Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
That looks good.

Mind posting exactly what you used and the process?

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks good.

Mind posting exactly what you used and the process?

Thanks

Jim

You'll need wet/dry sand paper starting with 600 grit to remove all of the anodized finish. Then go with 1000,1500, 2000, 2500 and finally any type of aluminum polish. I used Mothers for the final step. Be prepared for some sore fingers though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looks good, how did you do it? Does it shoot any better?

Not sure if it's going to shoot any better. I'm waiting to get my bolt and trigger assembly back from Andy Trivette. He's a gun smith here in NC. I'm really anxious to try it out!

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
You'll need wet/dry sand paper starting with 600 grit to remove all of the anodized finish. Then go with 1000,1500, 2000, 2500 and finally any type of aluminum polish. I used Mothers for the final step. Be prepared for some sore fingers though.
Thanks 486, good job.

Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hope it works well for you. I wouldn't mind giving it a go. But I wonder???

I work with a lot of (non-gun related) anodized parts at work. I know ano comes in different thicknesses based on class. The stuff I most commonly see at work is CLASS II. I think it penetrates the aluminum approximately .001 and adds thickness of about .0005 (half of .001). IF this is true of a 10/22 receiver, removing the ano coating from inside, you would open up the dimension between the surfaces .001 (.0005 on one receiver wall + .0005 on opposite receiver wall).

Would the theoretical +.001 slop be a problem between he walls of the receiver? I don't know.

Please let us know the outcome of your removal of the anodizing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow, that's nice! I just started polishing the outside of mine. I didn't know they anodized the receivers, I thought they were all painted. I used Aircraft Paint Remover from Auto Zone/Performance Auto and it took the finish right off, inside and out. I wasn't planning to do the inside but that looks so good in thinking it over. I'm hoping I can find a good deal on a stock stainless target barrel for a good deal too and polish it out a little.
Are you going to try to work it all the way to the corners?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts