Pistol caliber carbine thread

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by spikedriver, Apr 25, 2016.

1. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Ok, so I semi-hijacked a thread a little while back, with a question about pistol caliber carbines. It was suggested that it was a good topic for its own thread. So, here we are...and I'm real curious as to what our forum members think about them. What is the practical value of one? How effective are they for home defense/personal protection. Best brand/model? Best caliber? How about cowboy guns? There are a million topics here and I'd like to hear everybody's story, especially personal experiences. I have never owned a pistol caliber carbine but I'm looking hard at a .357/.38 lever gun for a house gun. What do you all think?

2. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I just bought a Hi-Point carbine in 9mm. Still waiting for it to arrive at my FFL.

As for the .357/.38 lever guns, from what I've seen, Henry is sorta the king these days. I've always wanted one but ended up spending the $500+ on something else. Which .357 are you pondering?

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Well... I have 3 pistol caliber carbines. A Browning B-92 (Winchester 1892 clone) in .44 Mag; A Ruger 77/357; a Hi-point 4095TS (.40S&W).

If by 'house gun' you mean for in-the-house defense, The Hi-Point is the only one of those that makes any sense. It is compact enough, goes bang when you pull the trigger, and is happy to go bang-bang-bang without you working the action. The JHP bullet will raise sufficient hell in a center-of-mass hit, and has a better-than-the-other-two chance of not doing collateral damage two houses away if it hits something first.

You must have more in mind than that, eh?

4. spikedriver

^^ VT actually no, it's just for the house, and possibly for fun on range days. But what I'm thinking is, the AR is too much of a good thing for the house. Too much boom, too much speed. And "black" pistol caliber carbines look too tactical. Levers are easy, simple, and very fast. +P .38 should be quite effective from a 16 inch tube, and .357 even moreso. And, if I should ever have to use it, it's just an ol' cowboy looking gun, not a tactical killing machine. It just happens to be efficient for self defense. Or so it would seem, but I've never read anything about one being used or even tested for that purpose.

5. spikedriver

Savageguy I'm thinking Marlin right now, but Henry or one of the European made Winchester clones could be possible.

6. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I am very fond of all my Carbine/Rifles that shoot handgun calibers,
    Makes for some interesting reloading fun.

I have multiple carbine/rifles in
    .357/.38 spcl,
    44 mag,/44 spcl
    45 acp,
    9MM,

I also have it in reverse.....I have some carbine/rifle calibers in handguns,
    30 carbine,
    45LC ( can go either way..;))
    45-70,

Ya know it makes range time more fun also, and simpler to shoot long guns and handguns of same caliber on same trip...:cool:

Jim

7. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Yeah I get it. Not sure if a gun as cheap as the H-P can be sold to a jury as 'too tactical', but I think I'll pass on the rest of this discussion; it's for folks who have more to live for.

8. spikedriver

Jim would you trust your .357/.38 as a house gun? Especially if you put a red dot on it?

9. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Fabulous idea.
    I've only owned two lever guns in pistol calibers. A .22 Mag (pistol?) and a .357 Mag. Both were fun guns and compact enough for a house gun.
    A 125gr .357 bullet screaming out of an 18" tube...... I'd feel well armed.

10. phideaux

I wouldn't have a problem relying on a .357 carbine for house gun,

It wouldn't be my first choice though.

If ya miss first shot, or need a follow up,
    I just want to pull the trigger again..... know what I mean ?

Just me.

Jim

11. spikedriver

^^^ Point taken. But, the lever will always go bang for the follow up, whereas the semi may not - right?

I suppose I'm just trying to justify and talk myself into this gun, even though I've already got a 12 guage, a 9, and an AR in the house. Those should cover anything that would ever happen. But doggone it, there's gotta be a .357 lever out there that needs a good home, and I'm getting the itch.

12. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Spike, it sounds like the itch is the drive! I understand completely though because I want one in .45, ha. Hopefully I'll have one before I "shuffle of this mortal coil".

13. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Pistol caliber carbines, I have owned a few.

Back in the 80s I had a couple of the early Ruger .44 mag carbines. They were handy around he house. Wasn't much to pick from back then unless ya liked the .30 M1 carbine, which really isn't a pistol caliber. But a few pistols are made to shoot it. I had a couple of those too. I sued the .30s more than the .44s cause of the quick reload with the detachaable mags.

I had a couple of the Marlin .44 mag lever guns in the 90s and one .357/.38. They were fun guns. Some might say that they are overpenerative for home defense, but I just don't see much difference between the 9 mil and a hot .38 spl. I did not use them for HD. cause I had a Thompson .45 semi at the time. I liked the caliber, but the gun was heavy as hell. The lever guns were mostly plinkers and small game guns for close ranges. I had bigger rifles for hunting larger game.

Picked up a few used HiPoint 995 @ 10 years ago. They were the old fugly ones. Worked just fine. Never could seem to hang onto one fore very long. Someone would alwsys want to trade me something for them after they fired them. Last one i had was a 995TS witha laser/light/vertical forend combo. It was a good gun for when things would go bump in the night. Again someone offered me something I could not refuse for it. I am currently looking for a used one around the gunshows in .45 cal. However, they are hard to come by used around here. Plenty of 9s floating around, but I want a .45. Might just have to get a new one.

Almost forgot one. I swapped my way into a Kel Teck Sub 2000 (S2K) as it is known on the KTOG forum. It was in .40 S&W cal. Think it is mage in only .40 & 9 mil. It holds in half at the front of the receiver. It is also made to take several well known handgun mags as the grip works like a double stack pistol. The one I had used Glock 22 mags. It was very handy when folded and tucked into a backpack with extra mags and camping gear very easily. It's a bit hard to mount an optic on top unless that has changed since I had that one. Well made & reliable. Very portable if you can live without a scope on otp. It is hinged. Just fold it open or closed.

Two other ones just came to mind. Well, same gun. I had 2. The Marlin Camp Carbines in 9 mil. I had thise for a really long time. Ihardly ever fired them. They were too pretty to drag through the woods. They had nicely finiished hardwood stocs. One was boxx stock and the other had been owned by a suppressor dealer I know at the gunshows. He used it as a display gn and never fired it. He sold it to me when he quit the shows. it was threaded for a can which I did not have. It came with a barrel nut. Both guns were VERY accurate out to 100 yds. Guess the micro groove barrels were good for that. I had 4X scopes on them. Great for shooting pests in the yard. They had to go witha bunch of others when I was forced to retire early in 2005. I really wanted one in .45, but never found one. I heard a few years later that they had been discontinued.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2016
    mrmike7189 likes this.
  14. phideaux

This is the Sub 2k that Pancho referred to,

Mine is 9mm , and uses Glock mags.

Of course they come with black plastic where the walnut wood is...

I just had to replace that black plastic....

Very accurate and reliable... a little PIA to disassemble and clean.

Its sighted for 100yrds from factory and mine was dead on.

s2k.jpg

s2k2.jpg

Jim

15. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I've only got 1 and that's a T/C G2 Contender in 44 mag. I only have it because of a law passed a few years ago here in Indiana for deer season allowing pistol cartridge rifles for deer hunting and I refuse to hunt with a shotgun. I've also had some rifle cartridge pistols which have been allowed for decades,figure that one out. :rolleyes:

16. spikedriver

^^^ SH Iowa has a law allowing deer hunting with pistols, up to 15" barrel, but the ammo has to have a straight case - no bottleneck. So you see a few guys with contenders in .454 Casull, .444 Marlin, or even .45/70. That's way too much boom for my wrists. Too bad we can't use the contender carbine here. It would be interesting for sure.

17. spikedriver

I forgot about the Kel-Tec. Never shot one. I kind of figured that Kel-Tec pistols have a spotty rep for quality, so the carbine probably did too. BTW Jim that's a real interesting stock. I wouldn't have thought wood would go well with that gun, but it does.

18. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Thought about including this one, but it is a pistol caliber RIFLE not a carbine. Winchester 1892 in .44 WCF (.44-40). It's asmokeless model made @ 1905. Yeah, it's missing a few parts, but it loads & shotts, extracts with a pocket knife cause the extractor is broken. Well, it's here anyway.

[​IMG]

19. gumpy

gumpy New Member

That's a cool piece of history Pancho. Thanks

20. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Yea...real cool PV !!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016