Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience substituting small rifle primers for pistol?
Would there be too much pressure buildup in the case?

I have small rifle magnum primers and non-magnum rifle primers. I am thinking of using them in my 357 magnum.
Just curious if anyone has experience working with primers and experimenting with their burn rate or pressure buildup in the case.

What would be expected?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve also used small pistol primers in the 22 hornet with no problems! And………I do know the 30 carbine was originally a rifle round!
Thank you
I’m going try out a few cases of 357 magnum with small rifle magnum primers and a low load.
Thank you for sharing your info.

I did own a Ruger Blackhawk with a 7 1/2” bbl in the early eighties. I sold it because every factory ammo I used would cause the case to stick in the cylinder.
After a time of shooting and hammering each case, it was no longer fun.
The gentleman I sold it to agreed that it is very common. I even gave him 250 cartridges of factory ammo to go with it.
I didn’t regret letting it go.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have this months copy of The Handloader magazine (July/August 2022 issue) and there is an article in it on this subject. Basically, you can substitute with a few things in mind. The rifle primers cup metal is a bit thicker than the pistol primer cups. Also be mindful of seating depth when subbing rifle for pistol due the the depth of the rifle primer cup being slightly deeper than the pistol. And finally it was suggested to return your powder charge weight to the start charge and work up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have this months copy of The Handloader magazine (July/August 2022 issue) and there is an article in it on this subject. Basically, you can substitute with a few things in mind. The rifle primers cup metal is a bit thicker than the pistol primer cups. Also be mindful of seating depth when subbing rifle for pistol due the the depth of the rifle primer cup being slightly deeper than the pistol. And finally it was suggested to return your powder charge weight to the start charge and work up.
Thank you for the info. I’ve been researching a lot about the subject. I’ve learned that what you’ve mentioned is confirmed.
I decided to load 9.5 grains of HS-6 over a 158 grain bullet with a small rifle primer.
I also loaded 15 grains of H-110 over a 158 grain bullet with a small magnum rifle primer.
I’ll be shooting that from a GP-100.
I went to the range but it was closed due to fire hazards. I’ll just have to wait it out or
I’ll have to find an indoor range which I don’t like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts