Rack it x3

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by buster40c, Sep 7, 2017.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

This is about semi auto handgun safety. My personal feeing is that the semi auto is probably the most dangerous handgun made. Why do I think that? The biggest reason is because by looking at a semi auto, without a round chambered indicator, you can't tell if the gun has a round chambered ready to fire. The so called safety lever in the middle of the trigger IMO is a poor safety at best.

When ever you pick up a semi auto without intention of firing the gun at a target of some sort then always take these actions.

First, with the gun pointed in a safe direction and your finger out of the trigger guard drop the magazine if one is present in the gun.

Second, with your finger still outside of the trigger guard and gun pointed in a safe direction rack the slide at least three times. Never rack a slide only once thinking no round came out so the gun is then safe. That one time racking could have then chambered another unknown round from inside the gun. Always rack three times at least.

Third, with the slide locked open then inspect that no round is in the gun. If you follow these three steps you should never have a negligible discharge from a semi auto when you pull the trigger not intending to shoot the gun at a target.

Whenever you take any gun in your hand treat it as though it is loaded. Always empty a gun and leave loaded magazines out of the gun when the gun is being stored away.

Just one time not following these safety measures with a semi auto could cost you or someone their life. Remember anything out of sight doesn't mean it is safe.

2. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Don't understand the racking three times. You took the magazine out, where is a round coming from after two racks?

louchia and rugertoter like this.

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

If you drop the mag, draw the slide back and lock it, and look, you can determine if there's a cartridge lurking. There are limited places for it to lurk.

DParker and rugertoter like this.
  4. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

The old adage of racking 3 times is because it is one more time than necessary to clear the gun. It's just redundancy.

rugertoter likes this.
  5. buster40c

Bottom line is do it every time and you are safe. I would rather be redundant and safe then be concerned I wasted one extra rack of my slide.

People don't want a chambered round indicator or a thumb safety for whatever reason. Being overly safe doesn't hurt contrary to thinking what's between their ears is all the safety needed. Having a HUA moment could be your last moment.

6. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Some autos like the LC9s have a viewport which allows visual inspection for loaded rounds without racking. But, barring that, I'm in complete agreement with you Buster.

7. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Redundancy is not a bad thing.

I cycle the action multiple times, look in the action, and stick my finger in the action to feel as well. Some semi auto firearms, most notably tube fed firearms (handguns aren't the only ones) can easily hide a cartridge in the mag/ lifter. The 22 long rifles are notorious for this.

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Counterproductive to drop the mag in a tube magazine rifle.

9. buster40c

VT you crack me up. You just gotta twist the swizzle stick.

10. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

When my Grandfather past away,(he kept all guns loaded), the executer couldn't unload the Remington model 66. He had never seen a butt fed magazine tube. When I pulled out the mag tube and then worked the bolt, of course a live round popped out. My step Grandmother starts yelling "Oh that was loaded, you could have shot someone!"

11. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

??? You cant drop the mag, you still have to clear it though. Would like to have a dollar for every one that came into the shop with a 22 long rifle left in the thing when it was supposedly cleared.

12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

The thread was initiated re semiauto pistols, so I assumed tube magazines would be sort of unusual. Are there any?

13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Marlin Model 60's ( semi-auto ) are tubular feed...my circa 1980 model holds 17 rounds under the barrel.

14. Jschmatt

Jschmatt Member

RAP's and the 9E have the viewport also. SR9's have the LCI.

15. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

PLEASE don't just look through the view port to check if it's loaded. ALWAYS drop the mag and rack the slide and VISUALLY check the chamber. Not a bad idea to check the chamber with your finger either.

You really can't be too careful

16. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Do you have a pic of that gun, Shooter? I've never seen one (I think).

[Wait a minute - 17 rounds? This is a handgun?]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  17. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

No argument there. Viewports and LCIs are probably intended to confirm a chambered cartridge, not to confirm an empty chamber. The difference is fairly subtle, but in my "mind" it exists.

[Oops, assuming again. That's what I use them for.]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    louchia likes this.
  18. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

There are. And unusual too. I don't know of any currently being manufactured. I gave a quick look to grandpa's books, but couldn't find one. I'll keep trying to find the name.

The Nylon 66, a rifle, is where I was taught to operate the action multiple times to ensure it was clear. The Browning Automatic was another. They will hide a cartridge in the works. I felt it was relevant to the safety aspect, since they are offenders. Just helping to make the case for Buster since the question was asked.

The only tube fed pistols I know of that are currently being manufactured are the mares leg as marketed by Chiappa, Henry, and I think Rossi might still be making them. Repeaters, but not automatics.

19. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

You know, we were all probably taught to open the action on any firearm we handle, even if someone we trust has just handed it to us. I was in the LGS a little while back and the owner handed me a SIG 320 to look at. He didn't rack it. I did, and a dummy round popped out on the counter. There were two more dummies in the mag. Now, the owner is a LE instructor, state LE sniper instructor, and a local range officer. You would think he would be on point with his gun handling but he just forgot. Anybody can slip up or have a brain fart at any time. So yeah, safety overkill is appropriate. Perhaps I should rethink my idea of the viewport being adequate.

louchia likes this.
  20. buster40c

All it takes is to forget to remove the magazine--------rack the slide one time......pull the trigger and BANG. Rack the slide X 3.

And yes this safety idea should be used for rifles also. Instead of a slide you might have a bolt but it amounts to the same thing.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017