Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I was at my indoor range and needless to say it "weren't purty"! For some unknown reason I was flinching which I don't understand. Night time during the week I dry fire and concentrate on my hold, grip and trigger control. Today that went out the window. There was a guy there in the lane next to me I was talking to and he let me fire his Delta. I can say I was not impressed with it. The trigger pull was hard. I asked him about it and he said he had 2 of them and had this one measured and it was at 7 lbs. Other than that, he liked the pistol. Oh well, back to dry firing again and working on trigger control.
Tommy:confused:

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Hey Tommy,

Did ya ever hear anyone say that most time women shoot better than men?

Jim

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Im just wondering if maybe your practicing , get a little uptight, and trying too hard.

They say women dont get uptight , are very relaxed, no worries,
Thats why they usually shoot better than men.

My wife is very non chalant, and relaxed when she shoots, and she surprises the crap outta me, how well she shoots.

Maybe try leaving it alone for a week , then go to the range and see how relaxed you are, and see how you shoot.

Just trying to help.

Jim

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Take some Midol before next range trip. LOL just pulling your chain. I think Jim might be onto something. LOL I might be also so try the Midol and let us know if it calms your flinch.
I just wonder if what you think is a flinch is actually you dropping your head from target to your sights. Call me nuts but I wonder if you got on target then closed your eyes and pulled trigger would you have noticed a difference in what you are calling a flinch. Yup I maybe nuts but it might be worth a try just for giggles.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Look at post 19.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348677
Here is part of a post from lawenforcementservices dot biz
Another helpful technique is to control small motor muscles. For example, concentrate on not blinking
when the round is fired. One method to determine if you are blinking is to watch for the ejected
casing when firing a semi-automatic weapon. An ejected casing is only visible for a few hundreds of
a second, about the same time it takes to blink. Shooters who never see an ejected casing are blinking.
Blinking is a negative conditioned reflex. Reprogramming the brain to control the small muscles
used during blinking also programs the brain to control larger muscle groups. If you are not blinking
you are not flinching. When the round is fired a properly conditioned shooter will feel the spray of
burnt gunpowder on his face, see the slide of the weapon move rearward, see the ejected casing as it is
hurdled from the ejection port, and see the smoke curl around the barrel. At this point the shooter will
then become one-with-the-weapon, will harmonize with the weapon, and will have mastered mental
conditioning and trigger control.
Once trigger control is learned the weapon can be fired rapidly with accuracy. However, until mental
conditioning of the brain has been programed as second nature, speed should be avoided. If you begin
to develop bad habits (brain has been programmed with negative conditioned reflexes) always go back
to the basics (reprogram the brain with positive conditioned reflexes).

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buster,
I read through the thread you sent me and somethings I have to agree on. First of all I have to hold a 12 o'clock hold @40 feet. Which means that my sights are a little off. I talked to the gunsmith down at the range and he is going to look up about Ruger's dovetail and see if he can come up with something and we will talk next week. Ruger uses the same sights for all their SR1911's. I need to raise my front sight (by my estimation). Secondly and for me this is important-you and Jim have ranges in your back yards which I told you before, I so much envy you guys. When I go to our range, we are almost shoulder to shoulder so many times hot rounds will fly over into my lane and some do hit me. It really makes a difference when you can go outside and have a quiet area where you can set up your own targets, discs, whatever and if you feel like shooting 50 rounds, it ain't no big deal. When I dry fire at home, I am in MY element and not the range. My garage is only 15 feet long and I have a target set up to dry fire at BUT it's not the same when I go to the range. I dry fire with both hands independently using a 1 hand hold with each hand. I can dry fire and watch to see if my hands are moving cuz when I fire, I hold my position. These are not excuses, they are just my facts as I see them. Plus one more thing, I notice myself tense up when I go to the range and I think that is due to the noise that surrounds me. One guy will shoot a 9mm rapid fire, so fast I think he has a auto and the next guy shoots so slow that he and his buddy behind him are constantly bringing the targets back in after every second shot and checking their targets. I think I am letting other distractions bother me which is my fault. Also when sighting in, my front sight is the only thing that is not blurred. I only shoot using the front sight. But today I was flinching and possibly I am anticipating recoil OR not triggering the pistol correctly when firing. What think you guys??? Am I right or should I look for more to do corrections???
Tommy

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
When you say you are flinching where are your shots hitting? Low or high or where?
Maybe you have already done this but have you checked into any shooting clubs around your area? Around here some have their own ranges. Maybe there are some around your area. I agree in that ranges suck.
When you go to the range do you usually go with a friend. Do they have a video cam they could use to film your shooting? Have you tried using a random snap cap in the magazine yet?
Having my own place to shoot I should be much better than I am for sure. I have a friend come over and he can run the line on a circle. I wish I could do that but like bowling if you don't do it much you will not be that good. I suck at bowling also.

Attachments

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Tommy, Can you go out into the desert to shoot on government land?

We used to go out north I 17 when we lived in N Phoenix. That was a long time ago. I know it's grown a lot in the last 25 years.

Looked at the map, that would be quite a drive from Mesa. And probably too hot this time of year.

Is there any gov. land close to you that would be legal to shoot on? Just thinking about not being bothered by other shooters all around you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts