Range report using Titegroup powder on my .45

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Tommycourt, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

As usual I was at the range today and for the first time I used some Titegroup powder. I was shooting 230grn RN Berry plated bullets, 4.5-4.6 grains of Titegroup and large pistol primers. I also took along some Mag Tech factory ammo and some other reloads to make a comparison. 4.8grns is MAX load for Titegroup. They recommend starting @4.0 to 4.8 for shooting. I was surprised! The powder worked well and the recoil is very similar to the Mag Tech. In fact, it would be hard to tell the difference. I didn't see a lot of smoke or flash. My COAL varied from 1.243-1.246. I am going to stick to this load as I don't like to shoot at MAX load data. I wasn't interested in the accuracy as much I was on how they fed into my SR1911 and I had no glitches. I would recommend Titegroup however I would stay away from MAX loads. I will be glad to answer any questions that anyone might have.

Tommy

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Your days at the range are interesting with something new each time.

3. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,

You have to remember that when it comes to me I fit in the mentally challenged category. I was using a new powder to me and I loaded them on Tuesday and had wondered about how they would shoot. My prime goal was safety. I had called Hodgdon Powder Co. and the gun technician who answered wasn't real specific on his answers. I asked about powder loads for a .45, which primers would work best, what is the proper COAL and tried to glean as much information as I could. He replied as if he were an attorney being, (I thought) somewhat vague. Yes my days at the range are somewhat different however I hope I am not too old to learn. When that day comes, then I will hang up my guns and holsters and call it quits but until then, you will have the opportunity to read all of my "goofy" reports. If you want to know more, please call me @ BR549 and no collect calls please.:cheesy:

Tommy

4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Glad to hear Titegroup is working for you.

I know where BR549 comes from. Some of our younger members probably do not.

5. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member