, well 2-3 months later the spot showed up and I sent it back. When it came back this time, the front site would wobble almost like it was pinned, and they changed parts in it for no reason. So I had to send it back for that, and I finally got it back and they completely changed the bottom frame this time. Well the new frame had a diver in the back strap and had small amounts of bluing missing in the area. Needless to say I'm done with sending it back.

11. spikedriver

Arizonaheat I understand what you are saying about the sheer numbers. I think what is going on is more a failure of design and testing - it seems there are some sub standard parts being used, and or shortcuts in the process. I wouldn't put the blame on the workers putting these guns together without having first hand knowledge of what's going on in the plant. And I agree that the Mexican workers comment is out of line, or in poor taste at the very least.

12. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I have performed housekeeping in this thread.

Keep comments civil and beneficial to the entire community!

13. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Remember, people are always more than happy to announce negatives and displeasure yet seldom make as much effort to do the same with the positives. Part is that ppl expect much more than they did years back. People spend a couple hundred and expect a level of quality found on a thousand dollar firearm. If ya want Rolls Royce quality and attention to detail, ya don't buy a Chevrolet.
    As above, with 1,000,000 + firearms a year coming out of Ruger, so long as humans are doing the work, there's gonna be occasional problems. Think about how many as far as percentages go that are having issues. Not hearing about tens or hundreds of thousands are ya?
    Funny too… People will complain about lacking quality, kinda wanting something done about it, yet not want to pay for any additional levels of quality or quality control. They'll then complain even more when that manufacturing goes overseas even if the quality were to stay the same or even increase.

14. ruger44magnum

ruger44magnum New Member

And I agree that the Mexican workers comment is out of line, or in poor taste at the very least.[/QUOTE]

Really? Is it not the truth? Gun manufacturers aren't hiring skilled workers very much anymore and from what I've seen on t.v that's who's putting them together. Hell I don't care if everyone in there's Mexican, whatever, I just want them to know what there doing, and by the apparent quality control issues if say they don't, or rugers really cutting quality control. And u know I even have a new example. Yesterday I felt one of the 10/22 itacs I believe there called. The bolt literally felt like I was grinding 2 stones together when I charged it. And this gun was brand new from ruger in the store. Also the machining work looks inferior to what's on all my other 10/22's.

15. Old_Sparky

Old_Sparky New Member

I have bought three Ruger pistols this year. I have been happy with all three, with over 600 rounds fired through two of them, while the LCP has less rounds fired.

16. ruger44magnum

ruger44magnum New Member

I'm not saying there qualities gone but it's slipping on some guns. My sr45 I bought this year is great and made very well, but quality is starting to become an apparent issue with a lot of manufacturers. Before If I bought a ruger new I wouldn't even worry about looking at it cause I new I was getting a good gun. Now I thoroughly go threw new guns I buy because I don't wanna get screwed with another mkiii situation.

17. giturgun

giturgun New Member

No problems with any of mine. sr22 lc9 mk 2 m77 in 30-06.

Did have a 10-22 that would not fire most of a mag every time. I finally found the problem and fixed it myself. The recess in the bolt face was to deep. thicker rim 22s would work fine , but the ones not as thick would show a soft strike. I took off about .002 and fixed that problem. I don't think it ever failed to go off again and I traded it for a CZ 452 super 2500 bolt rifle. I am in the market for another 10-22 , would like to have an I tac .

18. cjs1945

cjs1945 Member

I have had to send 2 Rugers back for repair, SR9 and SR45, and they were repaired promptly and they provided quality service and went out of their way to take care of the problem. I have 43 other Ruger firearms that have preformed flawlessly and never had any problems, i think they provide a quality product for a reasonable price and follow up with great service.

19. pearlygates

pearlygates New Member

I don't want to pass judgment too soon, but I have been having some issue with my SS22 failing to go into battery and some failure to ejects as well. I know guns needs a break in but it seems to me that a $350 pistol should cycle better than this little bugger does. I'm going to give it another couple hundred rounds and see what happens.

20. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I have bought a lot of Rugers these past five years. Most were perfect right out of the box. Two had to go back, and they came back within about 7 days and were perfect when they came back. I am not going to find fault with that track record.

Guns are finicky machines and gun owners tend to be finicky and particular as well. Nothing wrong with that. I am happy with Ruger and will continue to buy their guns. The Internet tends to create an exaggerated perception of the failure rate of these guns.

One anecdote. I bought a gently but clearly well-used Mark I on consignment this year. After two range outings it malfunctioned and would not re-cock. I sent it to Ruger and free of charge they replaced numerous parts in the receiver group and had the gun back to me in seven days. The gun now shoots flawlessly. You can't beat that. I am an unabashed Ruger fanboy. Here is the Mark I in question, by the way:
    [​IMG]