Question on Ruger American pistol

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by 22shooter, Aug 27, 2016.

1. 22shooter

22shooter New Member

22 shooter
    Has anyone gotten into Ruger American 9 mm or 45 cal. Pistols the simplicity
    Got my attention. According to the rifleman mag.the 45 shoots a1 inch group
    At 50 yards , and the 9mm is2 and3/4 to 3 in. .Over 25000. Before break down.
    Any words of wisdom appreciated. thanks

2. 22shooter

22shooter New Member

22shooter

Has anyone had any experience with the new ruger American 9&45 cal.
    Pistols. They have both Been given good revues in 3 magazine reviews.
    Over 25000 test and the simplicity is great.

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Here ya go,

Hope someone with some Ruger American experience has some answers for you.

Jim

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have only heard good things about the RA.

Jim

5. Tamlibtoim

Tamlibtoim New Member

I have the Ruger American 9 mm. I bought it about three weeks ago. Have about 700 or so rounds through it. Mostly Perfecta brass ammo. It runs flawlessly with that, and Remington hollow points. I have tried Tulammo steel case and that gives it an occasional stove pipe. I have field stripped it and cleaned it twice. And I also removed the chassis from the polymer frame to clean. It is the most simple gun to break down I have ever owned. The gun is very accurate, more so than I. Mainly because I am still becoming accustomed to the striker fire trigger. I like it a lot .

6. mike5113

mike5113 New Member

I bought my American Pro (no external safety) last month and have 600 rounds through it. I love it,
    I have not tried it at 50 yards. I have no reason to shoot at that range. Most threatening circumstances occur at 30 feet or less. That's were I practice. I always admire shooters that hit at that range though. The pistol is extremely accurate. I practice more on speed.

7. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I have the American Compact 9mm. It's very easy to look good at the range with it. Very accurate.

8. RedSoxRugers

RedSoxRugers Member

My full-sized RAP 9 would keep up with my XD Mod 2 service model, but
    not my Ruger Commander 9mm.

I'll let you guys know how the RAP compact 9 shoots, as I go to the range
    on Wed.

9. micheal88kraemer

micheal88kraemer New Member

On this gun, my fiancé has it I bought it as an early valentines present and if you changing the mag while racked back load mag hit the bottom of the mag with a bump and it'll auto load a first round in the chamber! This is a great thing! I love this gun. They should be number one on the buyers list in the polymer line.

10. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Actually I find that concerning.
    It shouldn't automatically load a round.
    That's just a safety issue to me.
    Is this a new gun?

11. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Lots of guns do that. Mine do. When you slam the mag up hard into the mag well, it pushes the slide lock up and releases the slide.

12. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Very interesting!
    I've never had one do it (that I've handled or shot) that didn't have something wrong with it.

13. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

You have to really slam it in there. I first noticed it when shooting a friend's HK usp9. Then we saw that his walther ppq did the same thing. Then we tried it on the Sig, and the FN, and so on. All of them did it. My SAR k2p does it. I'm not sure if my Lc9s does it though. It has more of a slide lock than a slide release........

14. micheal88kraemer

micheal88kraemer New Member

I don't think that would be a flaw if anything that's a good thing. I tried with my glock 22 doesn't work on it.

15. BigDogJames

BigDogJames BigDogJames

My full size M&P 45, does the same.

16. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Actually, any bottom feeder will do that. You might have to really hit some of them d**n hard, but they will do it.

17. warbird1

warbird1 New Member

I have the American in 45acp. Very accurate and 100% reliable so far. Well made firearm. Recommend!

18. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I haven't been able to get my LC9S to do it but the grip is so short my hand is in the way during normal reloading. Hell I can barely ever release the slide without slingshotting it. When she locks back, she really locks back...

19. 67stingray

67stingray Member

Bought one in 9mm today to give to my son on his 21st birthday, let him have his pick and he loved the American. Got a steal from Witakers for right at $350 shipped brand new.

20. paulkalman

paulkalman Member

I have had a RAP 9mm full size duty model since the end of november. Here is what I have found in nearly 1000 rounds of use. I bought this as a home defense and range gun. It has had flawless operation since the moment I first used it. I am an every use cleaner so I would have expected that from a first line pistol. So that is a plus. It is very easy to break down and clean. That is a plus. It is beautifully accurate, typically 1" groups at 7, and 10 yards. about 1 ¾" at 15. That is a plus. It has very low recoil with both range and sd ammo The pistol seems to like 147gr the best in both range and SD ammo. The 17 round mags are great for 2 reasons, one is the capacity, two is how easy they are to load. Now to the negatives: 1. The trigger is really in my way of shooting marginal, it has a very long pull to what I call the front porch (or place where the sear begins to engage or drop), it also has a long reach to a rest release (if you believe in shooting like that) . 2. Even after a year, there are very few routes to customizing the pistol like adjustable sights, custom trigger parts etc. for a pistol released more than a year ago, that is not acceptable. Would I buy it again if in the same position? hmm, lots of plusses, only a couple of minuses. Probably yes.