Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you protect the finish on a gun from a kydex holster? I have a Ruger SR9C and a L.A.G. Tactical holster.

The holster is fantastic and holds the SR9 so secure I have no worries. It lightly clicks in and smoothly pulls out. However, after using it this month I have noticed the area in front of the trigger is getting a little scuffed. The holster manual recommends using silicon wipes.

What is the best way to protect the finish?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Use a boned leather holster.

Or, if you really want to keep using the Plastic Pistol Punisher- follow the manual.

·
Banned
90 Posts
You don't! :D

(If you saw the well worn finish on several of my EDC's you'd understand. Surface wear is just something that you learn to live with; and, besides, it lends a certain, 'character' to the gun. What I have done in the past is, about, once a decade I'll send a dearly loved piece off to a plater, or refinisher, and have them dress it up for me. THAT was when I was younger; now that I'm older I no longer care! All the gun has to be is mechanically perfect; 'cosmetics' don't count.)

·
Registered
436 Posts
What RavenU said! If you need to have it all prissy and perfectly kept, tuck it away. If you intend to use it, especially as a carry gun, it's going to get wear. As gunslinger mentioned, get a good boned leather holster.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try some of the silicon wipes. Since it's my first gun I just wanted to make sure it was normal and I wasn't going to wear it out too fast!

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
I have seen plenty of holster wear from leather holsters, can't se how plastic can be any worse.;)

·
Banned
90 Posts
I'll try some of the silicon wipes. Since it's my first gun I just wanted to make sure it was normal and I wasn't going to wear it out too fast!
If the experience is typical, most of your guns will last longer than you; and will, ultimately, be pilfered from your widow, for mere pennies on the dollar, by a local gun dealer! (Don't ask how I know, OK.)

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Guns are going to get wear no matter what you do. If the kydex holster holds the gun more securely Then it is the better option. I cant go along with leather only idea, I have had kydex that locked the gun wear holding it upside down it won't come out yet draws easy.:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts