Poison Ivy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buster40c, Jul 15, 2017.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is poison ivy. I think it is but it grows like a spindly bush along the fencing but it doesn't really grow like a vine on the fencing. It had 3 pointed leaves that are most all small pointed leaves of three. The bushes do get berries but the leaves don't seem to drop off or turn color in the fall or winter. The leaves seem smaller and more jagged edges than poison ivy vines I have seen growing up on trees.
    I read that there are poison ivy that are more like bushes than like a vine. And Tommy or VT no I am not going to rub some leaves on my arm to find out if I get an poison ivy rash.

Attached Files:

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

It may be, but ....

it don't look like or grow like the poison ivy I have on my place.

Mine only has 3 leaves , and is always a vine.

ivy.jpg

Jim

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017

3. buster40c

It's hard to see by the poor pics but they are all 3 leaf. The leaves are just way smaller and more pointed edges than the vine ivy that grows around trees. Seeing how it has three leaves and now even the berries makes me think it is a form of poison ivy.
    It spreads like crazy even though it is more like a bush.

4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

If it's not poison ivy, it could be poison oak which tends to be more viney than poison ivy is. When I was a kid we crawled up in a tree that had poison oak in it and was later told by a neighbor after we done it. We went home and showered and tossed our clothes in the washer. Forgot to wash our hands when we threw the clothes in the washer and got covered with poison oak. From your pics it's hard to tell, but watch and see if animals crawl around in it. Most will avoid it however skunks and a few others, it doesn't seem to bother them. If touched by yourself, scrub down immediately and wash all clothes in HOT water and wash hands after inserting clothes into washer.

Tommy

5. buster40c

I know that the deer eat the berries in the winter. Deer are known for eating poison ivy berries with no problems from doing so.
    The leaves don't look like poison oak or poison ivy for that matter. The leaves edges are not as rounded and leaves are not as large as poison ivy.

6. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I don't think it's poison ivy. The poison ivy berries are a whitish color, not red. Poison ivy can grow as a vine, ground cover, or bush though.

7. buster40c

My pics don't show them but there are white berries as well as the darker colored berries. I would think taking a close up photo that I could take better pics.
    What makes me think it is poison ivy is the leaves of three leave them be and now the berries also.

8. allenr

allenr Member

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Thanks for that reference, Allen.

I tend to label 'poison' sumac as swamp sumac, because that avoids getting folks to thinking that common sumac is poisonous - a lot of folks seem to think that. Landowners who have tangled with common sumac are apt to be annoyed by it (it spreads fast, is hard to eradicate, and is of no use for anything much) but it ain't poisonous.

10. allenr

allenr Member

Good point VT,

Also somewhat unrealized is that poison oak is much more prevalent in western states than on the east coast and poison ivy is much more prevalent along the east coast and not so in western states.

11. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I don't think its poison oak or ivy. But then again I'm no expert. I don't even pay attention to it anymore. It apparently doesn't affect me, because I go tromping around everywhere it grows and I've never had so much as a red spot on me. I read that some people are immune to it so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. My ex would break out if she was in the same zip code with a poison ivy plant, so as a result she saw it everywhere she went.

Her: Look out, that's poison ivy...
    Me: Uh, we're in the middle of a parking lot. It's 3 pieces of broken green glass...

Guess who was wrong, even when he was right? Lol

12. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm one of those also, it don't seem to attack me either,

But I'm on the watch for it because the wife and all the kids and grandkids are allergic to it.

My oldest daughter is the worst, she has to visit a doctor when she even drives by it.

Jim

13. gumpy

gumpy New Member

It's exactly like my wife and I!!

14. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster could rub just a small patch of it on his bottom side and see it a rash develops. If it does then it's poison something and then instead of just sitting, he could walk around the room scratching his bottom. Develops good exercise and agility.
    :dunno:
    Tommy

15. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Spike,

Are you married to my wife's sister because they sure sound the same!!!! I would get the same answer!!!!!!

Tommy:cheesy:

16. WizardMaster

WizardMaster SHARPSHOOTER

Here, take a look at this...Me allergic? I get the itchies just by looking at poison ivy, etc...........:D

Attached Files:

17. spikedriver

Shoot, sometimes I walk around the room scratching my bottom just to walk around scratching my bottom...

18. spikedriver

Not anymore, Tommy!!!;)

19. buster40c

20. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Hey Buster,

if you pick a few leaves, rub the oil all over your arm.
    If you get a rash, it's poison ivy