Question

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by silveradoman59, Jun 11, 2017.

1. silveradoman59

silveradoman59 Member

Ok, I have a friend who has a Remington Model 700 BDL in .260 all factory. He said it has a lag between trigger pull and the firing pin functioning in the winter. Any other time it operates fine, no mods on this gun at all. I know the recall and free mod was for trigger groups that would fire without a trigger pull, but I haven't heard of this problem, any ideas what it might be?

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Oil/grease/semi-liquid crud around the firing pin.

3. allenr

allenr Member

I am going with you. I never heard of a seasonal malfunction. My guess is that the cold of winter is increasing the ill effect of crap in the gun.

4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I think VT is right.
    I've heard of oil in the firing pin bore thickening in extreme cold causing misfires.
    I'd guess moderately cold weather could cause the lag time you describe. :dunno:

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Get some lighter fluid and flush out the bolt and trigger group. Cleans the gunk out and provides a mild lube which is what you want in the winter. Make sure he isn't over lubing his guns and that he isn't using thick lube. I'd recommend Ballistol

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

+5......................

And I own a Remington Model 700 BDL in 7mm Remington Magnum

7. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I also own a 7mm Remington BDL which I have had for years and never had a problem. Just like any other weapon, you gotta keep it clean!

Tommy

8. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

The new 700 triggers suck!

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

LOL. Paul, You are an OK guy, but I kinda wish you wouldn't beat around the bush so much.

:D

[I swapped in a Timney, but mostly as a hedge on my luck.]

10. silveradoman59

silveradoman59 Member

I was thinking the same as you guys. But when I started to ask him he interrupted and said he had had it completely broken down and cleaned. I asked him what they used for lube after the cleaning but he didn't know. So I'm thinking it's not something like a dry lube for cold weather. Texted him yesterday to let me look at it, I want to see if there is any unusual wear in the trigger group. Haven't heard back yet. I plan to do a break down and lube it with some dry teflon lube right before winter weather, and have him shoot it to see if this is the problem.
    Just wanted to pick a few brains to see if it was a consensus. Thanks guys.

11. Uncle_Louie

Uncle_Louie 1968 Ford Galaxie 500 XL

I shoot skeet in a winter league and in the cold 20 deg or colder I have seen 1100's fail because of the lube they use. I soak all my guns in kerosene and put ever ever so little Ballistol on moving parts and never had a problem in the cold.

SGW Gunsmith likes this.
  12. allenr

allenr Member

While I agreed with VThillman about a dirty gum, the fact that the gun was cleaned and lubed eliminates that theory. Problem is we do not know what "cold" is in degrees. we know the gun works fine in more moderate temperatures but not in cold. But cold is relative. How a gun reacts at 30 degrees is not necessarily indicative of its performance at 15 degrees. I will bet that the gun had a petroleum base lube. Depending on the specs of that lube it might the rate of increase of viscosity is going to depend on the temperatures and the characteristics of the lube. It is feasible that a lube that is OK at 30 degrees is not so at 15 degrees.

Other than dirt or lube it seems the only other element could be the amount of contraction of the metal parts. A good fit in moderate temperatures could become a poor fir in very cold temperatures. That would be a long shot but if contraction were coupled with some kind of misalignment of part in very cold weather it could cause a lag in firing pin activation. That said, I'll stick with the wrong lube for the temperatures encountered.

OP, if you can get the temperatures when the malfunction occurs, I will be happy to research it. One thing about being fully retired is one has a lot of time to do things they might otherwise not do.

13. silveradoman59

silveradoman59 Member

I'm still waiting for him to reply to my last request for info. All he told me is that two friends cleaned and lubed it. If I had to guess I'd say Hoppes #9 or something similar. I agree with the consensus here, I think it was the cold temps. Last winter he was probably hunting in temps in the 20's or maybe a little lower. My first thought was the same as yall's. He works for the railroad and when he got home they went on vacation so I'm waiting for a reply. Thanks to all of you, I came here to see if yall agree with my assessment.

14. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

Still one of the best "packing grease" dissolvers of all time. Back in the day when I was buying Mauser 98's very reasonably, they packed those suckers in some of heaviest cosmoline I ever seen. No match for good 'ol kerosene though.

15. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

I replaced all my new 700 triggers with a Jewel trigger.......never looked back!

16. silveradoman59

silveradoman59 Member

That would be the only other fix I would come up with, paulruger. But still as of yet I can't get any more info from him. It's quite possible after a couple good cleanings the problem is gone. If I hear any more from him I'll posty more.