range day for the Rem 700

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by VThillman, Aug 28, 2015.

1. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I had swapped scopes with the Rolling Block .22 Hornet, so needed to sight in the 700 again. First time using the Caldwell Lead Sled Plus, discovered that only one of the 25lb barbell weights would fit under the frame tube. Turned out that 25lb is enough to tame the .270 Winchester. Also, because the parking area is about 70 yards from the 100 yard benches, 25 lb is enough anyway.

First, two rounds at 25 yards, 3 rounds at 50 yards, then to the 100 yard range. 3 rounds 3" low and 1" left, then 3 rounds in the bullseye, about 1.5" center-to-center spread. Good enough for the girls I go with. The barrel had got pretty warm, so I figured more rounds wouldn't tell me anything useful. Remington 130gr Kore-Lokt spitzer factory loads.

I really like the Timney trigger I installed. Timney set it at 3lb pull, and that's about right for a hunting rifle. When I'm ready I just think bang and it goes bang.

Gotta put the Ruger 77/357 on the Lead Sled, just to see how it will group with a couple home loads with my wobble out of the picture.

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Good shooting,

Thats what I usually do to zero a new scope/gun,
    25, 50, 100 yds. It works .

Jim

3. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Nothing wrong with that shooting! I used to start @25yds, then onto 50 yds and then @100 yds. Using my Remington 700BDL (7 mag) and 175 gr. Nosler partition rounds I wanted my rifle to shoot flat at around 250 yds. so I would set my scope about 2" high at 100 yards. I shot a lot of elk and my longest shot was a 400 yds whereas I aimed about 6-8 inches high and hit him in the spine. Killed him instantly as I don't want an animal to suffer. I believe my bullet fps was about 2900. I never owned a .270 but Elmer Keith swore that that was the round to use. I will say this though, the Remington Core Loks are good rounds for most any sized game like mulies and white tail. I would be happy with the shots you made Bob. Keep it up!!

Tommy

4. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

Sigh, wish I still had my Ruger bolt action .270. That thing would kick up some dust. But now that I have a 25.06 i dont feel to sad.

5. thumbuster

thumbuster New Member

Shot my first elk with a Rem 700 270win. Good rifle and cartridge.

6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

The .30-06 has fathered several cartridges. The .270 Winchester could just as well be called .27-06.

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I usually start at 50 yd's and hope I'm on the paper, works about half the time. (Big piece of paper.)

270 Win. Some say it is THE best deer cartridge. Guess what ever works is the best though. Heck, 30-30's been gettin it done for ever.
    One thing about the 27-06, Wally World almost always has some on the shelf. But they got it miss-labeled as 270 Winchester. :cheesy:

Ernesto, You shouldn't be too sad with the 25, you can shoot it off the bench all day and hardly feel it.
    Although you do get to be a little sad when trying to buy factory ammo for it.

Good Shooting VT.

8. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

Thats for sure, it's never on sale. Luckily it came with 120 rounds. I may have to buy reloading equipment. hehe

Oh, to the guy who wanted my brass, sorry. lol