Range Report and observations on ammo

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by Redleg, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Took two of my favorite Mark III pistols to the range yesterday; a Mark III Competition and a Mark III Hunter. First I put 300 rounds of CCI Mini Mags through them; 200 through the Competition and 100 through the Hunter. Both functioned 100% and shot very accurately with the CCI ammo.

Then put about 100 rounds each through the guns using Federal Auto Match. I got stovepipes with the Competition about every fourth magazine, i.e. a couple of times. The Hunter functioned 100% with the Auto Match.

The Competition is using the Volquartsen bolt, while the Hunter has the Ruger OEM bolt but with VQ firing pin and extractor.

Anyway, the CCI shot a little better than the Auto Match for those of you interested in .22LR ammo. CCI Mini Mags have become my ammo of choice for my Marks and my 10/22s.

A quick and dirty photo of these two pistola beauties:
    [​IMG]

2. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

I prefer CCI Mini Mags in 22/45 Lite. Like you, I have had no issues with it but am still not seeing them back on shelves here.

3. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Great report on the 22 ammo........thanks....

4. Redleg

Redleg New Member

These are my two beauties on the day of the range shoot. Note that my superb range (of which I am proud to be a member) has carpeted platforms in the range booth for your firearms.

[​IMG]

5. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Fine looking guns. Shooting .22lr is economical fun shooting to boot.

6. bikeride4fun

That's right....it's just UnAmerician not to shoot a 22....lol

7. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I can't get enough range time with my .22s. Soon I am going to rotate through my 10/22s and bolt action CZs.

Love shooting .22LR and .22WMR!

8. bikeride4fun

Sounds good Redleg.....

9. Redleg

Redleg New Member

UPDATE -- FURTHER REPORT:

Took the Mark III Competition and my blued Mark III Target to the range today and put 350 rounds of Remington Golden Copper Plated rounds through them. The Remington Goldens performed in the Marks just as well as do CCI and Federal Blue Box copper rounds. I had only problem in 350 rounds and this appeared to be a round with a deformed bullet head which caused a feeding issue. This satisfies me that it is the Federal Automatch which occasionally, for some reason, will cause otherwise good Mark pistols to occasionally stovepipe. Who knew?

Back before .22LR ammo got weirdly scarce I kind of looked down my nose at Remington Goldens. Not any more. These rounds are as reliable as you could want, and they seem to be about as accurate as any other non-expensive non-match ammo. Great for plinking, target shooting, or hunting I'm sure.

10. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I agree the Remington Goldens are OK. The Remington Thunderbolts, well that's another story...

11. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Remington Thunderbolts leaded up my Mark pistol to an astonishing degree. After firing about 150 of these my barrel was literally sheathed in lead, to the point where the rifling did not spin the bullets and I started keyholing the target and losing zero. In fact the barrel was so badly leaded that when I applied a bore brush to the gun it was stuck fast and I had to soak the whole thing in a tub of MPro7 cleaner. I will NEVER use Thunderbolts again.

Remington Golden Bullets are fine though; I've shot thousands and thousands of them with fine results.

12. lefty60

lefty60 New Member

The Remington Golden Bullets have worked very well in all of my .22's. I have lost track, but in close to 2,000 rounds I have had 3 misfires, 2 of those fire on the second try. The third never would fire, I tore it down and could not find a sign of priming compound.

I might note I've shot several hundred Squirrels and uncounted other critters with that amount of ammo.

:spot::spot:

13. Redleg

Redleg New Member

My results are just about exactly what you describe. Any feeding errors with Goldens are at the noise level.

One thing the present shortage of .22LR has done is to force me to "get real" about which ammo is OK and which isn't. Goldens are fine.

Oddly, my old staple, Federal Blue Box, has been as scarce as hen's teeth for the past year or so. Time was when about all I shot was Federal Blue Box copper rounds. Good ammo.

14. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I haven't seen ANY Federal .22 of any kind in over 2 years, save for one brick of Champions at my local farm store. I snapped it up as fast as I could. However, at Bass Pro I have seen American Eagle 38gr. copper hollow points a couple times, and I guess that could be considered Federal ammo...I got 4 boxes (160 rounds) but haven't given it a go yet.