Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy concealed carry ruger in next month or so and wanted to know what people on here prefer! Whether it be 9mm .40 or .45? I'm leaning towards 9mm sr9c right now and then later getting a 1911 .45. Just want to know the preferences of my fellow members! Thank you guys. 230 5'10 male if that has anything to do with caliber choice

·
Registered
992 Posts
Depends on your firearms experience and how big of a gun you're willing to try to conceal. I chose a subcompact 9mm because I wanted the smallest gun possible, that fired a full power cartridge. Others here don't mind putting a 30+ ounce 1911 on their belts. I would say, if you're relatively inexperienced and you want a subcompact, 9mm is probably best for you but you might like a 40 if you try it. I find 9mm to be perfect in my 17 ounce gun but 40 cal would be a little more than I want to handle.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Over the years, Ive carried 38 spcl, 9mm, 44 spcl, 44 magnum,...but for the last 3yrs , Ive felt most comfortable with .45acp.

My EDC....Sig 1911 Ultra Carry with night sights., and its IWB Remora LH holster.

100_4473_zpse6d0231c.jpg

Jim

Attachments

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
My choice is my SR1911 Light Weight Commander. I am 5'10" tall (I think I'm shrinking) and in Az the heat has a lot to do with it. We have just had record heat-61 days of temps exceeding 115 degrees and the Ruger tends to get a little heavy. I carry it concealed. As Jim stated, it depends on how familiar with a particular pistol. A 9mm does a good job however I prefer the big and fat slow moving round of a .45 cal. I am right handed and carry it on my right side with a 2 mag. holder on my left side. The 9mm is much lighter and with less recoil, your target re-acquisition might be faster, depending on how much you practice. You may want to start with a 9 and then if you feel the need, graduate up to the .45. Also take into consideration on how are you going to carry e.g. concealed, pocket, IWB holster, OWB holster, or open carry. Another consideration is the type of ammo you want to carry. Personally I carry Hornady Critical Defense which is a 220grn. bullet. There are a lot of things to take into consideration so don't be hasty in your choice. Best of luck!

Tommy-from the land of the sizzling sun-Az

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys. For now sounds like 9mm is the way to go and once I feel the need to move up I'll regift the 9mm to the mother haha.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Personally I think the LCR 357 is the end all for CC. It's light, can shoot 38 +P which is what I carry in it, and it fits in my front pocket. The trigger is awesome and reliability is also. IMO a revolver is the safest gun made. The price doesn't break the bank either.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My preference is .357 Magnum, in my SP101 with Pachmayr grips. With those grips I can shoot a box .357 and not get my hand beat to a pulp.

For a semi-auto, it's 9mm. I love .45ACP, but the ballistics aren't worth it when you have a barrel less than about 3 to 3 1/2" long, which is CCW length. If you can carry a Commander then I'd go for it, but that's a bit big and heavy for me.

·
Banned
90 Posts
For EDC I use two primary calibers: My first choice is 45 ACP; and my second choice is 9 x 19mm. When I'm out in the woods I prefer to carry either a 44 or a 357 Magnum revolver.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts