Range day was yesterday

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Tommycourt, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Well yesterday I made my trip to our indoor range and shot 100 rounds with my LW Commander. I didn't take any more than 100 rounds cuz if I do, I know I will be wasting ammo. I was shooting at the human silhouette @40 feet. The head is not a full size, about 3/4 of a natural head. I shot 30 rounds in the head area with 1 flyer and the rest stayed in a 3 3/4" group. My flyer missed the head by 1/2" and the rest were all fairly well grouped-for me that is. The rest of the rounds I used for warm up and grip and used a couple of NRA slow fire 50 feet targets. I just cannot keep inside of the black circle which is the X, 10, and 9 ring. The ring I believe is a 3" black circle. I can't complain about the pistol as I truly believe that it shoots a helluva lot better than I can. And I don't think I can shoot it any better than I did. However I am not giving up. I will continue to do my weekly shooting and at least try to stay at where I am at or maybe a little better. BTW, I was using the isosceles stance with my arms 3/4 of the way extended. Anyway, I'm not Bill Hickok or never well be but I feel somewhat confident if I was confronted with a BG, if he lets me shoot first.
    Tommy:dizzy:

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Sounds pretty darn good to me,

Bill Hickok is awesome, but sounds like you could be blasting water battles and metal plates pretty good too.

Jim

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Hah. Plenty good enough shooting, Tommy. Remind me to avoid annoying you (too much).

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

VT, nobody annoys Tommy on purpose. I agree with Tommy in I hope the BG lets me shoot first.
    And no doubt Tommy is shooting better than I am.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

VT,
    Beware!!! You are on my hit list. I have close to a thousand water balloons that I can bombarde you with. Well, I lied, my arm won't last that long!!
    Tommy:rolleyes:

6. buster40c

I went outside and shot my Ruger sr22 today. I sure must be moving that gun all over when I pull the trigger. Out of ten shots I maybe have 6 in close pattern but still off to the right. Then I have a few zingers 3 to 4 " off pattern top left, right top, you name it my zingers go where ever. The trigger actually is pretty light on it so not like I had to be pulling it hard. I think I just have poor trigger/ hand control. I am pushing, pulling, dropping, you name it I am doing everything but the same thing every time. I really need be dry firing more and shooting more.
    LOL I could say the sights are off but the sights don't really move around that much one shot to the next do they?
    I need get my MKII out and shoot it. That gun I could shoot pretty good most of the time. I guess the sights are more stationary.lol

7. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,
    I have days like that a lot. There are days when you're just not comfortable so don't beat yourself up. Especially with a .22 cal. I don't care what anyone says, the .22 is the hardest of the calibers to shoot in pistol. Years ago, and I mean years (35?) I used to shoot league with a High Standard. Nothing wrong with the pistol and we had to shoot 50 feet slow fire. wish I had it back. I know a .45 is slow, but the .22, small projectile is I don't think I EVER scored a perfect 10X. That High Standard was a helluva pistol and the rounds only flying about 1200-1250 fps. We shot Eley (sp?) and it was only 1000 fps. It has a different grip, stance, sights, and just a slight change can cause flyers all over. Tomorrow you might go out and shot a straight 10 and then strut around like a peacock. Just don't ruffle your tail feathers when you do. :cheesy:
    Tommy

8. phideaux

Hey Buster,

when that happens to me, it usually pizzes me off and then I go get
    the good stuff , SK match 1050 fps,....... that solves the problem some times, not always..:rolleyes: thats when I quit wasting ammo and got to the house..:mad:

Jim

9. buster40c

Well I went back out with my MK II and do shoot it better than the SR22 for sure but I still should be doing better.
    I also took the Python out for the first time and was shooting 38 special. Geeze Louise what a trigger this gun has. I thought the GP Match Champion had a really nice trigger. Not to put the MC down at all but I know now that all the hype about the Python is there in this gun. I doubt the single action trigger is even 2 pounds. It seems like drop a hair on the trigger and it is tripped. Even in double action the trigger action is so smooth short travel and light I couldn't believe it. There isn't enough travel to experience any grittiness.
    I also was shooting the MC today also.
    I actually shot the MC with better accuracy I guess because I wasn't at all ready for the Python trigger. I had shots off before I was really ready. I mean to tell you that trigger is a hair like touch for sure.
    I need get out more often shooting. In other words walk 50' out my back door and get after it. I wish I could run a line on a circle but heck right now I am lucky to get in the 2" bulls eye. Actually I think I would be better taking an accuracy instruction class.
    I did get some better 22 ammo and maybe I would have better accuracy with them. I guess I will try them tomorrow.

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Light trigger! Maybe we should start a thread on them. "Shots off before I was really ready" is a 'kind' description of what I was doing last Thursday with my Virginian Dragoon. Hadn't fired it for several years, so had forgotten. Apparently, I have developed the habit of putting my finger inside the trigger guard and on the trigger before getting 'on the bullseye'. (Yes, on the target, but not lined up.) Can't do that with the Virginian's trigger. Don't touch it before you're ready!

I had just finished shooting two other wheelguns double action, that probably didn't help.

:p

11. buster40c

I had a Uberti single action that had a very light trigger also. Friend of mine shot it and he had a zinger which he followed with a wow. Have to be real careful with the hair trigger guns for sure. Unless I am at least pointing on target then my finger stays out of the guard.

12. phideaux

I love a light touch trigger..:)

If you ever come see me, Ill let you shoot the Sharps Quigley 45-70,
    it has dual triggers, rear trigger sets front trigger, once set, all pressure is taken off.
    Every person that has shot it , always has fired it prematurely.

It is so light, I tell them it will fire upon sensing the warmth of blood flowing,
    They think Im exagerating until they shoot it, then they say "you werent kidding man":D

It took me a while to learn how to shoot it also, but once you get it, OMG is it accurate.:cool:

Jeeeez Tommy, sorry , I just realized how much we strayed away from your OP.

Hey yall want a Light Trigger thread ....somebody start it..:)

Jim

13. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I did that ONCE with one of my SR191's. Had my finger on the trigger at the range, it was pointed downrange, thank God, and then BANG! My finger was inside of the trigger guard. I about crapped my pants. It's something I always have to think about because it could have had disastrous results had conditions been different. I think at times we become a little blase when it comes to handling firearms when outside or at ranges. You have to think safety all the times. Nothing is done intentionally, however we must remain vigilant all the time.
    Tommy

14. phideaux

I guess we were crossposting there^^^ Tommy.

But yep, Im missing a thum and 2 fingers because I got TOO comfortable and complacent in the shop .

We cant do that with guns,

Your right.

Jim