Punching paper today

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buster40c, Jun 10, 2015.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I decided to try shooting again today but trying some other ammo per suggestion of Phideaux for perhaps better results.
    I just bought some Winchester Super X 1200fps 100 round boxes. I don't know if these rounds are actually supposed to be more accurate but I shot two boxes of them today using my SR22p.
    I titled this thread punching paper because I think it better fits my shooting skills. Hitting the bulls eye is a fluke for me. I am within a 6" circle most of the time though. It amazes me how I can hold the same sight picture but still get a way off shot. Heck I didn't think I sneezed even once but some shots looked that way.
    I was first shooting 3" right of eye and a little high so I adjusted the sights. I am more centered now and actually have more by fluke bulls eye hits. I realize the gun has a very short sight picture but I would think I would eventually be more on the mark. LOL I must be a really slow learner.
    Maybe I need do a whole lot of dry fire practice before shooting. Hah it seems when I dry fire I stay on the sighted target POA. Most all shots are from the table which is probably 10 yards at least from the target.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  2. buster40c

I got the LCR 357 out tonight shooting a box 38sp wc. I actually did better than I thought I was going to do since it had been a while since I was shooting it. I actually hit the bulls eye quite a few times.
    LOL no comments how bad my shooting sucks? I can take it. See Tommy I do make you look good don't I? What the hey I had a good time shooting. In a bad situation my shooting could possibly stop a threat but not for any competition for sure.
    I think I will go out tomorrow and have at it again. Not like I couldn't use the practice.

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Whats the distance?

Free hand?

Jim

4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,
    I would be ashamed to have to shoot under those conditions. Wide open area, no one around, peaceful and beautiful surroundings. Man do I envy you. There is heaven on earth and buddy, you are there!!! You just don't know how much I would like to have an area like that, I would give my left (?) something to have what you have. And as far as your shooting, remember, I have a lot of bad days too. Ain't no biggie! I find myself dry firing and hit the mark right on and then when I go to the range, I really screw up. I really think it's psychological. Maybe for some reason we anticipate recoil regardless of caliber you are using. When I go to the range, especially this last week, I dry fired about 10 before I shot a round. Or sometimes I will put a reloaded dummy into my mag and not look when I reload so I don't know where it's at when I shoot. I don't know if they make dummy rounds for .22, but if they do, it might be worth your while to try and do it sometime. Just a suggestion buddy. And remember, when I am at the range, I use the 2 hand hold and start off at 30 feet and then 35 and finally 40. My eyes aren't good enough to see the target at the 50 foot range clearly. Lighting there has something to do with it and my old eyes sure ain't what they used to be. Hang in there, and remember, you have a range that I would die for. What you have is great!!!!!!!!!
    Tommy

5. buster40c

I measured it at about 29' and yes I am shooting freehand, two handed, standing. Understandably I did shoot better from about 8' but I only shot at that distance maybe 10 times. I figure if or when I can be shooting accurately from 9-10 yards then I should be good to go for most any scenario.
    My shooting sucks accuracy but as it is would be sufficient hitting a torso.
    Yep Tommy I love living out in the country and being able to walk outside and commence shooting.
    I have only been to 2 indoor ranges and didn't like it. I have only been to 1 outdoor and thought it totally sucked. No divider between shooters so getting shelled by other shooters. I shoot ten or 5 depending on gun and then check my results. I like this most of all. Oh and it doesn't cost me a dime or gas to get there.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  6. phideaux

I was just thinkin...

10 yrds , free hand, age, eyes, 3.5" barrel, so so ammo, not really testing accuracy..:);)

With that in mind , I dont see a problem, probly better than most, if they be honest.
    Like ya said ..... an offender would be hurtin.

Now if you want to see how accurate the gun and ammo are, ya gotta do it different...right?:)

Just thinkin out loud..

Jim

7. buster40c

LOL Yeah Jim I should have an excellent shooter see what he could do with it. Just kidding.
    Today is Friday and decided to do some shooting with my Sig P226 9mm.
    Targets shot free two handed at 29' and about 60'.
    I do shoot better with my Sig for some reason. I had possibly sneezed more than a few times but over all not to bad for me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  8. buster40c

See the T for Tommy above.

9. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,
    That's good shooting!!!! Especially at the 60 foot mark. One thing about it, the bad guy is going to be suffering and that's what you want. I know I can't shoot like that at 60 feet cuz my eyes won't see the target clear enough that far. You outta be proud of yourself!! BTW, I'm glad I'm not good on the puter cuz if I put my targets up you would be laughing and sneezing so hard that you wouldn't be able to shoot again. Hmmmmm, never tried sneezing myself before I shot. You know what? I might help me do better. LOL
    Tommy

10. buster40c

LOL no I sneezed as I pulled the trigger. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. I don't know what it is about the Sig, maybe that inch longer sight picture, but I definitely shoot it better.
    I was experimenting today with not using the rear sights. Just eye the bulls eye, bring front sight up and fire it off. I think it did help my shooting. I will have to try more of that. I think concentrating on aligning front and rear sight up takes my POA off. I could be wrong but I think that could be my problem.
    The 60' target was ten shots so 3 never even hit the paper. I must have been distracted by that heifer in the field wearing a skin tight outfit.

11. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,
    Is that the heifer that was trying to get into your house or was that someone else. Who had the python the woman was trying to get? I do think a inch longer makes a difference. Been told that many times. I know that my accuracy is better with my full size SR1911 than with my LW Commander. You wouldn't think 3/4"-1" sight plane makes a difference but to me it seems it does.
    Tommy

12. buster40c

I have another 100 round bag of 9mm so tomorrow I will be shooting again. No need to clean the gun this soon. I wish shooting 9mm was as cheap to shoot as .22 but oh well.
    Squirrel Hunter & Phideaux don't you both have a shooting target set up on your land? Send some pics of your target shooting results.
    Tommy if you have a digital camera then you can download the pics to your PC and then upload to RT. If you don't know how then ask one of your grandkids how to do it. The kids today are PC smart for sure.

13. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,
    You are probably right. I don't know sh** about computers much less anything else, so that's what I need to do is get my grandson to come over and give me some schooling on the computer. Isn't it ironic, with all of our years of experiences and training and school of hard knocks, no body wants us. I tried to get a couple of part time jobs to help out with my wife's medical bills and 2 companies called me in and had an interview. I failed to pass both of them cuz what I know, they don't want nor need. BUT I did get a letter from the Vets and said they updated my records and now, when I die, my wife will get $400.00 instead of the $225-250.00 or whatever it was, plus I can have a headstone. Are they trying to tell me something that I don't quite know about yet? Oh well, who the hell cares!!!
    Tommy

BTW. When I shoot at the range, the only sight I use is the front sight. The target is blurry and the rear sights are blurry. I noticed a little bit ago you said you used the rear sights. If that front sight is on the target, you won't have any trouble hitting your object. Just thought I would let you know is all. Good luck!!!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  14. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Jeez, I dunno about you old coots. Maybe the gunsmoke has gotten to you. Geezers like us shoot way better when the barrel is at least 16" long; a scope is good too. The only plus about a 9 is the magazine capacity. Put 2 targets side-by-side, throw half the mag at 1 and the other half at 2, then see if each target got at least two holes in it.

;)

Tommy, the VA figures that $400 will bury you... in Potters Field maybe. That headstone they're talking about may be the footstone with your rank and outfit on it, that the Legion sticks the flag next to. I saw quite a few of them at the cemetery the other day.

15. buster40c

It isn't that the companies couldn't use us. It is because of the age thing which they can't discriminate but they do. Whenever filling in the job app and it says list every job you have had since high school just don't even fill it out. That is their way of finding out how old you are and over the hill gang cost the company to much so file 13 it goes.
    I think you could check with the auto parts stores for part time driver. Around here I see a few old geezers running parts.
    My sights aren't blurry and the target isn't either. I am near sighted and don't even wear my glasses when shooting. I usually only wear my glasses when driving. My glasses aren't very strong anyway. Ha Ha maybe I should put my glasses on when shooting. Maybe that's my problem.

16. phideaux

The lastest target pic I could find..

The first five shots out of the new 460.

woohooo what a nice trigger

Using Hornady 200gr xtp, off a rest.

Hung the 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 glow shot target , setup at the bench at 50 yrds. Used my little adjustable tripod for sighting,
    You might be able to see 1st shot it was 1" low and 4" right.
    I set the sights for 2nd shot by guessing ,as there is no info on movement per click.
    Not enough on windage or elevation(went 8 clicks on windage 2 clicks on elevation.
    Then for 3rd shot went 8 or 10 on windage and 3 or 4 on elevation, that was too much.
    Last 2 shots were a couple clicks down and right each.

[​IMG]

My house sits high on a hill, to the left, looking down on my range.
    This is where I do most of my shooting.
    The bench is on wheels and can move easily , It sits at 50 yrds 99% oftime.

[​IMG]

Jim

17. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Nice range, Jim. I would probably build something with logs behind the long butt, just for my peace of mind...

18. phideaux

Theres a 60-80 ft high raised railroad track berm directly behind those target rails that slowly curves around to the right, Theres another 100 yrd range 25 yrds to te right of this one.

Jim

19. buster40c

That is some awesome shooting from 50 yrds especially with a revolver. I doubt I could see the red bulls eye at that distance. Very nice range also. Probably best to make sure no train is on the tracks. I bet if train engineer heard that 460 he would mash the throttle. He might think a missile was launched at him.
    I weed trimmed today and heard my dog barking at something so after I was finished I retrieved my SR22 just in case. Turned out it was a turtle headed for my pond. I let the turtle live another day.
    So I figured as long as I have the gun out I might as well shoot some targets. First shot ejected but didn't bring in the next round. I thought what the heck is this. Every shot I had to rack the next round in.
    I looked at the ammo box of 50 and dang if it wasn't CCI quiet 22 @ 710 fps. They were quieter than normal 22lr but I still wanted hearing protection. No wonder it didn't rack the next round. This is cap gun 22lr. No wonder WM had quite a few boxes. The description is very small print. Glad WM had a 3 box limit.
    I plan on using the last two boxes with my single shot revolvers.

20. phideaux

Found another pic..

I have never even thought of a 18" barrel .22 rifle as being very accurate past 50 yards. I had it zeroed at 50 yrds , and it was shooting 1 " groups typically using Federal Bulk, with an occassional flyer.

So I gave it some time on the 100yrd range today,
    I have to say I was impressed that it held ok groups , at that distance and with winds at 10mph and somewhat gusty.
    I started shooting Federal Bulk , and was holding 2-3" groups typically with an occassional flyer. I could tell a difference in POI when the barrel got pretty warm at times, and when I let it go over 50 rounds without running the bore snake. Once I ran the bore snake, my groups got better immediately and started spreading out again at about 50 rounds.

savage100.jpg
    savage1001.jpg

this target has typical groups of Federal , then 2 groups of Eley in upper left corner. I never had a flyer with the Ely,
    savage1002.jpg
    Target on left is typical of groups using Federal Bulk.

Target on right was when I switched to Eley.
    First shot was right by 2" and high by 1"., 2nd shot (after adj) was right 3/4" and low 1/4"
    Then I grouped the next 6 shots to left.
    fvsr.jpg
    Im happy with that at 100 yards.

View attachment 5891
    range100.jpg