Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sighted in at 50 yards Monday, using Hornady Superformance Varmit, 50 gr. V-Max. Set it at 1" low.

Fired same ammo today at 100 Yards (longest available at my club), elevation right on, windage 1½" left. Without adjusting scope, switched to my reloads - 60 gr. Hornady V-Max ahead of 38 gr. Win760 in new PPU cases, CCI200 primers. The POA was 1" farther left (2½"), but the same elevation. Adjusted the scope to put this loading 1" left, should be good enough for both loads.

The RAR is not a pretty rifle, but the ergonomics are good, including the trigger. There is a free 'take-up' before the trigger gets to the sear, then a crisp, smooth let-off. I have no way to measure pull, but what's there is fine, I didn't adjust it.

I can't tell you how it grouped, because I fired from a bipod, no rest under the butt, and I am not much of a marksman. I can only say it's good enough for this child.

The mags are not good enough, for hunting anyway; one of them feeds well enough for punching paper, maybe 80% functional. The other mag is useless to me. I am going to discuss the mag situation in the bitchin' thread I started awhile back. I have a hypothesis, want to do some research before posting.

:cool:

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Sounds good.

That 22-50 is such a nice flat, smooth shooting round.

What scope was it you put on it?

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Simmons ProSport 4x-12x-40 AO (Adjustable Objective). I expect the recoil to be mild enough so it doesn't loosen up. Bright, clear, easy to 'get into'.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Hey VT,
Have you talked with Ruger about the magazine problems with your rifle?
Maybe they have a fix for it. Maybe send the whole dang rifle to em. They usually pay shipping both ways so you'll only be out shipping time.

This is not the first I've heard of problems with the RAR mag's. Not sure if it was here or elsewhere.
Best I can remember, I believe they knew they had a bad run of em and fixed it. I could be wrong, wasn't paying close attention.

If it's only the magazines causing the problem, keep shipping them to Ruger, over and over till you get something that works.

Or you could just pitch the bitch, :eek: Cut your losses and get something that will run.
I've done that more than once..... but I'm kinda picky. Can you tell?

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Simmons ProSport 4x-12x-40 AO (Adjustable Objective). I expect the recoil to be mild enough so it doesn't loosen up. Bright, clear, easy to 'get into'.
Too many folks denigrate the Simmons brand, but I think they are one of the hidden secrets in the scope world.

I have several different models of the Simmons, and I will put them up against any brand for clarity , function, and quality.

I really like their 44Mag 3x12x44 .

As a matter o fact , I got up this morning , fairly early , and grabbed the Marlin 783 ,22 mag, with a 44 Mag scope, seen sumpin movin on a far hillside , figgered it was that elusive ground hog ,(been trying to get for a few years) scoped it, at 8X, yep it was him. Grabbed range finder, yep 144 yrds. Hmmmmm, I just zeroed this scope for 100 yrds this week. Sneaked out my back door, eased around side of house , being very stealthy , trees between he and me, (they can see you blink an eye at 100 yards), leaned against side of house, to steady up, (yall know what I mean),
cranked the scope to X12, clear as a bell, held the crosshair on its left ear, held over about an inch.

One shot one kill, 144 yards, CCI 40 grn HP, 22 magnum..... FINALLY

I may get a pic later today . Them whistle pigs have caused extensive damage to my barn and driveway . That one wont.

Back on topic VT.. a good scope , and I could have done the same thing with a 22-250, just cost more, and not as much a challenge..;):)

Jim
Sorry ...I get excited ...when a plan comes together.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey VT,
Have you talked with Ruger about the magazine problems with your rifle?
Maybe they have a fix for it. Maybe send the whole dang rifle to em. They usually pay shipping both ways so you'll only be out shipping time.

This is not the first I've heard of problems with the RAR mag's. Not sure if it was here or elsewhere.
Best I can remember, I believe they knew they had a bad run of em and fixed it. I could be wrong, wasn't paying close attention.

If it's only the magazines causing the problem, keep shipping them to Ruger, over and over till you get something that works.

Or you could just pitch the bitch, :eek: Cut your losses and get something that will run.
I've done that more than once..... but I'm kinda picky. Can you tell?
Thanks for the good advice, Magnum. Got to get up the gumption to face the hassle. I have strong doubts about that mag design being reliable-over-time, is why I'm having trouble getting enthusiastic. And it's such a basic problem that I don't know why anyone else would want the gun.

I'm telling myself to call Ruger Monday; maybe I will.

:headscratch:

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Too many folks denigrate the Simmons brand, but I think they are one of the hidden secrets in the scope world.

I have several different models of the Simmons, and I will put them up against any brand for clarity , function, and quality.

I really like their 44Mag 3x12x44 .

As a matter o fact , I got up this morning , fairly early , and grabbed the Marlin 783 ,22 mag, with a 44 Mag scope, seen sumpin movin on a far hillside , figgered it was that elusive ground hog ,(been trying to get for a few years) scoped it, at 8X, yep it was him. Grabbed range finder, yep 144 yrds. Hmmmmm, I just zeroed this scope for 100 yrds this week. Sneaked out my back door, eased around side of house , being very stealthy , trees between he and me, (they can see you blink an eye at 100 yards), leaned against side of house, to steady up, (yall know what I mean),
cranked the scope to X12, clear as a bell, held the crosshair on its left ear, held over about an inch.

One shot one kill, 144 yards, CCI 40 grn HP, 22 magnum..... FINALLY

I may get a pic later today . Them whistle pigs have caused extensive damage to my barn and driveway . That one wont.

Back on topic VT.. a good scope , and I could have done the same thing with a 22-250, just cost more, and not as much a challenge..;):)

Jim
Sorry ...I get excited ...when a plan comes together.:rolleyes:
Nice shot, Jim. I don't own a .22 WRM; That early morning shot would call for my Roller .22 Hornet. About the same challenge, wouldn't disturb the neighbors.

My 77/357 has Tasco World Class 3x-9x-40 on it. Seems to be a good scope, but it ain't as easy to get the sight picture on. I don't shoot any of my rifles often enough so my cheek gets on the stock the same every time.

[Forgot to ask: what is it that woodchucks do to barns? I have a suspicion...]

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
[Forgot to ask: what is it that woodchucks do to barns? I have a suspicion...]
They dig under the side walls, burrowing all over the place, nest in my barn, pee all over everything, They have burrowed under my driveway in a ditch, that runs along side it causing a partial collapse.:mad: You gotta be careful around the farm, for holes hidden in the weeds, could brake a leg you know.

anyway..
100_5902.jpg

100_5901.jpg

Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah yes. Cows break legs too.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the good advice, Magnum. Got to get up the gumption to face the hassle. I have strong doubts about that mag design being reliable-over-time, is why I'm having trouble getting enthusiastic. And it's such a basic problem that I don't know why anyone else would want the gun.

I'm telling myself to call Ruger Monday; maybe I will.

:headscratch:
Hah. Got my facts rounded up in my head, ready for a 'philosophical' discussion, and called Ruger CS. Told the rep the mag for my new RAR .22-250 didn't work well. She basically said a replacement mag will be sent out immediately -and that was that. Didn't get a chance to expound on my theory behind the malfunctions, just said 'thank you'. I mighta known.

Ruger could set up a department, maybe staffed by gunsmiths past minimum retirement age whose principle expertise is in guns Ruger doesn't make anymore, to hear and respond to customers wanting philosophical discussions about their new guns.

:waving:

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Nice shooting Jim. I didn't realize that woodchucks got that big. I could see where it could burrow a hole and have a horse or cow step into it besides digging up your yard. You ain't gonna eat that thing are ya?:melikey: One time we shot a badger in a local neighborhood and a young Viet Namese boy came out and said "I takee, I takee".

Tommy

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I'm shipping it to Bob, He can reshoot it with his 22-250.

OR , he may bake it for the family.;)

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm shipping it to Bob, He can reshoot it with his 22-250.

OR , he may bake it for the family.;)

Jim
My family didn't eat woodchuck, not sure why. Homer and Jethro sang about the pleasures of whistle pig... "Here comes Sal with a snicker and a grin, whistle pig grease all over her chin."

There are glands in the hind legs and back that need to be removed. There are recipes on the Internet, for several dishes featuring woodchuck.

Badger, I dunno. Meat is meat, I suppose. Hawks eat crows.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I'd hafta be gettin' awful hungry, to even think about eating one of those filthy pigs...it's much more fun to hit 'em with wayyyy too much gun and watch the chunks fly. (Think of a 75 grain hp doing about 3700 fps from a 25/06, at less than 200 yards. With a good center hit on a standing chuck, it's like a grenade went off inside it...)

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hah. Got my facts rounded up in my head, ready for a 'philosophical' discussion, and called Ruger CS. Told the rep the mag for my new RAR .22-250 didn't work well. She basically said a replacement mag will be sent out immediately -and that was that. Didn't get a chance to expound on my theory behind the malfunctions, just said 'thank you'. I mighta known.

Ruger could set up a department, maybe staffed by gunsmiths past minimum retirement age whose principle expertise is in guns Ruger doesn't make anymore, to hear and respond to customers wanting philosophical discussions about their new guns.

:waving:
The replacement mag came in today's mail. It cycled 4 cartridges perfectly.

AND the feed lips on this mag are not flexible. That may be related to the rumor Magnum saw about a bad lot of mags; in the other two I have - one came in the gun, one purchased from CDNN - the lips are flexible.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Glad to hear it looks like that rifle is gonna work for you. :Cooltu:

Ruger replaced three 10/22 magazines for me.
One I believe I wore out or couldn't get clean enough, a new one that was defective and one I bought used at a gun show that never worked.
All I had to do was call Ruger and send em in, no questions asked, they just traded for new ones.
Bet you could do the same with any you're having problems with...... ;)

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I had looked 'everywhere' yesterday for the malfunctioning mags, to confirm my diagnosis that their plastic is flexible whereas the plastic is not in the new one. Couldn't find them then but did today - on the shelf where I thought I had put them, and looked multiple times. !?

Anyway, there is no difference in rigidity. Geez. Glad I ain't a practicing surgeon.

What is different is the distance between the feed lips - about .010", narrower on the new mag. OK that is probably enough to make the difference between good and no-good, but I don't see a way to a fix on the no-good mags. The lips are plastic, not sheet metal. No bendee that would stay there. Seems like an iffy manufacturing tolerance in that material too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts