Question regarding P94 ejection.

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by iakobos, Aug 2, 2015.

1. iakobos

iakobos New Member

My P94 always extracts and ejects spent casings when it's being fired. FWIW, it's fired every bullet I've ever fed through it and never had a FTF or FTE while being fired.

However, if I remove the magazine, with a loaded chamber, and rack the slide to eject a live cartridge, it will extract the cartridge from the chamber but it doesn't actually eject it from the gun. If I let the slide go the cartridge goes right back into the chamber. I find it hard to believe, and a bit disturbing, that this is ordinary for a P series pistol. But this is the only one I've owned. Is this how they are designed to work or do I have a defective pistol?

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

But, it will eject the last round , if you have an empty mag in ?

Jim

3. iakobos

iakobos New Member

Yes, if there is a live round in the chamber and an empty mag inserted, it will eject the round when the slide is racked.

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

This is interesting. Sounds like the mag is involved in the ejection process.

If the 'clearing the weapon' procedure is performed correctly, the operator will see the live round and shake it out of the gun. Still a malfunction that invites disaster though.

BTW I have no idea of what a P94 is. Put up a pic?

5. phideaux

Im not at all familiar with the P94,
    but, it does sound like the mag has the ejector as part of it.

Instead of part of the frame or bolt,

Just guessing.

Got any pics of the mag or chamber area of the gun?

Jim

6. iakobos

iakobos New Member

I'll post some pics this afternoon and demonstrate the issue.

7. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I am guessing the top plate on the empty mag acts as a guide for the casing to be fully ejected. Same as a loaded magazine does. So without the guide the casing gets caught up.

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

9. iakobos

iakobos New Member

Here's a few pics.
    In the second pic you see an empty chamber. But.......
    The third pic shows that the cartridge is actually pulled back but not ejected. And if you release the slide and pull the trigger it goes, "BANG!
    When I lock the slide open and insert the magazine, the bullet ejects like it should. I believe y'all may be right that the magazine works to eject the shell.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  10. phideaux

Can you post a pic of the top end of the magazine?

Im sure the magazine is guidng/supporting the case for ejection against an ejector tab, or possibly has a ejector tab built onto the mag.

Jim

11. iakobos

iakobos New Member

Here's a shot of the ejector tab. It's part of the gun not the magazine. And is apparently held in the correct position only when the magazine is inserted.

Attached Files:

12. phideaux

Looks like you just solved your non problem...;)

The mag , when installed presses the ejector into position.

Not a big problem, IF you know thats the nature of the beast.

Jim

13. iakobos

iakobos New Member

My non-problem is a problem. Not only am I likely to forget, I have boys that will soon be teenagers and will want to shoot it. For their safety and mine I don't dare keep it. If I, and only I shot it all the time I might keep it. But it mostly sits in the safe for months at a time. I bought it to train my wife how to shoot for the target test of her Texas CHL (she passed with flying colors) and we don't need it now.

Thanks for the help.

14. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I think selling it is a good move; the standard gun clearing procedure is bollixed in this gun. However you sell it, I hope you pass on this 'feature'.

15. phideaux

If its a problem for you , and you plan for others in your family to use it... get rid of it for sure.

I have several guns that have some oddites about them that are out of ordinary, but Im very aware of these anomolies, and I dont let others use them.

Jim

16. iakobos

iakobos New Member

Considering, I have two other pistols (and several rifles) that all clear the standard way, this one is officially for sale. My habits for clearing a firearm are to ingrained to change them now. And I will pass along its peculiarities.

17. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Is that thing supposed to work like THAT???
    I might have to ask Ruger about that one.

18. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Yeah, I've been wondering about that; it doesn't seem logical that Ruger would design it that way. The clearing procedure is a universal standard in my experience. However, gun makers have done some strange things, eh?

19. oldschoolfool

oldschoolfool In the army now..

If it's not designed to do that, and it probably isn't- I have a P89 and it doesn't- call ruger, they'll most likely fix it or replace it for free- no one in my opinion, has better customer service.

20. iakobos

iakobos New Member

It's to late to call Ruger today. I sent them the following email. I'll let y'all know what they say.
    "I have a P94. When there is a round in the chamber, and I drop the magazine, and then attempt to clear the chamber by racking the slide the extractor will pull the cartridge out of the chamber but the ejector does not eject the cartridge from the pistol. If I let the slide go the cartridge goes back into the chamber. If the magazine is inserted into the pistol the shell will eject every time the slide is racked. Is this normal?"