Quality 22lr ammo

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by conservative, Aug 25, 2016.

1. conservative

conservative New Member

I am trying to do my homework before purchasing a gun . Since I am a newbie to the world of firearms having never shot any gun before I am heavily considering purchasing a gun chambered in 22lr. I was wondering what a quality ammo for defensive use. I know I can use cheap stuff for practice, but need to know what else I can use . Any brands or psecifications such as grain count?

2. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

This is my personal opinion, not a hard fact, but I don't think it matters too much which .22 ammo you use - just so long as it goes bang when you press the trigger. The .22 long rifle cartridge is not very powerful and it won't make the big, nasty, disabling injuries that 9mm or .357 mag can make. That said, more than a few people get killed by the .22 every year so it's not useless. Some guns will not shoot certain kinds of .22 ammo reliably. The only way to know if a gun will be reliable with a particular kind of ammo is to shoot a couple hundred rounds of that kind through the gun. Winchester SuperX, and CCI MiniMag, have good reputations for quality and would be a good starting point.

3. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

^^I'd agree. If I had to pick one brand of .22 for defense, I'd go with CCI. I've never had a problem with them. Good stuff!

Carl Crosby likes this.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

ELEY TeneX...when only the best will do !!

2016 Olympics

Petar Gorsa win his second .22 Medal at the last World Cup before Rio with Selection ELEY tenex

http://www.eley.co.uk/

Nuff said...

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

If you are new to the world of firearms, I would like to make a suggestion. Go to a qualified instructor and takes some classes to get familiar with firearms. Age does not matter and for some of us old pharts, a refresher class doesn't hurt either. With a qualified and certified instructor you will pay a small fee however that small fee is the best money you can spend and hopefully will give you many years of safety reminders. As far as a weapon, that will depend on you, how you feel after instruction and determine the reason that you want a firearm e.g. self defense, plinking, target shooting, competition and any other options. This is just MHO however you may find others may agree with me.

Tommy from the land of the sizzling sun-Az

Carl Crosby likes this.
  6. conservative

conservative New Member

Thanks I had heard cri was good but just wanted to see what people thought. Trying to do my homework. Won't be able to get training classes for about four months due to schedule so I am trying to use my time to learn as much as I can about things through research and questions . Thanks for the info .

7. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

If you burn these rules into your brain , so that you don't have to remember them, but they are just instinct... that's a real good start.

[​IMG]

Jim

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  8. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

I've found that with 22lr ammo there is indeed a difference between the bulk fodder and the GOOD stuff. It's not just packaging that make the costs higher. It's about the consistency in the components and thus at the range. While most firearms won't warrant the better ammo as they're not capable of wringing out that added performance, those that are are worth trying.
    What works best for one purpose just doesn't mean it's best for all.

9. louchia

louchia Member

I will agree with others, CCI is a good if not the most reliable 22lr ammo in any gun. As far as SD ammo in 22lr, there are different opinions as to weather to use Hollow point or round nose. HP 22lr does not really expand much. RN has better penetration.
    To help you decide, go on YOUTUBE and search "22lr for self defense". There are a number of good videos.

10. JRH

JRH New Member

Love .22lr CCI mini mags but are hard to find in stock anywhere.
    I have a Ruger 22/45 and am interested in what others think of ammo that would work well at the range in it.

11. spikedriver

JRH -

The "Big Name" brands should be your starting point. But, I'd say to start with the higher end loads, like CCI MiniMag, Winchester SuperX, Remington Golden Bullet, etc. Get a hundred of each and see how it shoots. I don't shoot autoloaders so I don't have jamming problems, but I've seen guns that would function great with MiniMags but not Golden Bullets, or vice versa. If those function well, then you can start trying the cheap stuff.

Oh I almost forgot - for a 22 autoloading pistol, CCI standard velocity (it has a plain lead round nose bullet) or Federal Automatch (comes in a 325 round box) are supposed to be made to function in those pistols, and are not terribly expensive.

12. R2D2

R2D2 Member

Found the Federal Automatch did not function well in Ruger LCR 22 or a Sig Mosquito many misfires

13. spikedriver

^^^ Perfect example of why we have to test our ammo. Automatch won't run in R2's gun. Hope you found another brand that works well R2.

14. R2D2

R2D2 Member

Most certainly CCI Mini Mags work great and surprisingly Aquila 40 gr copper plated LRN performed better that the CCI in the Ruger 10/22 (tighter groups).

At $.07 per rnd it is hard to beat.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/aguila-superextra-ammo-22-lr-40-grain-hv-sp-p-3436.aspx

15. kyhunter

kyhunter Member

All good responses above, my thought would be to try a few different rounds in the heaviest weight you can buy for penetration - just my thought