personal ammo reserves

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by redhawk4life, May 22, 2013.

1. redhawk4life

redhawk4life New Member

Saw this on another forum and I thought I would post it here. What does everyone think a reasonable amount of ammunition to keep on hand. Per caliber or amount of reloading components. not what you have but what would be a good standard.

2. chelboed

chelboed Member

I'd say minimal...1K/caliber on shelf...then go find some to shoot up.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

3. redhawk4life

redhawk4life New Member

Chelboed:
    I totally agree with the 1k per cal. except 22lr I think when prices subside I will try to keep 5k on hand so I have something to shoot. I will also try to keep at least 500 empty brass of each caliber, asst.bullets,primers and powder stockpiled so as not to be caught with my pants down again.

4. uniongap

uniongap New Member

I keep a minimum o at least 2k of every round and 20k of 22lr on hand. If SHTF 22lr would be a great bargaining chip if needed.

5. giturgun

giturgun New Member

Afraid to say , got my personal drone circling overhead with a long range mic attached. Don't want them to know how I feel .

6. tater

tater New Member

1K+ / caliber .22 5k

7. colin1230

colin1230 New Member

3k - 9mm
    1k - 45ACP
    1k - 38Spl
    .5k - 357Mag
    5k - 22lr

Been shooting alot. Don't know how much longer I can maintain this level. LGS has been keeping me in powder, primers and 22 ammo but bullets are still hard to come by. Should be getting one of two orders from Precision Delta in soon. I was lucky to have a nice stash before stupidity prevailed.

8. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

I had a nice cache going before all this madness but I shoot way too much ( at least once a week, usually more ) to have kept it at a level I would like.

Ideally I would like at least:
    1K in 556/223
    1k in 40s&w
    500 in 45colt
    5k in 22lr

Currently I am at:
    300 in 556/223
    150 in 40s&w
    100 in 45colt
    500 in 22lr

The 40 and 22 are my priority at the moment to replenish.

9. chelboed

chelboed Member

You're sitting on 20k 22? Now we know why nobody can go out and shoot for fun now days. 22lr loses its accuracy after 5-6 years. I've done bench tests. Groups get sloppy. I can't go to the range because I can't find any 22's to shoot because people are just sitting on 20k.

It's a free country, but thanks allot.:rolleyes:

10. redscho

redscho New Member

I shot a lot of 22LR older than this and have not noticed a difference in accuaracy. Has anyone else exerienced this?:confused:

11. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

What's an ammo reserve????:confused:

:duck::D

12. chelboed

chelboed Member

Tested Winchester Super-X and Federal lightning back in the day. Was shooting groups with a tube magazine full touching each other with new stuff. The 5y.o. Stuff was shooting a couple inches.

Was bummed.

On the up side...my 9y.o. 9mm 115 grain'ers were just fine.

13. hombre243

hombre243 New Member

I am building my cache. I don't have as much as I want to eventually have so I will continue to load as many at a time as I can afford. Then I will start saving for a half track to haul it.;)

14. refugee

refugee New Member

can't have too much ammo on hand. that is like is it possible to have too much sex?!?!?! the calibers you shoot most need to be overstocked, the rest still need to be -----overstocked. when I reload I consider this fact, also consider the fact that when supply is plentiful and reasonably priced is when to buy. that way when dept. of homeland in-security buys up every round in the nation, they will not get mine. our govt. attempt at backdoor gun control through ammo purchasing won't bother me short term, might in the long run but not for a year or two at least.

15. shadecorp

shadecorp Member

Have NO firearms, of any type,
    No ammo, of any type,
    ON or anywhere near me or my property.

16. jbardellini

jbardellini Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

30k of each handgun caliber and 50k 223/5.56

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. hombre243

hombre243 New Member

Me either

...and I hope no one ever finds it.:cool:

18. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

I've got a bit of 40S&W as the SR40 is what I shoot in IDPA around here...don't have near as much 9mm or 223/556 as I'd like...practically zero of 22lr which ticks me off I didn't have some due to the fact I'd not been paying enough attention...and a small stash of bird/slugs for the 12ga

19. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

I like to have five thousand rounds per caliber.

20. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

I'd like to have that much :)