Purchasing my first 1911

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by uscg721, Jan 3, 2017.

1. uscg721

uscg721 New Member

I received such great advice from everyone about which revolver to purchase for rogue Maine moose encounters (smile) I thought I would call on your experiences one more time.

I did indeed talk that Blackhawk away from my buddy and its mine now (big smile)

So I got into pistols/handguns after retiring from the CG and after the soon to follow glorious event of my children getting out of the house which meant I finally had some money for me!!! (then I learned they come back lol)

Anyway, I have shot a couple of 1911's (Sig & Kimber) at the local range and they are just a dream to shoot. I really want (not need) one!

I own a Glock 19, HK P30, SR9c (no kidding my favorite shooter), PPS, Nano, and a Bersa UC9. I like them all but I just shoot the 1911's better.

So price wise I'm either going with Kimber's entry level, SR 1911, or RIA. I want the SR 1911 but I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences with any of these.

I also had thoughts about getting the SR 1911 in 9mm because all but the Blackhawk are chambered in 9mm. Any thoughts on the 9mm version very welcome.

2. 00b5

00b5 Member

I have the SR1911 in .45. Nice shooter. Nice thing is that you can thumb load a Wilson Combat 10 round magazine. Even the last round!

3. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I recommend the sr1911. I can't speak for the 9mm version as I've never shot one, but the .45 model is sweet!

4. hodge

hodge New Member

I own both- a Ruger lightweight commander 1911 in 45, and in 9. Both are high quality, excellent guns, that are a great value. I know that there are lots of excellent 1911's out there, but I do not regret not buying any of them. If I were to do it over again, I'd still buy Ruger. Plus, they have excellent customer service.

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I have all the SR1911 Rugers, the regular size, the Commander, the LW Commaner and the SR1911 9mm. I would recommend any and all of them to you. I just got the 9mm and was pleasantly surprised on how much I like it. All of my other SR1911's I have done a trigger job on them bringing them down to exactly 4lbs. which really makes it a shooter. My 9mm has a 5.7 trigger pull on it BUT it doesn't seem that way. Very short travel and reset and it shoots dead on. I did replace all the grips on mine and put on Pachmar grips on them as I have long fingers. I will have a trigger done on the 9mm although it is not that necessary. I would NOT trade it for a Kimber or even an Ed Brown. The Ruger will shoot better or as well as the above mentioned. Where ever you put that front sight is where the bullet will go. If you are into reloading, then the .45 is the way to go - if not then buy the 9mm. I shoot on a weekly basis and fire 100-150 rounds at a time and practice double tapping. The LW is a little harder to re-acquisition the target as the recoil is more than the Commander or the full size. But with practice, you can double tap. I usually keep all my rounds in a 3" radius with the LW @25feet. I fired the 9mm last week for the first time and had no trouble double tapping. The gun will shoot as well as you can unless you are going to competition shoot and then you should buy a racer and load very light loads. I carry my LW as my EDC and will switch back and forth to the 9mm depending on the day. When Ruger decided to make the 1911 I had some doubts but they build the finest one on the market and if you are wanting a 9mm, then the SR1911 is the way to go!! Hands down it will shoot as well if not better than the Kimber. 9mm's are hard to come by but if you run across one, you would be foolish to NOT buy it. And if you are going to EDC then use the Hornady Critical Duty +p. The accuracy is great and not much recoil!
    Good luck with you decision!

Tommy

6. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Hi uscg721,

I'm also in the market for a 1911. Like you, I find them easy to shoot well.
    Mine will be used as a carry gun so it needs to be small enough to conceal fairly easily.
    I want it in 9mm but Ruger's new nine is a little too large for my purpose... Dang It!

After studying up on the smaller 1911s on the market I've learned some report the smallish 1911s can sometimes be problematic.
    Even if you go for a full size, I would recommend ONLY a brand that has a good CS track record.

I know Ruger will take care of any problems that might arise, no time limit.
    I believe Sig does the same for the original purchaser. Ruger doesn't care if you bought used.

After a couple of nightmare CS experiences with top name brand firearms....
    Good Customer Support is my first consideration when shopping for a new firearm.

Gee, I sure used a lot of words to say I'd buy a Ruger 1911 if they made the size I require.

7. uscg721

uscg721 New Member

Agreed Ruger's CS is second to none although I've never had to use it yet!

8. uscg721

uscg721 New Member

Outstanding! Thank you Tommy. I use Hornady Critical Duty for carry - great stuff.

9. uscg721

uscg721 New Member

Thanks Magnum Blackhawk and Amen to your signature!

Blue Lives Matter ... All Lives Matter
    Yes! I'm Deplorable, Irredeemable and Clinging to my Guns and God.

10. BigDogJames

BigDogJames BigDogJames

SR1911, Best 1911 in it's price range. I have three.

11. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Anyone handled an Iver Johnson long slide?

12. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

If looking for the tiny 1911 in 9mm, my best friend has the Sig and loves it. He uses the Critical Defense as his carry also.;)

13. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

14. uscg721

uscg721 New Member

Oldhand 938 I think it is ... I have edc covered at this point but I bet it is a beauty

15. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I believe it is the 938, I shoot with him Friday I will verify the model#.:cool:

16. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

The Sig P938.
    A guy at the range let my wife and I shoot one.
    Surprisingly accurate (at 50 ft) and mild recoiling for such a small gun. We both liked it.
    It doesn't have the grip safety and is more of a 1911 styled mini-gun than it is a genuine 1911.
    Would be a great 'Deep Cover' pistol.

Attached Files:

17. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

My wife really likes it! > I do too. ;)

After we saw one last Saturday, I researched them a little. They also make them with a 3.5/8" barrel.
    The above pic looks like the 4.25" barrel. (I'm pushing for the shorter barrel but it's her choice).

When a few hundred extra $$$ becomes available, y'all gonna get a range report.... :D

18. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Mag, (Jerry)

Now you know that pics are a necessity if you get a new SR1911 or another gun. If you don't post pictures, I am going to let Savage Guy know and you know how persistent he is about photos. If ya don't have photos, then it didn't happen or so he says. Since he is kind of the king of the world teckie, he kinda rules the roost on photos. You know, I know he even has a smart phone, the one with more than just numbers.

***********YANK***************YANK*******************YANK***********!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tommy

P.S. The Yanks are for Savage Jerry, not you!

19. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Just OK for you, Tommy, just OK!

20. uscg721

uscg721 New Member