Proof that Johnsons Paste Wax works

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by phideaux, Aug 11, 2017.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Dug around in my safes yesterday, pulled out a few rifles (7 or 8) that have been in there , unshot, for a year or more.

I use a old white , cotton, tube sock and rub down the barrel and around the reciever, bolt, trigger mechanism, to see if I get any orange/brown residue.

Just to check em for any oxidation...man I was so pleased and happy I never found one spec of rust or oxidation on any of them.

I'm a firm believer in Johnsons paste wax , and a good dehumidifier.:cool::cool: Cheapest protection I know of.

I have a demumidifier in the Safe Shed that keeps the humidity at 50% or below .:)

sc-johnson-paste-wax-N.jpg

Jim

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Were you able to try the Ren wax to compare to Johnsons? I am curious if the Ren wax is worth the price over the Johnson wax.
    I use the Ren wax about every 6 months or less if I feel rambunctious. I have a dehumidifier running in that closet 24/7. I have to empty the dehumidifier bucket every couple days. I also have several types of moisture absorbent in the safe and other cabinets. No rust on any guns or mildew smell either.
    Fresh Step cat litter is mostly silica gel so it absorbs moisture and odors very well. And it's relatively cheap way to get silica crystals.

3. phideaux

Sorry Buster , I guess I never got back to ya on that Zen wax, but it dried up pretty quick also, and I never got a chance to try it.

Ya know how wax beads water , even on a car , I can.t imagine it not repeling moisture in a clean ,controlled enviroment.

I have a dehumdifier in my Safe Shed , that is draining outside,
    Our humidity levels here hit 80-85% regularly.

Ive not seen it above 50% inside the shed. I have golden rods in my safes also.
    Most time when I go in the shed ,it is 45% , thats what I have the dehumidifier set too. I have 2 hygrometers to check . One in the shed and one in the safe.

I just cant take any chances of a rusty gun.(guns)

Jim

4. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

There was a test done a while back to figure the best gun care/protection product. Paste wax failed early in the test 24 hours IIRC.. My favorite, EEZOX failed shortly after paste wax. 72 hours. I think the humidifier we use is what helps us the most. The test went on for 528 hours. The winner? Frog Lube, which I don't really like. :mad:

The test put steel plates treated with the products in the weather. I did a similar test on a much smaller scale just to satisfy my currosity. I used products I normally used. Left it in the back yard for a month. None of the products made it past 3 weeks before rust started forming. EEZOX lasted the longest for me.

Here is a video of the test I spoke about.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5F_QnEa-gc[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  5. buster40c

Years, eons ago, I had a motorcycle I had to leave outside in the Ohio weather so I greased up the handle bars really thick. Come spring the handlebars were rusted really bad. So much for grease keeping out moisture. The snow won.

6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Jim,

You're gonna laugh but when I built my new bed for my 1930 Model A pickup I used African mahogany that is 125 yrs. old. The sides are 16 1/2" high and 4 1\2 ' long. You can no longer get that size of wood due to the deforestation laws that they passed some 15 yrs. ago. Then it is trimmed in tiger wood maple so you can see that it is something that requires quite a little work to keep it pristine in our 100+ temps.
    Guess what: my old time remedy is Johnson's paste wax gently rubbed on and then lightly buffed. When I had the old wood bed on, I still used the Johnson's wax and it held up good. The new wood I put on sat in my spare garage room for 7 yrs. before we installed it and I just applied wax about everything 3 months. Just a light dusting. Some products will never die and you are using one of them.

tommy.jpg

tommy1.jpg

tommy2.jpg

Tommy

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2017
  7. buster40c

Sure hope you had that seat belt good and tight to hold you from hitting your head on the roof. I guess I should have asked which leg was shorter and pulled on that one.

8. phideaux

Man thats a beautiful truck....

btw, Tommy, I been building furniture for 40 years and been using Johnsons paste wax snce then, I advise my customers to reapply it once a year to maintain its moisture resistance, and have never heard anyone have a problem..

As the Monkees said "I'm a Believer".:)

Jim

9. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Sweet Tommy!!!