Range report CVA Accura 50 cal BP

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by phideaux, Dec 12, 2015.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Well, I finally got around to shooting that CVA Accura 50 cal BP rifle. 71 degrees , overcast, winds 20 mph.

Shooting off my 50 yard bench, using a portable tripod.

I have my own technique, that I alway use, when sighting in a new gun.

I start with one shot in upper right ( large 16x16") target, tyen upper left.
    If that dont tell me where Im at, (usually does) then I take a shot lower right, then lower left. Thats just my way.

I loaded up 100 gr Blackhorn powder , a Hornady 45 cal XTP magnum bullet, in a 50 cal sabot, and a 209 primer.

1st shot (upper right) was a hit at POA, so I did one more there, just to see if it held, it did. I get lucky with scope mounting and bore sighting , sometimes.
    Next 2 shots were at center bullseye, 2" high and 1/2" left.
    Adjusted scope accordingly for 50 yards 16 cklicks down, and 4 clicks right.
    Next 2 shots were where I wanted them to actually be at 50 yrds, cause I think 100 yrd shots would be dead on.

SO I left it there.
    Went to 100 yards just to play a little, by shooting orange clays , hit evertime, You should see it make a bowling pin jump at 100yrds.

I love this thing, even though my shoulder will probly be black and blue tomorrow.

I went up to 110 gr powder, (kicks like a mule) , still hitting clays, went to 120 gr of powder, unh-unh, nope, thats too much, on the second shot the scope kissed my eyebrow.

I know this gun is more accurate than me, but Im happy as a pig in poop.

002.jpg

001.jpg

Jim

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Hey, That's a fine post, and shooting I would brag about. My arthritic shoulder would be bitchin big time with the 2nd shot though, and I got no woman to rub in the liniment.

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Thanks ,

I forgot to add that the 3x9x40 Bushnell scope at 3 power /50 yards and 6 power/100 is really good and clear.
    The trigger is somewhere between 2 and 3 lbs, very light . Zero takeup, and snaps crisp, great trigger.
    I cant imagine any north American game this wouldn't take down.

As I'm sitting here listening to TV, my shoulder is bothering me.

I shot 24 rounds thru it, 100 gr of powder, and above, kicks worse than the CVA 50 cal pistol.

But, I sure get a kick outta shootin it..;):rolleyes:

Jim

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

You do so well shooting it you can just keep on shooting as long as your shoulder can take it. My should sometimes bothers me by the weather let alone shoot that cannon.

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Nice shooting Brother...looks like a keeper !!

6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

That's good shooting Jim. Nothing at all to be ashamed of. If it hurts your shoulder, drop down 10 grains and see if it still hits where you want it to. If it does then you can shoot your heart away at it and if not, then you already know your limitations. Good shootin!!!

Tommy