Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, its been a couple months since I dropped my pursuit of that Sharps 45-70 rifle. I been in a slump lately, but I havent forgot this one.

They say "good things come to those who wait", I think they are right.

I called the guy back today, just to see if he still had it , he did. When I talked to him befor , I couldnt get any conversation going, today he said "make me an offer", I did , we negotiated, I went and got my brand new(mfg in 1980) never fired Pedersoli Sharps 1874, Quigley, 45-70 rifle.
That is pure German silver on the forearm.

I think I got a fair deal , considering its never been fired and not the slightest blemish anywhere. $1100.00 OTD.(Cabelas and auctions are running $2000 and up)

I gotta get me a good venier adj rear sight set, and see what this thing can do LOOONNNG distance. 1000 yds + , with open sights? Everyone says it will hit man size target at 1200, with high energy, with 300 to 500 grain lead. :dizzy:

I been seeing this plaque on his wall , and found out it had been there collecting dust for at least 40 years.
Yes those are real bullets and not pictures (hard to see that in my pic), I just had to have it . I offered $25 he wanted $70.
We settled on $40. Im happy. One guy said it was a collectors item, dunno, duncare, I like it.

the 6.5mm 160 gr bullet is missing.... any help on this bullet will be appreciated.

anybody here have one, or even like these big ole buffalo guns.
Sucker weighs 13 pnds.

Jim

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the one in the movie was a 45/90?
Mine is an exact replica, except for the chamber size.

There were 3 different ones made for the movie. They were made by Shiloh.
They were different barrel lengths , and different weights, for different scenes, they were all three 45-110 blackpowder. He was actually shooting blanks.
Only one has been sold, I cant recall what it sold for, somewhere near a bazillion.;):)

Reloading anything over 45-70 is a trick, not recommended, using smokeless powders. It can be done.
So if reloading 45-90,45-110,45-120 use blackpowder.

Ever heard the term "Thunder Stick" ?:)

Jim

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Next time your in the neighborhood ,stop by and shoot it.

We can only shoot one box though.;)
At $2 a shot , I dont practice a lot, :)
Gotta get enough brass to reload a batch first.

Jim

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Jeeper,

Thanks for the links,
I bought a couple hundred rounds of ammo, and am waiting until we shoot those up, to get , so called free brass.

I dont shoot it that much, but when I get a 100 0r so pieces , Ill reload a batch.

We like the recoil for now, maybe when I get a little older, I will lighten up the loads. That Hornady 325 gr Leverevolution is about all the recoil I want .

Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts