Project SR9...with red dot.....

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by bikeride4fun, Aug 23, 2013.

1. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

This is my SR9 project I have been working on. It has a Galloway Precision guide rod, striker indicator and red dot mount. The red dot is a Jpoint with a glock mounting plate...the gun also has a highly polished feed ramp and a Houge grip. I have been working on getting the red dot sighted in. Its takes some getting use to seeing the red dot move with the slide....When I get the bugs worked out of it.....this SR9 is going to rock....

Attached Files:

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Thats a great looking gun.

I like what you have done .

Very nice.
    Let us know how it shoots when its all tweeked.

Jim

3. bikeride4fun

Thanks so much phideaux......I will give a range report soon....

4. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

That is a awesome looking piece now biker. Look forward to seeing about how she performs

5. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

Nice... Often tempted by the optic mount every time I visit the Galloway site. Unfortunately can't use one on my IDPA tuned 40, and I got the xs big dot on my carry 40c, looks like I need another SR series pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

6. bikeride4fun

Thanks everybody....I got in bore sighted in. Going to try to get to the range soon.......

7. bikeride4fun

Going to try to get to the range this week.....cant wait to try it out.....:D

8. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm looking forward for range report also. Hope it runs good

9. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

I'm not sure why someone would want a red dot on a small handgun which is typically used for close in self defense?

To each his own but what are the reasons/benefits?

Just curious....

10. firefox

firefox New Member

Very cool looking set up. I have seen a red dot mounted on a .45ACP before but this is a first for a 9mm, for me. I love my SR40 and would like about doing something similar if you have success. Keep us posted on this project and range report when available.

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

11. bikeride4fun

Well I do not use the gun for self defense.....I bought the gun to be used as a range gun. And the red dot is on there for the same reason that anyone puts a red dot on a firearm.....:hammer:...I didn't know a gun had to be a certain size for a red dot...I have seen red dots on 22's and AR15......:rolleyes:

12. bikeride4fun

Thanks firefox......Well I spent the evening at the range dialing in the red dot.....It rocks......Takes a little getting use to, but its so fun. Throw the dot on the plates and knock them down. I am going to spend some more time and get it really dialed in with some targets......:)

13. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

All I asked was your reasoning. No need to get all defensive and rude about it. Easily seen you're not the self defensive type of shooter, more self offensive type of poster.:rolleyes:

You can mount the bombsite out of a WWII bomber on it for all I care.....It's just not something I've seen either at the range or in articles and I was curious why you'd do it as it makes the gun harder to holster and if chosen for defense, carry. Simple questions not intended for anything but simple answers

Honest questions not requiring an attitude. You don't wanna answer reasonably, fine, but no need to be rude.

To me Red Dots are used on, like you mention AR's and other guns such as target shooting 22's. I've got one for MK III use so I understand them......Just never thought to put one on a subcompact 9mm.

14. bikeride4fun

Its not a subcompact 9.....its a full size 9. And I am not a poser......period. I have several different guns that I use for different types of shooting. Just because you have not seen it ......does not mean that its bad..... You sound you got the attitude. There are a lot better ways to inquire about something than to dismiss it because you don't understand it....... geee......

15. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

Poser?????? What are your babbling about now?

Just asked what the reasoning was, nothing more nothing less. You seem to be making far more assumptions and reading things into verbiage that are not there.

Subcompact it isn't, I'll agree. But why the attitude?

And I never said it was bad, again you are reading meanings in that are not there. I just asked the reasoning. If it works for you, get with it.

It's your world fella, guys like me are just trying to live in it......

16. bikeride4fun

17. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

I'm running my SR40 in some local IDPA matches as well, are you still using the stock sites on yours or what have you found that works better...they are pretty dang small to begin with, my Shield has nicer sites (at least for my old eyes).
    Thanks in advance!
    Gene

18. J-Will

J-Will #Merica

Ladies. Take it outside.

OP, did you make the piece to attach the glock plate to the slide?? The piece under the glock adapter plate? Never seen one for sale. Looking good. I love dots on pistols.

19. bikeride4fun

Hey Gene.....I had to remove the rear site to install the Galloway adapter. This red dot works a lot better for me than the stock sites did. On youtube these red dots on Glocks are real popular. When I bought this gun it was to be a range gun, I have never carried this gun for PD. The red dot is fast and quick.....its has made a fun gun even more fun......:D

20. bikeride4fun

Hey J-Will thanks so much....the plate to attach the red dot came from Galloway Precision.....but I have been on there site lately and they have removed it. I don't know if they quit carrying it or if they are just out...... btw.....I am really a laid back guy on the forum, but I felt I was attacked by an old hater...lol