Please rate these

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by tsveggie, Feb 9, 2017.

1. tsveggie

tsveggie Member

I owned a keltek p3-at and the trigger made it poor to group

So I am looking around an d I found 4-5 new .380 pistols

So please rate overall from best to worst the following:

Keltek p3-at
    Ruger lcp 380
    Diamond back db380
    Skky 380
    Ruger lcp2 380
    Glock 42

Thank you for your help

2. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

TBH, the only one of those I've shot is the LCP II. I liked it. If I ever buy a .380, that's what I'll get...........

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

If I was to get back into shooting 380,which I seriously doubt, I would most definitely buy a Sig P238. IMO the P238 is an awesome 380. I suggest you put it in the group for comparison. I was surprised how well it handled recoil in comparison to other 380 guns of even heavier weight, such as a Beretta 84F which is over twice the size of the P238. No it isn't as tiny as some you have listed but it still is very concealable. The Sig might be out of your target pricing. I suggest you don't shoot or handle one then because you might want to break your price target.

No matter what responses you get from others the line is drawn by only you which is best gun for you. Quite often people quickly gain a gun collection by buying according to what they have read or heard about a gun, only to find out the gun didn't trip their trigger. Sorry for the pun. Best advice is shoot or at least handle a gun before buying it.
    I have sold off probably a dozen guns because overall they just didn't impress me enough to keep them. Yep they were my first gun collection of undesirables.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  4. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

^^^ That. But, of the guns you listed, Kel-Tec, SCCY, and Diamondback seem to have somewhat spotty reputations. I'm kind of a Glock hater, but I'd go with the 42 over those others. But the Ruger would be my first choice.

5. boscobarbell

boscobarbell New Member

You left off what is, in my opinion, the best .380 out there: the Remington RM380. Absolutely reliable with whatever you choose to load, a reasonable size, and very well-built with an all-aluminum frame. The trigger is a bit long (which I don't mind for EDC carry), but it smooths out after a few hundred rounds.

6. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

I shot a Bersa 380 a while back that I really liked. It was a close copy of the Walther PPK. Comfortable and I liked the controls. Just another option.

From those initially mentioned...I'd have to opt for the Clock if those were my only options.

7. tsveggie

tsveggie Member

I guess I wanted at minimum a scale of sorts separating both LCPs and adding the keltek since that's the only one I've shot

My biggest concerns are aiming integrity through trigger pull and recoil

8. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Keep in mind for what these types of handguns would be utilized for, it's much more a point and shoot scenario and not carefully aimed and placed shots.

9. RogerRuger

RogerRuger Member

Bersa makes great 380 pistols if you are interested. I have the BT380cc and BP380cc. Both fabulous and never a failure ever. I also love the Ruger LC380. Love it.

10. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Hey Roger,

My wife is shopping for a carry gun. I've heard the Bersa is a little snappy, what's your take?
    She's fired a Sig P238 (.380) with no problem.

I keep pushing for an LCRx but she said she's done with wheel guns.

:usa:

11. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

I have an LCP, Bersa Thunder and Glock 42. The LCP is no range gun, so don't buy it if you are looking for that application. I take my LCP to the range to practice, but its short barrel reduces accuracy and it gives blisters after 50 rounds.

The Bersa is a fixed barrel, snappy pistol. It's in between the LCP and 42. It's okay, but can be ammo finicky. I never carry it, but it's in a very handy place at home.

Glock 42 is the gold standard. Easiest to conceal of all Glocks and it's pretty accurate and soft shooting bone stock. I added a Hogue grip, new springs and polishing to the LCP to make is a great CCW, but it will NEVER be a range pistol. You can shoot a Glock 42 all day long and into the night. It's my favorite semi-auto at the range.

***If you really want to shoot .380 and want something different may I suggest a Ruger SP101 or GP100 with a 4" barrel in .357 magnum and load it with .38 special. Replace the springs and polish it up and it will be sublime.

Attached Files:

12. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Ruger SP101 1.5" barrel .357 mag.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      47 KB
      Views:
  13. RogerRuger

RogerRuger Member

MagnimBlackHawk
    Sorry I have not responded. Busy
    To your question, my BT380cc is not "sappy ". But that is me shooting. A woman may think otherwise. However it is a beautiful pistol and heavier than the polymer types. I am a .380 fan. My favorite is the Ruger LC380 and Bersa BP380cc. Kahr CT380 is also a favorite and I use when total conceal is necessary. It is 7+1 and 3/4 inch wide. I think your wife needs to shoot a few different models. My wife has my LC380. See photo. ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1487024177.579269.jpg ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1487024207.912476.jpg

14. micheal88kraemer

micheal88kraemer New Member

I have the Remington rm380 it's a great pistol but some might complain about the trigger being to heavy or too long. You have to pull till you feel it breaking and sight in or you won't be on target. Now with that said. If I had waited I would have gotten the ruger lcp 2

15. tsveggie

tsveggie Member

Well m88k, that's an interesting description of trigger pull
    My keltek p3-at was too long and strong
    I could not sight it in at the end

My wife has a 9mm sccy 2nd gen. It has a long pull but if the pull is crisp it will keep its aiming point
    Which is why I asked about the sccy.380 because I want a more concealable piece than the 9

16. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

The only 380s I'd consider on that list are the LCP II and Glock 42. The LCP costs less and has the same capacity as the 42. But, you get an extra mag with the Glock and longer sight radius. Pros and cons to each.

I pocket carry the LCP II as a BUG and I love it.

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1487743327.968938.jpg
    ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1487743360.145617.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  17. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Member

1. Lcp 2,

2. Glock 42

3. Lcp

5. Kahr p380

I would not buy any other on your list. Added the Kahr. My choice...

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1487584300.697472.jpg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  18. boscobarbell

boscobarbell New Member

I really, really wish I shared everyone's enthusiasm and confidence in the LCP II. I wanted to share that sentiment...I really, really, did.

But now that my second LCP Ii has proven to be a lemon just like my first, I think I'm wait a bit while Ruger gets the kinks out.

19. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Remembering that a small, concealable, DAO belly gun in a sub caliber is NOT a "range" gun...but an up close personal protection device...that most likely will not even be aimed at usual self defense distances:

MY 2 cents:

1.) Glock 42
    2.) Kel Tek P3-AT
    3.) SCCY
    4.) Both Rugers
    5.) Diamond Back

20. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

My .380's

{ Circa 1922 }

[​IMG]

{ Circa 1972 }