Point or aim?

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by buster40c, Dec 21, 2015.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I wonder if any of you have compared point shooting to taking aim shooting? It is said that possibly in a bad case shooting scenario it is possible we might not have time for using sight aim shooting. I think I am going to experiment with this a little and see what results I end up with.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14K-qu6c1dA&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
    I would like to hear what ya'll experienced if you tried this at the range.

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I tried it with my .45 Blackhawk at 10 yards, and 10" is pretty easy with a little practice. At 5 yards and on in it makes good sense. The bogey can cover that last 10 feet in close to notime.

3. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

People,

This might be a good video however this guy has done quite a bit of practice with his shooting and timer. However, if you are unfamiliar with the 21' rule, you might want to take a look at it. In 1 out of 5 instances an armed person, weapon holstered, lost to a man with a knife and the BG was 21 feet away. In order to beat the attacker, and he is 21 feet away, most people will have to have their weapons drawn and at the ready to beat the knife wielding perpetrator. If you have not seen the 21' video, I strongly suggest that you look at it and learn. At my age, I constantly practice at 25-35 feet because I feel I need that much room to get my weapon out and fire. We all know as we age, our reflexes slow down and our re-action times will slow with them. If the perp is more than 35 feet I will try to escape if at all possible and then if not, then I will fire. I urge all who read this, if you are not familiar with the 21' rule, please take a look at it on Youtube and the various scenarios that they show. Best of luck to all,

Tommy

4. buster40c

I watched you tube videos on 21ft rule. Didn't come out good for the gunman most of the time. One thing to remember is don't be a stationary target. Move around and basically be moving away from the attacker while getting to your gun. IMO don't wait for attacker to move on you. Have your gun out and in ready condition when sensing a problem. I figure if someone is standing even thirty feet from me verbally showing anger with me then he is possibly thinking to control the situation in his favor. My hand will be on my gun and ready. If the BG then moves in my direction while still being verbal with me then he will see my gun. This is legal brandishing of a gun according to what legal defense says is the law. I am not going to wait for BG to move toward me before my hand is on my gun. He takes one step towards me still running his mouth he will see my gun barrel.
    Personally I feel OWB will allow faster draw times. Yank out a tight shirt due to IWB under stress, IMO/ not tested, would be much harder to deploy and fire a gun. It has been said and even shown many CC people are under an imagined feeling of self defense having a gun. I have seen videos proving this also. One gunman and room full of armed people the gunman didn't take a single shot in his direction before he had shot them. Even those with a gun under a loose shirt didn't get a shot fired because their gun hung on their clothing. The gunman was in and out while some in the room had a gun laying beside them.
    There is a big difference between punching holes in stationary paper and a moving target firing lead back in your direction. Take aim my hind end. I imagine in many cases I might not have time to aim my sights. But then again I don't practice like many of you possibly do.
    I think I have created more belief that I need be practicing point and shoot rather than take my time lining up sights knowing these old eyes and mental reaction comprehension thinking are not what they used to be. Anyone ever notice in the movie western street gun fights the guns seldom got to eye level before shooting? Think about that. Old saying seems true, "he who gets first punch in usually is the winner".
    I am really interested in the results of those trying this point and shoot trials.

5. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

"The most important lesson I learned...was that the winner of a gunplay usually was the one who took his time. The second was that, if I hoped to live on the frontier, I would shun flashy trick-shooting--grandstand play--as I would poison...In all my life as a frontier peace officer, I did not know a really proficient gunfighter who had anything but contempt for the gun-fanner, or the man who literally shot from the hip."

---Wyatt Earp

6. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I think it was Bat Masterson that said to clear leather in a hurry, but take your sweet time aiming.

7. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Seems to me I read somewhere that one of the government alphabet agencies trains its agents to aim at distances over (some distance I don't remember - 30'?) and point closer in. [Please consider this data to be rumor.]

8. buster40c

Interesting comments from you all.

9. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

If the slowest yahoo with a knife can cover 21 feet in under 2.5 seconds, and the fastest can do it a full second faster, practice point shooting out to 15 yards with a quick aimed follow up.

10. buster40c

Watch the videos. Real life scenarios often defy what's expected.

11. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

The problem that one might have is the BG will always have the advantage because in most of the cases he has pre planned his reasons, motives and the way he is going to strike. In Paris one BG was stabbing people in the subway(I might have it wrong but it was in a public area) and he slashed 3 people before the police got there and tased him. People were just walking along and he pulls out his knife and starts slashing. In the middle east and I forgot which country it was, knife wielding Jihads were running through the streets and stabbing and slashing. It's pretty easy to approach someone with bad intent because the BG can hide the knife under his sleeve and let it fall into his hand before you figure out what he is doing. You are not thinking about being attacked but the BG is looking for the least likely victim that can fall prey to his heinous acts. It's kind of scary to think you could be walking down the street and someone starts to pass you and then they pull out a sheeve and slash your throat. No matter how much you practice firing your pistol or rifle, or how fast you THINK you can re-act, you could be a victim. Just food for thought is all I am saying.

Tommy