Price gouging on ammo....

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by bikeride4fun, Feb 23, 2013.

1. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

I have had the toughest time finding 9mm ammo...( not PD just full metal jacket stuff )...There is a gun shop pretty close to me that had some Blazer Brass, box of 50 for $37.95 plus tax.....I about passed out when I seen the price. The rest of his ammo was a few dollars more than retail..not that big of a deal. But I felt he was gouging with the 9mm because its so hard to find....Is this happening in other areas?....:mad:

I was also at the Wal-Mart a few weeks ago and asked the boy in the sports dept about ammo...he told me that these retired guys are there every moring when they put out ammo and buy it all up and resell it....give me a break...I cant do that I have a job and have to be at work...This ammo hording has got to stop sometime.....:mad:........Sorry for venting...:(

2. Will

Will New Member

All this seems to have resulted in the gun community feeding on itself. It's really sad to see. I make it a point to remember business that gouge. I never do business with them again... Which is why I have never ordered from CTD, and never will.

The biggest emerging problem I see is the so called "factory reloads" turning up in gun stores in plastic bags. Here is a result, not mine thank god. Luckily the lady that fired this escaped without a mark.

[​IMG]

3. giturgun

giturgun New Member

I need to see my bud at walley world and see if he could squirrel a few boxes away for me

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Maybe you got this email also, but in case you didnt.

I been buying from Midway for years, good people.

Just ordered some .45 LC brass yesterday , for half what everybody else was.
    Dear Valued Customer,
    In the spring of ‘77, I left the Air Force and moved to Columbia, MO to pursue my dream of running a gun shop. You see, I’d always loved the outdoors; especially shooting and hunting. Some of my fondest childhood memories involve shooting and hunting with my dad and brothers. Then, as an adult, some of my greatest joys have come while shooting and hunting with my wife, my kids, my friends and now my grandkids. I love this industry, I love our way of life and I love serving Customers.
    Now, our way of life is being challenged like never before and our Customers are responding with a flood of orders. In the 35 years I’ve been in business, I’ve never seen anything like this.
    We’re monitoring the political environment, our industry’s capabilities and our business on a daily basis and making policy and process changes to better serve Customers. But please understand, while we’re still able to get most orders out the same day they’re placed, you may experience longer than normal wait times on the phone or when you chat with us on the web. Also, it’s taking us a few extra days to respond to emails. Finally, we’re out of a bunch of products I know you want which breaks my heart. And when we do get them in, they rarely spend the night in the building because they’re ordered almost immediately. We’re tirelessly working to get products in the door and out to Customers as fast as we can. But, until supply catches up with demand, we’re having to limit quantities and backorders on certain products.
    One thing we haven’t done is change our prices because of this surge in demand. Prices do change from time to time as they always have, but we’d never change prices because of something like this. Our pricing strategy is one of the reasons we’ve put quantity limits on certain products. We’ve all seen certain products selling two or three times higher than normal, and MidwayUSA doesn’t want to enable that type of activity. Also, we want to serve as many Customers as possible when we receive high-demand products. If it’s any consolation, none of our Employees can order products with quantity limits (myself included). We’ve all agreed to put Customers first. And that’s the way it’ll always be at MidwayUSA.
    As always, everything we do is intended to be in the best interest of our Customers and we’re eternally grateful for your patience and loyalty.
    Thanks for Your Business!

Larry Potterfield,
    Founder and CEO of MidwayUSA
    Most are, but some are trying.....

Jim

5. bikeride4fun

Awesome letter....wish all business would be that way...

6. Seenya

Seenya Once a Marine...

The market sets the price. It's economics 101. If people are willing to pay the price, that's what it will be. We also don't know what he's paying for the ammo. The only other choice is price control set by the .gov and that's fascism. I don't think anybody wants that. (Well, maybe the left...)

7. Will

Will New Member

I would usually agree with your point about the market, expect for places like Walmart, midwayusa, and Brownells that have sworn off gouging. There is the market, and then their are people who take advantage of a situation and even make it worse. If we in the gun community are going to win at all we need to start sticking together and not eating each other.

8. Seenya

Seenya Once a Marine...

I agree about the sticking together part, Will. The gouging is brought on by people buying at those prices, though. If the product didn't sell, the price would come down.

9. lfpiii

lfpiii New Member

The guy at wally world was lying. Walmart has stopped ordering ammo because they can't get the extra 20% discount they got before the panic. Winchester, Federal and CCI told Walmart they must pay the same price as gun stores and Walmart said no. Early in January a memo was sent from the home office to all stores giving them a list of excuses to use when answering question why they do not have ammo. I got this information from a very close friend that is a store manager.

As for prices so dealers have become gready SOBs. Last week I was at a gun show and one dealer was selling 20 year old boxes of ammo as new. He was telling people that Winchester had made a retro batch of ammo. The truth was that it was old ammo forgotten by a local police depart for more than 20 years stored in an outside bunker.

I expect that a lot of new people to our hobby have been lied to and will lose interest in guns because of dealer greed.

10. barnetmil

barnetmil New Member

I wonder if the barrel was blocked.

11. bikeride4fun

I agree with selling at a retail price and making a fair margin...I know the business has overhead and has bills to pay.....But please, it was so obvious they were gouging on the 9mm......I guess I just get frustrated when trying to buy a box or two of ammo to shoot.....I just miss the days when you could go and buy a few boxes of ammo without the drama... :confused:

12. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Know your ammo! Buy "reloads" and you get what you ask for. VERRRY few ppl I'd trust to shoot their loads in my gun.

13. bikeride4fun

I still wonder if gouging is going on in other areas?

14. Will

Will New Member

I was thinking the same thing too, but it was at an indoor range with a person learning to shoot and doing it at a slow rate. The husband said there was nothing unusual, except on the destructive round where her arm recoiled like she was shooing a magnum.

I was not there, but he is a believable type.

15. bikeride4fun

I could see that happening.....does make you wonder....:confused:

16. Heater

Heater New Member

Midway USA has always been tops in service and shipping. I just got their latest monthly flyer today in the mail. Their price may not always be the lowest, but it is always reasonable, and sometimes they have really great sale prices.

I don't know what Wal-Mart is doing policy-wise now, but the last ammo drought they limited per person purchases and never raised prices. Around here, they were about the only ones to do so.

17. bikeride4fun

I have done so much searching on the internet looking for ammo....everywhere I try is out of stock......I dont mind to buy local....and I dont mind paying a few dollars over retail.....but $12.00 to $15.00 over retail for 9mm full metal jacket stuff is crazy....