Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my new Ruger SP101 3" .38/.357 to the range. I was shooting solely .38 special rounds for the gun's first range debut (I am not a huge fan of .357). I have to say that I was very impressed with the gun! This is a fixed sight model, so there is always the fear that the sight will simply be off by way of elevation, or worse, windage. No worries there! Here is a (terrible cellphone) picture of the first target shot that I fired from the gun at 8.5 yards:

This was the best group of the day, also at 8.5 yards shooting single action:

The double action trigger is a pretty stiff pull, but doable. The trigger is crisp and like all Ruger double action triggers, it is stagy, which I like. I may give the Wolff Spring Kit a try, or I may not.

In any case I am extremely pleased with the gun. My copy is beautifully made and the sights are perfectly aligned. Mechanically it is put together like a watch.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Good range report on that good looking Sp101.

So, i gently slipped it over to the "Range Report" subforum.
That seems to be where range reports get the most attention.:)

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
:DLooks like good shootin' to me!!! Nice looking pistola too. I would like to get one in a short barrel.

Ya did way better than I did my first time out with my LCR shooting magnums. Guess I shoulda used .38s.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Yep you need adjust for sights being off a tad. LOL just kidding. Very good shooting especially first time out with the gun. I couldn't do it for sure. There have been a few here that replaced the trigger kits with good results from what they said.
Just a heads up you might want to wear a glove when you shoot .357. My SP101 .327 3"bbl was a hand punisher shooting .327 magnums. I replaced the plastic hand grips with Hogue tamers and that made a really big difference. But I am an old man with whimpy hands so that could be .01 cent input. I am looking for a .32 revolver just to enjoy shooting the .32 ammo I have left over.
SP series are really fine looking and shooting guns. Built like a tank and looks of a centerfold.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
yep I don't shoot 357 in my LCR very often but I do carry it with it. It definitely isn't fun shooting 357 in a light gun. 357 is a handful even in the heavier guns.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good range report on that good looking Sp101.

So, i gently slipped it over to the "Range Report" subforum.
That seems to be where range reports get the most attention.:)

Jim
Problem with the range report forum is that it is inexplicably segregated from the rest of the gun subforums such that there is not much traffic here.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yep I don't shoot 357 in my LCR very often but I do carry it with it. It definitely isn't fun shooting 357 in a light gun. 357 is a handful even in the heavier guns.
Personally I don't care for .357 even in a full-sized revolver such as my GP100. 38 Special is plenty adequate for self-defense IMO and is a much more mannerly round to shoot.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I have some 3-D Police 38 special wad cutters that would make you think they were a big mouth hollow point. They sure blow up the sand. I am seriously thinking about carrying them instead of the 357 in my LCR. I need check ballistic results for comparison for SD use.
I might try digging them out of the sand to see how they expanded.

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
Great range report.....looking good...

·
gene814
12 Posts
Looking to get an SP101. Wondering about that trigger pull. I have a 22cal Taurus 94. Wife can not pull that trigger. I will try replacing the trigger spring.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
The SP101 in .327 had a really stout trigger pull in double action while the single action was easy enough. One of the reasons I got rid of the gun was due to the stout double action trigger. I hated that D/A trigger.

·
gene814
12 Posts
Thanks. That stout trigger pull is what I worry about. I wonder if my wife could pull the trigger. I have an old Taurus 82 or 85, that has a light trigger pull, but my wife doesn't like the short barrel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts