putting hi vis front sight on gp100

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by Joew, May 17, 2014.

1. Joew

Joew New Member

I was shooting today using my 6" gp100 357. Normally I shoot white bullseye at 25 yards without problems. Today I changed targets to black bullseye at the same distance and had a hard time with sight alignment. I think with my old eyes and black sights and bullseye I need to change the front sight ( note: dim lighting in door range).

My question is, will these sights hold up or should I try a different front sight?

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hey Joe,

I dont own a GP100, but I have Hi Viz sights on some other guns, and I have had good results , and havent had a problem with them holding up.

Old weak eyes here for sure.

Jim

3. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

A Hi-Viz sight came on my GP100 Match Champion.....works great and easy to pick up on....

4. Whaler

Whaler New Member

I put a Hi-Viz sight on my LCRX and it made a world of difference.

5. mark

mark Member

To each their own. I shoot handguns a lot. For plinking mostly close range, hi-viz sights work pretty good as they are easy to see, but very hard for me to get precise repeat shots at any form of long range shooting. Work great for shooting cans in a road ditch. Not so good at small targets at 25-50 yards. Different light sources, different glow. I tried fiber-optic on one pistol for about 20,000 rounds, gave up. No tight groups. Black paint works for me. As for old eyes, thats what I have. I wear progressive no line bifocal glasses, and I can see my sights just fine. I did have a pair of glasses made with the progressive bifocals set higher up in the lens that work great, but mostly wear my regular ones.
    One of my guns is a newer SP101 in 22 cal. that I almost gave up on, till I blacked out the fiber-opic sight. I have shot it almost every day, for over four and a half months, double action, so you know how much I now like it. A set of Wolff springs also really helped.
    Just me...

6. Joew

Joew New Member

Thanks everyone. I will give them a try on my gp100 6" and if they workout for me, I will add them to my other gp100's.

Joe

7. Water-Man

Water-Man New Member

Dawson Precision makes a good front sight for the GP100.

8. Joew

Joew New Member

Ordered two hi viz front sights, one for my blued/black 6" and one for my 4" gp100's. I'll report back this Saturday since they are due to arrive on Thursday and range day is Saturday.

9. Joew

Joew New Member

Just got back from the range. Shot my 4" blue gp100 with the hi viz front sight installed. I installed the green fiber optic and shot 100 rounds, I couldn't believe the difference the sight made. I just ordered two more sets for my ss gp100's. ;)

10. Redleg

Redleg New Member

For me, the Hi Viz sight works great. Ruger also makes a red-ramped front sight for the GP100 that works pretty well if you have light in your firing lane shining down on it. I know what you mean about the black front sight against black bull's-eye targets.