Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I tried to sell my 30 Model A Deluxe coupe and ended up trading instead. I could have used the money however this was a deal I couldn't pass up. I got a 1951 Chevy, 3100 1/2 ton short bed, 283 eng. 400 auto trans, 12 bolt rear end with 3.73 gears and A/C. Body is super straight with very little bondo and nice interior. I had a chance to sell it the next day when a man knocked on my door and offered me $24k for it and I turned it down. Here are a couple of photos. A few friends told me I should have sold it but I haven't driven it 20 miles yet and it has some sentimental value as my Grandpa had one when my grandparents raised me and we went everywhere in it. I am too old to build them from the ground up anymore and what used to be fun has become work. Here are a few photos. Hope you don't mind that I posted them. I have more but didn't want to make it too many. I hope I posted this in the right category. If not then maybe Jim can switch it to where it belongs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Tommy, that is nice! I would seriously consider trading you my Stutz Bearcat for it - except I don't have one.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Wow !! Just wow for you Tommy.
BEE U TEE FULL machine.

Enjoy it for a long time.

Jim

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
It has AC??? Well heck yes you had to take that deal. Was it an even trade? I am wondering does the 283 have a nice loping cam in it?
My dad had one like that for his TV store deliveries. LOL It didn't have a souped up engine in it though. It was a straight six banger and no chrome wheels.
I would have done that trade in a New York minute living in the hot box called Arizona. Got to have AC.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Nice Tommy!!

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Buster,

I has an aftermarket A/C in it which needs to be recharged. I have a few little things to fix, door latch, recharge the A/C and a good hand paste wax which I will do in the next week. The guy who had it before spent a lot of money on it. Underneath it is super clean and was professionally done. My trade was even up for my 30 Model A coupe. Tonight at the car show a older gentlemen asked my wife what would the selling price be. She told him around $30K and he said he figured it would be pretty close to that. He stated he would come back next week and try to see if I would come down a little. Now whether he does or not is a different story that only time will tell. Around here these pick-ups command a good dollar as they are hard to come by. I really don't care if I sell it unless I can talk my buddy out of his 40 Ford coupe but that might be a chore as he has a 40 couple, a 40 panel truck and a 37 Ford with a 289 Cobra engine and 4 speed that was professionally built. I am happy with this truck and really don't care if I sell it or not. Just a fun car to drive. Lotza zip and drives real well.

Tommy

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Does the engine have a bigger cam in it for the lope sound? I love the sound of a nice cam and headers. Just about as swesome as the sound of a Model A. Totally different but still is music to me.
Geeze I looked at time of your post and I thought that can't be right. geeze it really is that late/early. My bed is calling me now.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Like the Chevy & the color too. I had a later 1960 model Apache 10 shortbed that I got in 78. Not as old at that one you have. It had a .283, pretty stock exchept of a 4 barrel & dual exhaust, headers, glasspacks, super wife rear tires. Wish I still had it, but that didn't work out. Was working on a 69 Ford shortbed F 100 and a Triumph 650 Bonnevile a few years later and had left the Chevy with my dad. It was in a flood from hurricane Allen in 1980 and my dad sold it cause of brake & transmission problems.

Your truck is much nicer than most of hte old ones I see around here.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Tommy, that long, 'whip' gearshift lever brought back memories of the '47 Ford 3/4 ton I owned around 1960. That knob used to get to whipping pretty fast. Got my knuckles whapped more than once.

:)

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
My best friend in , and after high school, had a 56 chevy with a 283, had it bored over, .030" , I think. (remember the 327s? :))

He put cam, big Holley dual pumper, headers, 4:10 gears 4 spd on floor,

DO NOT underestimate the 283...;):cool::D, specially in that light pickup.

He cleaned the clock of many small block and big block wannabees.

Jim

·
Registered
275 Posts
Nice! Life was created to enjoy, so keep doing it!

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Fantastic truck Tommy, sure you look good driving it. Mounted any holsters in it yet?;)

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
^^Only on a gun forum would that question be asked. Gotta love it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts