Plastic trigger group?

Discussion in 'Ruger 10/22' started by Modeler, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Modeler

Modeler New Member

I have an older 10/22 with a metal trigger group and just picked up a new 10/22 Takedown with the new plastic trigger group. Will all the upgrade parts that fit in the older metal trigger group work in the new plastic trigger group? Hammer, bolt release, etc...

Is there any benefit to replacing the plastic trigger group with an aftermarket trigger group, or is the newer one adequate?

2. KMO

KMO Northern Arizona

I replaced my plastic trigger housings with metal housings, but after doing so, I feel it was really a waste of money. I never heard of anyone actually breaking one of these housings, and if they did, I'm betting Ruger would take care of the repair at the company's expense.

3. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

All parts will work. Unless you're going to change everything else to a much higher level, keeping it on an equal playing field with the trigger assembly, you'll gain nothing at all going to a fancy aftermarket one.

4. Modeler

Modeler New Member

5. DDubya

DDubya Member

On the TV show, Ruger Insider a few months ago, they showed a test where they dropped an 8# weight on first the metal and then the plastic trigger guard. The metal guard broke. I know it's the norm to call anything that's not metal, plastic. But this stuff is tough. I have two 10/22s with plastic and one with metal. I use them about the same amount and haven't noticed any difference in wear or performance.

6. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

The poly ones are a bit more precisely and consistantly manufacturered. Still no guarantee. I really wouldn't worry about it. I'd certainly bet the vast majority of people wouldn't notice the difference.

7. Reagan

Reagan New Member

I agree the polymer trigger assemblies are more than adequate for the novice and are durable.
    The Timney (complete) drops right in, includes a fabulous extended mag release, auto bolt release, hand assembled and calibrated to 2 1/2 lbs pull (smooth and totally repeatable)
    holds my BX-25 mags with NO slop or wiggle!
    Built like a Swiss watch! Oh, did I mention, lifetime guarantee?
    I don't think you know what you're missing! JMHO

Sent from my iPad using Ruger Forum

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013