Polished the inside of my receiver.

Discussion in 'Ruger 10/22' started by 486, Mar 9, 2014.

1. 486

486 New Member

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

That looks good.

Mind posting exactly what you used and the process?

Thanks

Jim

3. Grizz12

Grizz12 New Member

looks good, how did you do it? Does it shoot any better?

4. 486

486 New Member

You'll need wet/dry sand paper starting with 600 grit to remove all of the anodized finish. Then go with 1000,1500, 2000, 2500 and finally any type of aluminum polish. I used Mothers for the final step. Be prepared for some sore fingers though.

5. 486

486 New Member

Not sure if it's going to shoot any better. I'm waiting to get my bolt and trigger assembly back from Andy Trivette. He's a gun smith here in NC. I'm really anxious to try it out!

6. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Thanks 486, good job.

Jim

7. jetspeed8

jetspeed8 New Member

Seems like a lot of work. Hope there is some benefit to it..

8. apeek

apeek New Member

I hope it works well for you. I wouldn't mind giving it a go. But I wonder???

I work with a lot of (non-gun related) anodized parts at work. I know ano comes in different thicknesses based on class. The stuff I most commonly see at work is CLASS II. I think it penetrates the aluminum approximately .001 and adds thickness of about .0005 (half of .001). IF this is true of a 10/22 receiver, removing the ano coating from inside, you would open up the dimension between the surfaces .001 (.0005 on one receiver wall + .0005 on opposite receiver wall).

Would the theoretical +.001 slop be a problem between he walls of the receiver? I don't know.

Please let us know the outcome of your removal of the anodizing.

9. kg4kpg

kg4kpg New Member

Wow, that's nice! I just started polishing the outside of mine. I didn't know they anodized the receivers, I thought they were all painted. I used Aircraft Paint Remover from Auto Zone/Performance Auto and it took the finish right off, inside and out. I wasn't planning to do the inside but that looks so good in thinking it over. I'm hoping I can find a good deal on a stock stainless target barrel for a good deal too and polish it out a little.
    Are you going to try to work it all the way to the corners?

10. thegatman

thegatman New Member

Very nice job. Will improve action.

11. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

Does it operate any better and.........what was the problem?