Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an Old Model Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. The serial number dates it to 1972. The gun is in 95% condition, and shows very little signs of use. It has had the transfer bar conversion done by an unknown previous owner.
I was attracted to it because I am a big fan of the M1 Carbine. I thought it would be cool to have a handgun in the same caliber. Not to mention I need something to shoot up a bunch of steel cased Wolff ammo in that already cost me one extractor in my rifle. :(

I know very little about these guns, so any info you could provide regarding history, pros, cons or whatever would be appreciated.

Is the transfer bar conversion a good or bad thing? Does it help or hurt value?

Now the biggie. I've always had problems with single action grips regardless of who made the gun. The old plow handle just doesn't fit my hands. I need something bigger to get a good hold on.
This gun has the XR3-RED grip frame and is so marked. I've tried a couple of grips labeled as being for the Old Model Blackhawks, but they don't fit. I've had zero luck with finding anything for the XR3-RED. Will new Model grips fit this thing? Suggestions?

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I would suggest calling Ruger CS about which grips will fit, they are really helpful.

I own the Blackhawk and M1 30 carbine.

The Blackhawk is lates70s, and is factory original with transfer bar, not a problem, and value doesn't suffer.
The thing is awesome accurate , much better than I expected.
Its very loud, and giant muzzle flash. IT IS a rifle round in a revolver.:)

The M1 is accurate, and sooooo much fun.

Love em...

100_5605 - Copy - Copy.jpg

100_5611 - Copy.jpg

M1 30 carbine.jpg

Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
The transfer bar conversion allows you to load all six chambers and carry the gun safely; the relevance of whatever else the conversion does is really your call. Collector's value probably suffers.

About the grip: I can only suggest that if all else fails, obtain a Pachmayr Presentation grip for an early New Model Blackhawk, and see if it fits well enough to let you use the gun - even if it looks crappy. Just keep the original grips for re-installation if you wish to part company with the gun.

In any event stick around here; RT is A-OK.

;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have one with the conversion, but I bought it at a gun show with the original box and parts. When you send one of these OMs to Ruger for the conversion, they return the original parts with the gun. Too bad the parts for yours got lost before you got it. BTW, the trigger is great, so all the talk about after conversion trigger pulls being terrible should be taken with a grain of salt. Rugers in general aren't famous for great trigger pulls and the conversion triggers are just like the rest.

I'm surprised you're having trouble finding grips. The "RED" frame was used in all Blackhawk and Vaquero frames from the 60s to present. The new model Vaqueros have a smaller grip frame similar to the first Blackhawks.

The Hogue or Pachmayr grips are a lot bigger the standard ones and may be better for you.

Mine is quite accurate and a blast to shoot. It's my favorite single-action.

·
Registered
436 Posts
• Transfer bar - to some this is a MAJOR no-no and will immediately cry about how it adversely effects the value. Unless it's on one of the much rarely models = non issue. People are way too quick to jump t the whole "it's collectable" podium on this yet far to understand to those that really see these as collectable also want a very clean specimen AND the complete package. Worry less abut the monetary aspect and just enjoy the darn thing. That should have more weight than the $ anyways.
As mentioned above, the transfer bar simply allows a safer manner to have all 6 loaded.

• Grips - you said it's the XR3-Red... TONS of choices! Hogue, Pachmayer, etc The XR3-RED grip frame is the most common and the ones still used on most of the lg frame SA's they produce now. Should be able to find one of the rubber baby bumper grips in most any gun shop's "used stuff" boxes for very little $.

The Blackhawk is lates70s, and is factory original with transfer bar, not a problem, and value doesn't suffer.
As it's a NM, it's design is that of the transfer bar thus there'd be zero reason whatsoever for it's presence effecting value. Te debate is when it's an Old Model that has received the change.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't mess with transfer bar I just bought a 3 screw Single Six This is very tight Pachmayr grips are not ugly! they fit nice and absorb recoil I use these and the big Hogues on Super .44 BH I like the Ivory from Ruger. They look good and are a little bigger than wooden stock grips. Value may not suffer, but a unmolested one is worth more!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts