puzzling post-loading range results

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by DrDenby, Jun 9, 2016.

1. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

What a feeling!

Went to the range and shot all my own loads in all the handguns

Stayed mostly at 10 yards and had puzzling results.

All groupings were tighter. Noticeably tighter. Hell, 1911 45's were punching same holes.

Why should reloading make such a significant improvement in accuracy in handgun loads at such a short distance?

At 100+ yards, it is completely understandable and expected accuracy improvement.

But 10 yards? Where wind, gravity, etc is negligible?

Doc

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

It must be psychological, Doc. Your Inner Denby was not going to allow the reloads to perform poorly.

3. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

Ah, see, I thought that as well.

I love early at the range. Especially in the summer before it gets hot!. It is usually just me and a couple buddies that I have seen there for almost a year.

They live quite near and only take about 15 shots per day so are there just about every day.

Anyways, when I kept noticing the significantly tighter groups, I had them load a magazine of factory and a magazine of my loads while I was off collecting my brass .

When done, I asked one to put a magazine in the gun without showing me which... emptied magazine, went a target over and emptied other mag that he put in for me. Again so I never saw which magazines was being loaded with which cartridges or which was currently in the gun.

The reload target was again much tighter group. And I had no way of knowing which was which until he told me after I was finished.

Did this with each caliber, 45, 40, and 9mm the only one without a very noticeable improvement was the 9mm but it was still there.

Granted not completely scientific, but blind enough for me to conclude that it wasn't psychological.

Doc

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  4. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

It's magic.

Write that 45 load down....it's a keeper.

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Yep, looks like you found a load your gun likes.

One of the reasons your ammo is more accurate could be because your powder charges are more consistent. But factory ammo is mostly pretty consistent. What factory ammo was it?

One of the more likely factors that contributed to higher accuracy would be that your gun(s) really liked that particular load. Try shooting at 25 yards next time and see what happens.i had an interesting experience with this a few months ago. I was shooting my blackhawk for the first time and I was using Hodgdon universal powder and Berry's bullets. Now, before my blackhawk, I only loaded .357 for my snubby which has a 2" barrel. Now, my snubby liked the faster loads- almost maximum loads. Now, when working up loads for the snubby, I used data for jacked bullets, not lead bullets. Now, this was perfectly okay through the snubby with the Berry's bullets because they were still kept well under the 1200 fps limit on Berry's. (This is because of the short barrel) Now, I had been doing this for a while now so when I got my Blackhawk (6.5"barrel) I forgot to use data for lead bullets. I used a load my snubby like, 7.5 grns of Universal. (These are all with 125 grain bullets).

First time I went shooting I started at about 10 yards. Okay groups. Moved back to 25- half of them missed the 12"x8" target! Out of the longer barrel, the bullets were going much faster and the plating was peeling off(if you haven't gathered this yet, there is a HUGE difference between a plated bullet and a jacketed bullet).

So, anyway, I found a load a few weeks later that my Blackhawk likes. 4.7 grains of Universal. With these slower velocities, they kick hardly at all and punch hand sized groups at 50 yards. I've even shot my 8" gong 5/6 times at 75 yards.

So, you found a load your gun likes, without a big hassle. That's pretty sweet! But, check the accuracy at a little more distance just to make sure. Then write that load down.

Glad you're having fun!
    Keep it up and stay safe!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I would say you found the right load for that round. Put that in your recipe book and keep records on type of powder, bullets used, grain of bullets, and your COAL. (over all length). Each gun shoots different and some will like some powder, bullets, etc and some won't. Stay diligent in your reloading and make sure you record EVERYTHING. Also see what the ambiant temp was, wind if there was any, and anything at all that may affect your shooting. Stance is very important so try to remember just exactly how you stood. Sounds like you have a winner there Doc.

Tommy

7. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Or... you could smell the difference between your loads and the factory, after the first shot.

8. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

VT lol You will not cut the man a break. Don't even talk to me about pulling legs around here. Check your leg Doc because VT has just pulled it hard.

9. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Who ya gonna call............

leg pull.jpg

Jim

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Well, I am deeply hurt. Deeply.

11. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Don't ever admit it, VT. They'll never cut you any slack!

12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

What I figure. Try to help a guy out, suggest a viable alternative, I'm pulling his leg. Jeez.

13. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Gumpy I see you know where to apply the butter.

14. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,

I told you it was gonna happen!
    Being the gentleman that I am, I won't jerk on your leg this time. Now that doesn't mean I might not do it in the future. Besides, it has been a while and if myself or Bob or now Gumpy ain't gonna pull your leg you would think we were forgetting about you and you would sit in the corner with tears in your eyes as big as horse turds. Besides, you always said you wanted to stand taller and now you just got some help!!:spot:

Tommy

15. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

I know it is way off topic, but it is so nice to be a part of a forum where there can be this lighthearted talk.

I think this is the only one where it actually feels like friends talking.

As to odors at the range, welllllll on a summer day you can't smell nothing but the 2 outhouses.... whew it can get ripe :dizzy: .. you just hope you don't have to go.

Doc

16. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Just be glad Buster didn't use it before you got there...:gaah:

:yahoo:

It wont smell like any gunpowder you ever smelt.

Jim

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  17. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Yeah, burnt gunpowder smells great. One of my favorite smells. But, raw unburnt gunpowder? Don't smell too good!

Of the current powders I have, IMR 4227 smells the worst. Whadda bout you guys?

18. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

What is that smell

If we're talking about actual gun powder....... I'm told when it goes stale it has a bad smell that is easy to detect.
    Never smelt any that went bad I guess cause it all smells good to me, every time I open the can ..... ahhh, smells like fun to come when I shoot it.

Meanwhile, back at ranch.
    I've traded .357 Blackhawks around a bit thru the years.
    Right now I only have a 6.5" barrel (in .357) that I ain't about to part with. It'll shoot most any load at least pretty good.

One time I had a 4 & 5/8" barrel that was PICKY about what it would shoot well.
    If I worked up a load that only had fair accuracy in the 6.5", it was going to have very poor accuracy in that 4 & 5/8" gun, every time.
    But any of my loads that gave good enough accuracy in the 4 & 5/8" had very good accuracy in my 6.5" gun, every time.
    Don't remember any factory loads that could match my 'accurate' loads in either gun, some factory loads were off the paper at 50yd in the 4 &5/8 gun.

My most accurate .357 'magnum' handload uses a 170gr Sierra FMC bullet. No factory load I've tried shoots half as well as that load.
    So Doc, no surprise your loads are out shooting the factory stuff, that's why we load our own ain't it? ;)

19. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

Dr. D , are you going to share that magic 45 load with us or keep it a secrete ? At least tell us the powder and bullet.

20. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

Sorry, wasn't trying to keep secret.

Hogdon Titegroup powder 4.4 grains

CCI primer

X-treme bullet 230gr round nose plated

1.24" length

1911 Government

Doc

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016