punching paper some

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by buster40c, Sep 6, 2015.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

The reason I added some is because my friend sometimes missed the paper all together. I think mine were all on paper luckily.
    She started out shooting her Phoenix ha22a. She shot maybe two and I noticed her thumb was bleeding. She did this last time she was shooting also. Cleaned her cut and bandaged it up then showed her what she was doing wrong. She was holding her support hand way to high over lapping her trigger hand. The slide was going across her thumb at the webbing to booger finger. She said she didn't even feel it cut her and if I hadn't said anything she wouldn't have known it.
    She was mostly on the paper but usually not close to the eye. She was usually shooting way low and right. I told her use her other eye for sighting and she did shoot better. LOL She closes her eyes when she shoots. She said she couldn't keep her eyes opne. I said you are shooting not sneezing so yes she could keep her eyes open. Oh Well She had fun shooting.
    Then I loaded up the Rossi snub with 38 special wad cutters. She asked is the recoil going to knock her on her hind end. I laughed and told her no this is a light recoil round.
    At first she did okay then her brain was kicking in for the little bit of recoil. She was shooting about two feet low. I use a 2x4 to hold down the bottom of the target roll of freezer paper and she hit the 2x4 a couple times. She said no way did she hit that low when it was a good 2' low. I showed her the splintered board with another bullet hole also. I watched her shoot and sure enough she was dropping the barrel really bad. Twice she pulled the trigger on an empty round and even she saw her drop the barrel then.
    I then had her shoot my GP100 M/C and she did a little better than with the snub. She seldom shoots and before she got her Phoenix from me she never even shot a handgun. So can't really say she did bad.
    I shot the Rossi and the M/C and I also did better with the M/C which was understandable. I don't shoot enough either but after about 50 I start doing much better. The other day I couldn't get out to the range because of my bum knee so I just stood outside my sliding door and shot at the hanging 4" wedges at the range which is about 45' away. I was hitting them with the little snub Rossi and the M/C. That little snub Rossi is more accurate than I am for sure.
    Anyway got to put some lead down range today.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  2. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,
    May I make a suggestion? Maybe it might behoove you when starting out a new shooter having them shoot a pistol or rifle in the supported position. If you don't have a bench or sand bags, you could always use some sticks and make a makeshift support out of them. You can X the stick (old broom sticks work wonderfully) and then wire or tie them together. I would help eliminate some of the recoil anticipation plus give them a chance to see how to hold the weapon properly. I know this sounds somewhat archaic however when it comes to new shooters, what we automatically know is something very strange to them. I am not trying to be a smart azz by any means, but it really can help. Years and years ago I helped train a youth group and we had the same problem with some of the kids so we actually made supports out of old broom sticks and used them for support. Just an idea and you can take it or leave it. It's hard to try to train young people today. I hope this may help you.

Tommy

3. buster40c

She also has a Marlin model 60 so she is used to shooting some. We were sort of resting our arms on a table for support today. I only shot one group from sitting and resting on the table because she had to help get my chunky body back up off the seat. My knee was not going to help me to get up so I wasn't going to sit down again to shoot.
    She has two problems. One she is right handed but left eye dominate but doesn't seem to see to good from her left eye so uses her right eye. Then she closes her eyes when she pulls the trigger. LOL a champion shooter she will never be but she enjoys shooting. I never will be a champion shooter either so I need shut the heck up.

4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Buster,
    Fun is what it's all about. Just put her real close to the target and she can have fun and you will save money on lumber. :D

5. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Sounds like both of ya had some fun,(I added some,;))

Thats the main thing ,

I remember starting my wife....I wasnt so nice, I started her with a high recoil 357.. then after that she really enjoyed shooting .22, .38, even 9mm.
    Then after a year or so she wanted to move up to 357 again.

Have you seen her VEPR 12ga?:);):cool:

Jim

6. buster40c

I shot about hundred 38 spl again this evening after the sun went down and did much better today. Just goes to show practice more pays off. I was pretty much in a 3" pattern from 29' free hand with the M/C but not with the Rossi snub. Now time to clean two guns.

7. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

I started the wife with 9 mm, then moved her up to .40 cal.....she didn't like the snappiness of the .40, then had her shoot .38, then .357. She really likes the 38/357 caliber. Next is the 1911 .45..........we'll see how that goes. She's really accurate with the revolver, so maybe I should leave well enough alone, but she really needs to try a 1911.:duck:

8. 6-Oclock

6-Oclock New Member

I'm heading out to the range after work this afternoon; recently replaced the recoil spring in my Phoenix 25 cal acp. My bad, after field strip/cleaning I didn't pay enough attention to the front (towards the business end of the barrel) of the spring placement. I cycled it about 15 times, now it's perfect... TIME TO PUNCH SOME PAPER! :D
    Funny how the Rep. from Phoenix Arms knew exactly what was wrong when the slide locked back and sent me a 5 pack of springs FREE OF CHARGE in 5 days, and Diamond Back Firearms has been sitting on the DB9 (can't bare to call it mine), for 11 weeks (originally quoted 8/10 weeks), promising me it'll be repared or a new one sent by 09/17/15 a total of 13 weeks. :mad:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  9. buster40c

The front springs on the Phoenix HP22A are a booger bear to keep in place while reinstalling the slide/barrel. Have to hold your tongue just right. LOL

10. buster40c

It was paper punching day today since the weather was super nice. I shot 100 .38 special and 1 .357 magnum from my LCR. I shot about 100 .45 round ball from my Kimber Ultra Carry 11. It had been a long time since last shooting the Kimber so it was way past its time to have a work out.
    I was just shooting at painted dot on paper and if the dot was on a bad guy then he wouldn't have asked what I shot him with. Good day shooting for me.