Problem with leading and key holing in new 22/45

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by drmike5000, Feb 11, 2014.

1. drmike5000

drmike5000 New Member

Hello folks,

I'm new to the forum. I picked up a new Ruger MK III 22/45 and took it to the range for the first time last night.

After about 150 rounds, it started key holing bad, and almost sort of back fired. At first, it would only key hole every so many shots, and I kept going (I should have stopped). Eventually, that's all it would do. I suppose I went through maybe 200 to 250 rounds in total.

I tried to run a snake through it at the range, but couldn't get the brass weight of the snake down the barrel.

Something was obviously wrong. Before the key holing, it was shooting OK for a new gun.

I took it home and had a heck of a time trying to get a brush down the barrel. Took several tries and lots of CLP. Finally I did and out came a significant amount of lead. It was caked circumferential around the rifling right at the end of the chamber (at the start of the barrel). Once I got it out and cleaned the barrel, it looked new and shiny. I couldn't identify any problems with the feed ramp. I did notice there was some trouble feeding in the beginning.

I was not using the best ammo, since the best ammo isn't available. I was using TulAmmo brass maxx and Aguila.

I own 8 pistols and twice as many rifles, and I have never seen this happen before.

Has this happened to anyone? I'm planning on contacting Ruger, and certainly switching to different ammo if I can get some.

Pictures show a normal group, the key holing, and the lead pulled out of the barrel.

Thanks a lot!

Attached Files:

2. bonefamily

bonefamily New Member

Welcome to the forums, drmike. Until you mentioned what ammo you were shooting I was think about the recent threads about how bad the Thunderbolts have been. Did you clean the pistol before taking it out for the first time?

3. drmike5000

drmike5000 New Member

Not thoroughly.

I ran a snake through it about five times, and I did check the bore. It looked shiny before I went. Maybe I should have done a thorough cleaning before hand.

I was going to tackle field stripping the gun and cleaning tonight, and maybe shine up the feed ramp.

From what I've read, it's a bear to put back together.

4. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Interesting thread. I have never used any of the ammo mentioned in this thread but it sure does sound like what happened to me with the Thunderbolts. Thanks to the OP for sharing. Nothing wrong with the gun, I'm sure; just the ammo.

5. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

I've had issues with the T100's leading, and take a brush and lead remover solvent to the range. Every 3-4 mags, I run the brush and have not had further issues.

I'm only shooting the T100 because it was all I could get at the time.

Never had issues with Mini mags, Federal target, or Winchester. Just can't find those in this mess of a market.

It ain't the gun.

6. drmike5000

drmike5000 New Member

No fly list

Redleg, your problem looked just like mine!

I think Tulammo and Thunderbolts are on the no fly list.

I just ordered some Winchester and CCI. I'll clean the pistol thoroughly and try again.

7. bonefamily

bonefamily New Member

Please be sure to let us know how things go after the gun has been cleaned and different ammo used....

8. weblance

weblance New Member

Most definitely ammo related.

9. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

There is no sense fussing at Ruger, it is the ammo. Tulammo and Thunderbolts are getting a well deserved reputation for fouling up bores.
    Good luck finding ammo, I have not found any in a while.

Gary

10. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Yes, use good ammo. Guys, good ammo can be found on the Internet. I have bought lots of shooting ammo from Cabelas, Natchez, and even Bulkammo on occasion. Yeah, it costs more than it did before the fools elected Obama/Democrats, but it is still affordable.

11. drmike5000

drmike5000 New Member

Update

So I disassembled the pistol and cleaned it.

I got my hands on some CCI blazer. I brought that and some Aguila to the range tonight.

I put almost 300 rounds through the gun. Not a hiccup. No problems. Shoots straight. I put a fastfire sight on the gun. Works great.

It was just the crappy Tulammo.

12. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Even in the present shortage situation I have sworn off crappy ammo. I cannot convince myself that crappy ammo is good for the guns.

13. drmike5000

drmike5000 New Member

I came from years of shooting 1911 .45's. I'm impressed with this Mark III pistol. It's fun, light, and some day will be cheap to shoot. At 12 yards I can put a clip easily through a half dollar. In this group some round are practically going through the same holes. Anyway, I'm happy with the purchase.

Attached Files:

14. drmike5000

drmike5000 New Member

Like the fastfire.

Attached Files:

15. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Nice! Looks like you have a shooter there!

16. spacepiggy

spacepiggy New Member

Exactly the same issue with the same gun, using Remington Thunderbolt. Attached pix is the scab of lead I cleaned out of the breech end of the barrel.

Attached Files:

17. mark

mark Member

I have that leading problem in revolvers, k-22 Smith, Bearcat Shopkeeper, and Ruger sp101, when I shoot Winchester M-22s, which works fine in semi-autos and rifles where the bullet doesn't have to jump from the chamber to the rifling. I have about 3,000 rounds of M22s that I can't use in my revolvers. Took a bit to sort it out...

18. mark

mark Member

I see the post I did about Remington ammo that I posted a bit ago is gone, and replaced by an earlier post. Or just removed? Did I do wrong???

19. paulkalman

paulkalman Member

I don't understand this. I have some thunderbolts left now I got during the winter. I have a 22/45 mk3 target I got in January. Except for a few rounds that seem a little weak on propellant, I have not seen this issue. Granted I thoroughly clean the barrel each time I shoot (every other week), but wouldn't everyone see the same issue if it were the bullets alone?

20. spacepiggy

spacepiggy New Member

That's what makes it so puzzling: clean gun+200 rounds of Remington Thunderbolt=scab o'lead

The 22/45 is once again spotless, I'm going to shoot the rest of the box (about another 200 rounds) this week and see what happens.