Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Handy,

You really need to bring that up here so I can verify how well it does shoot. I know you aren't like Buster who draws circles after he is done shooting but I remember back in the military how we used to make M-14 bullet holes on our target with shell casings or a big pen. I ain't doubting your word, in fact, I am sitting here shaking with jealousy. Good for YOU!!!! You have a winner!!!

Tommy

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tommy, believe me the sights on this are small. With the lighting at the indoor range I had to cock my head back to get the sights into my bifocals. It is supposed to be dead on at 25 yards and 50 yards, I will try at 25 yards next time out so you will probably get a good laugh next time.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
How is the trigger action? Were you shooting dbl or sgl action? Looks good anyway. 25 yards for me is just to far away to be near good shooting. Tommy I use paint to make my circles because I can't even draw a good circle let alone shoot one.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Well I say that it definitely works! Nice piece of history you have there.
Here's my 100 year old colt:

Reactions: ifithitu

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I say that it definitely works! Nice piece of history you have there.
Here's my 100 year old colt:
A person used to be able to go to Numrich Arms and get a barrel and magazine so that your pocket pistol could shoot either 32acp or 380. Fine looking Colt you have.;)

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oldhand, mines a S&W. And yes, the sights are a bit to see for old eyes!.

Do you reload? If you do, get you some 45 Auto Rim cases. They are much better than than the Half Moon, Full Moon, and Quarter Moon clips. Even if you have the moon clip unloading tool.

I like to use the Lee 452-252-SWC bullet, the gun likes the long bearing surface. Of course it looks like yours liked what you were shooting pretty well!

https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/45-Auto-Rim-Brass/
https://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-452-252-swc.html

I'm tempted to make mine a "Bankers Special". I know Grandpa would like it. And I would probably want to carry it after the conversion, but a big part of me dosen't want to do anything to it. The Charter Arms Pitbull 45 tempted me, still does, just don't like the way the bullets snap into the cylinder. If it used moon clips or auto rim cases I would probably own one. And now Charter Arms is releasing the Bulldog on the large frame in 45 Colt! Now you are talking! Alas, I am making payments on a Ruger Alaskan Super Redhawk to ease my desire for a large caliber snubby. Just going to be a while before I get it paid for.

Here is a picture of a Colt 1917 that has been fixed up that I really like.
Over on the Colt forum you can see numerous Colt 1917 conversions as you depicted. Some with the open trigger guard known as the Fritz special. I'LL keep mine standard 5 1/2 inch barrel for now. Have a box of Auto Rims from Double Tapp, they are rated at 850fps. Shooting them raps my knuckles.:D

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How is the trigger action? Were you shooting dbl or sgl action? Looks good anyway. 25 yards for me is just to far away to be near good shooting. Tommy I use paint to make my circles because I can't even draw a good circle let alone shoot one.
The single action is sweet, the double will strengthen your finger.:eek:

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Nice! I assume that you kept the originals right?

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Nice Colt 1917 revolver.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts