Range Report -- new Mark III Competition ("Slabside")

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by Redleg, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Took the new Mark III Competition to the range today. Before I did, about 15 hours before I added a Hi-Viz sight to the pistol in place of the all-black sight that it comes with. I just can't shoot at my usual black targets well when I have an all-black sight. Ruger should at least consider a white dot front sight sometime. No worries though, it took about a minute to swap the sights, and that includes a bit of blue Threadlocker. (Note: after several hundred rounds, the sight was still on securely -- that Threadlocker works!).

Here is the gun with its new Hi-Viz front sight:
    [​IMG]

At the range I shot about 160 rounds of Centurion, 100 rounds of Remington Thunderbolts, and 50 or so Remington Subsonic rounds. All shot very well. The last ten rounds or so I had two stovepipes which, by inspection, were clearly caused by very heavy lead and powder residue in the chamber; the rounds simply were not chambering well or easily due to a lot of crud. No fault of the gun, that's for sure.

Interestingly, the gun shot great with the subsonics; there was plenty of zip to work the action.

Groups were among the best I have ever gotten with a Mark III and easily the best I've gotten with a Mark III (and maybe any gun) using iron sights. I am not sure if it was the ammo, if I was just having a particularly good day, or if, indeed, it is the gun. I may have a "shootout" between my Mark III Competition and maybe a Hunter or Target. Hey, that sounds like fun.

Anyway, I am very happy with the Competition. Not only is it a particularly cool looking pistol, but it is a shootin' fool.

2. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Beautiful looking gun and a great report......love Mark III guns.....

3. bonefamily

bonefamily New Member

Great report and it looks good with the new sights!