Question on my new ruger SR40c

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by njsportsman, Dec 4, 2013.

1. njsportsman

njsportsman New Member

Hi new to the site. Just got my new Ruger SR40c. I have a question about the magazine disconnect and how it is suppose to work. I would think that you shouldn't be able to pull the trigger without the mag in correct? If so; mine isn't working because I can pull the trigger without the mag in and I made no mods. It is new out of the box. Thanks

2. 00b5

00b5 Member

Welcome to RT. Next time you go to the range, load one in the chamber and then eject the magazine. Now try to pull the trigger.

3. njsportsman

njsportsman New Member

Will do, like I said I know nothing about the mag disconnect. Thought it was straight forward just picked it up last night and was reading and getting familiar with the gun and just didn't get the mag disconnect. Thanks

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hey NJ,

I dont own a SR40c ,but try 00b5 says , may nee a round in to work.

Id like to invite you to go over to Intrductions and post a little about yourself ,so we can get to know you.

Congrats on the SR40.
    Welcome to Rugertalk.

Jim

5. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

You can still pull the trigger, it just blocks the striker from going forward. It's not something you want to do regularly as it could be bad for the striker itself.

So even with a round in it, with the mag out, the trigger will go back but the striker will be blocked from going forward, and the trigger shouldn't reset.

6. realultpwr

realultpwr New Member

Agree with Arizona, with mag out the trigger will pull just not fire a round how ever on my Lc9 which is hammer fired the trigger will not pull with the mag out, I have since disconnected it, but I have told my wife that I did... Since she has access to it she should know.

7. robshannon

robshannon sixtiesstill

I had the same questions and concern, so at the range fired 3 rounds off, pulled the mag and then attempted to fire. Striker did move but no round fired.

8. jimmyp

jimmyp New Member

Ruger says dry firing without a magazine in is a big no-no. I didn't know this at first and would dry fire it daily to smooth up the trigger. Suddenly I was having light strikes out of nowhere. Pulled the magazine disconnect and problem solved! You will also notice a very gritty trigger without the mag in.

9. kde71450

kde71450 New Member

Get Snap Caps to practice DRY FIRE.

10. Bigdrowe

Bigdrowe New Member

I also own an SR40c. I read in the manual that dry firing is perfectly fine, but always dry fire with an empty magazine in the pistol. If you go on Rugers site, you can watch a few videos on the SR40c.

11. Bigdrowe

Bigdrowe New Member

You may know the answer to this. Every so often my trigger sticks. New gun, only 250 rounds and I had Ruger fix it but still a few sticks here and there. If I did some dry firing with mag in, will that possibly smooth up the trigger?

12. jimmyp

jimmyp New Member

Depends on what is making it stick, or hang up. But...dry firing and shooting usually smooths things up. I also put a polished aluminum striker indicator in mine to replace the factory plastic one; made a big difference in smoothness. Ordered it from Galloway precision.

13. lefty60

lefty60 New Member

As to mag disconnect, I know that real men don't read the instructions :confused:

The answer that you seek and much more is revealed in the instruction booklet.

When all else fails, read the instructions :D

Just my 2 bits worth :tiphat:

14. cjs1945

cjs1945 Member

I always use snap caps, but Ruger states that it is ok to dry fire without them, but with or without snap caps it will damage the striker and mag disconnect if you fire it without a magazine in place. Only other method is to remove the magazine disconnect safety then it will not damage anything with or without mag, but that is kind of a personal preference thing.

15. bls

bls New Member

Gonna reiterate what others have said, don't dry fire with the magazine out unless you remove the magazine disconnect safety. With the mag out the trigger will pull no problem but the striker will then impact the magazine disconnect. If you do this too much it may very well damage your striker. Hope this helps, and it is really simple to remove the magazine disconnect, there's several comprehensive videos and guides out there to help you. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your gun!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014