Range report - Bayou Bullets

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by VThillman, Aug 26, 2017.

1. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Following Jim's recommendation, I ordered 500 200gr .451 LRN coated bullets from Bayou Bullets a few days ago. Loaded up 50 of them ahead of 8.3gr Ramshot Silhouette, took them to the range Friday morning. That powder charge is definitely on the warm end; the Tanfoglio Witness (all steel version) handled them well, allowing me to drill the 12x18 outline target, ah, to good effect. The S&W M&P Shield was somewhat outmatched, got pretty frisky in my hand with that load. 30 rounds through it, not much damage to the target though.

This morning I cleaned both guns. Not even a hint of lead fouling in either bore; that coating works. No smoke downrange, just as Bayou predicted. A thin coat of soot spread around the guns' innards from the Silhouette, maybe would have gotten to be a problem sometime after 70-80 rounds I'm guessing.

Going to load up another 50 rounds with the charge lessened to 8.0gr, to see if the Shield likes that better. The Witness doesn't seem to care much what I feed it, but I'm going to challenge it with a couple mags of +P, Hornady 230gr TAP CQ. Hornady claims 960fps at the muzzle of their test gun, probably a 5" barrel 1911. I won't even consider trying them in the Shield.

Maybe Tuesday morning.

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Cool, and no messy lubed lead bullets to make for even more nastiness.:cool:

I will probably never shoot an uncoated lead bullet again.

Let us know how the lower, 8.0 charge works.

Jim

3. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I also use the Bayou​ Bullets, I am surprised you didn't mention the slight burning rubber smell. Guess you have better ventilation at your range.:D

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

It's an outdoor range and there was a light breeze. Nice day in fact. Burning rubber, eh? Seems like one of the powders I used circa 1980 had an odd smell. Must be another warped memory though. I think all I had was Bullseye, Unique, 2400, H110 and a few IMR powders. The IMRs would be for 7x57, 30-06 and modern 45-70. I didn't load shotgun shells.

5. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Have only had that smell since using the Bayou Bullets. Both 45acp and 9mm, stronger in 9mm cause faster bullet speed. Cleans up quickly and no leading.:D

6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Got to the range this morning to checkout the 8.0gr charge of Silhouette behind the Bayou Bullets. The Shield handles it acceptably, though recovery time is longer than with the commercial rounds I started with. May be able to cut into that recovery time with practice.
    the Hornady 230gr TAP CQ +P rounds are not so great a story. My Witness, which heretofore has handled everything I fed it, has FTLs with 'em. I wondered about that ogive shape on a large-hollow-point bullet. My doubts were confirmed; 4 FTLs in 20 rounds; the edge of the 'hollow' is too close to the bottom of the feed ramp. The Remington Golden Saber ogive gives no problems, but. . .

The 16 rounds that loaded were put into the target OK, so the Witness and I can handle the +P bang.

I'm guessing that a properly made 1911 feed ramp will handle these rounds OK, because it's longer.