Range Report: Ruger SP101 .357 3"!

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by Redleg, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I finally got my new Ruger SP101 3" .38/.357 to the range. I was shooting solely .38 special rounds for the gun's first range debut (I am not a huge fan of .357). I have to say that I was very impressed with the gun! This is a fixed sight model, so there is always the fear that the sight will simply be off by way of elevation, or worse, windage. No worries there! Here is a (terrible cellphone) picture of the first target shot that I fired from the gun at 8.5 yards:

[​IMG]

This was the best group of the day, also at 8.5 yards shooting single action:
    [​IMG]

The double action trigger is a pretty stiff pull, but doable. The trigger is crisp and like all Ruger double action triggers, it is stagy, which I like. I may give the Wolff Spring Kit a try, or I may not.

In any case I am extremely pleased with the gun. My copy is beautifully made and the sights are perfectly aligned. Mechanically it is put together like a watch.
    [​IMG]

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Good range report on that good looking Sp101.

So, i gently slipped it over to the "Range Report" subforum.
    That seems to be where range reports get the most attention.:)

Jim

3. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

:DLooks like good shootin' to me!!! Nice looking pistola too. I would like to get one in a short barrel.

Ya did way better than I did my first time out with my LCR shooting magnums. Guess I shoulda used .38s.

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Yep you need adjust for sights being off a tad. LOL just kidding. Very good shooting especially first time out with the gun. I couldn't do it for sure. There have been a few here that replaced the trigger kits with good results from what they said.
    Just a heads up you might want to wear a glove when you shoot .357. My SP101 .327 3"bbl was a hand punisher shooting .327 magnums. I replaced the plastic hand grips with Hogue tamers and that made a really big difference. But I am an old man with whimpy hands so that could be .01 cent input. I am looking for a .32 revolver just to enjoy shooting the .32 ammo I have left over.
    SP series are really fine looking and shooting guns. Built like a tank and looks of a centerfold.

5. Gwgw60

Gwgw60 New Member

My experience with 357 mag from the SP101 was enough to convince me not to go for an LCR 357.

6. buster40c

yep I don't shoot 357 in my LCR very often but I do carry it with it. It definitely isn't fun shooting 357 in a light gun. 357 is a handful even in the heavier guns.

7. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Problem with the range report forum is that it is inexplicably segregated from the rest of the gun subforums such that there is not much traffic here.

8. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Personally I don't care for .357 even in a full-sized revolver such as my GP100. 38 Special is plenty adequate for self-defense IMO and is a much more mannerly round to shoot.

9. buster40c

I have some 3-D Police 38 special wad cutters that would make you think they were a big mouth hollow point. They sure blow up the sand. I am seriously thinking about carrying them instead of the 357 in my LCR. I need check ballistic results for comparison for SD use.
    I might try digging them out of the sand to see how they expanded.

10. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Great range report.....looking good...

11. gene814

gene814 gene814

Looking to get an SP101. Wondering about that trigger pull. I have a 22cal Taurus 94. Wife can not pull that trigger. I will try replacing the trigger spring.

12. buster40c

The SP101 in .327 had a really stout trigger pull in double action while the single action was easy enough. One of the reasons I got rid of the gun was due to the stout double action trigger. I hated that D/A trigger.

13. gene814

gene814 gene814

Thanks. That stout trigger pull is what I worry about. I wonder if my wife could pull the trigger. I have an old Taurus 82 or 85, that has a light trigger pull, but my wife doesn't like the short barrel.