Perfecta, Fiochi & Tulammo

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Tommycourt, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Today the temp was down to 100 degrees so I decided to do some priming of .45 rounds. I use a Lyman hand primer. One thing I happen to notice that I was getting some rounds that would not accept the primers and those rounds were marked "Perfecta". I did some research, very limited on info and found that this ammo is made in Italy and sold through Tulammo and also Fiochi (sp). The primer pocket seems to be too small to accept large pistol primers. I checked the rounds with a magnet and they are made of brass however upon further research I noticed that during the depriming process, the primers are harder to deprime. Has anyone else noticed this or is this just anomaly? Now I have reloaded some Tulammo in 9mm and not had any problems, it seems to be only the .45 round. I would appreciate any info that you can provide and should I start chucking out the "Perfecta" rounds into the garbage bin.

Tommy

I should note that these are range rounds I have picked up and have not bought any of them in an LGS.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I would complain to the range that they should prohibit those cheapo rounds.

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I deprime with a Rock Chucker, so increased resistance is hard to detect. I do use a hand priming tool, and have noticed that some Herters brass needs the primer pockets chamfered before a primer will start. Maybe that will do for your brass.

4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,

This coming Sunday I am going down to the range and really raise the dickens with the people who run it! I should not be subjected to finding inferior rounds for reloading. If people can't shoot top of the shelf quality rounds, then I should not be having to pick them up. BTW, pm me your telephone number so I can tell them that I am not fooling and I will get you on the line and they can listen to you. Then you can really give them the going over once they find out your connections and your status. Just make sure I have your number by Sunday am. This is going to stop!!!!!!:cheesy:

Tommy

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Bob,

I am still working on some research on these rounds and have not found much. I guess they may be made by Fiocci and marketed by Tulammo. I was searching on some other threads and from what I have found so far, they are made in Italy and MAY have small pistol primer cups in them instead of large primer cups. However, I can't find out for sure. I am just going by some other sites I am not sure of and it sounds like they really don't know and are guessing. I guess they make a lot of 9mm and Wally World sells them real, real cheap. I am not willing to gamble on reaming out the primer cups w/o some real information which gives me a little more to go on. But I do thank you for the advise. Some food for thought!

Tommy

6. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

More resistance when depriming could indicate the primer was crimped in place making me think they could be from NATO ammo.
    NATO or not, if the primer is crimped in place, you must remove the crimp with a reaming tool before priming.
    With a magnifying glass you should be able to see at least part of a "ring" on the brass around the primer if it has been crimped.

I know a guy that reloads 9mm NATO brass and says it's easy to remove the crimp.
    I could be all wrong, not sure if Perfecta even makes .45 Auto NATO ammo or if they crimp their primers.

I believe primers are crimped in place for use in machine guns.

7. silveradoman59

silveradoman59 Member

I was reloading some 380 for my wife's LCP yesterday and noticed a few that the primer seated hard. I looked and the cases were Perfecta. They seated but took a little more pressure, first I have had of the Perfecta brand.

8. buster40c

I wonder is there more of a chance that the primers could explode due to more pressure used for seating them? I read in the reloading manuals that priming is probably the most dangerous step in reloading.

9. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I can honestly say I have never had a primer discharge while re-priming however I am using a Lyman's hand primer. When it comes to using my Dillon Square D, if the primer feels hard, I pull the round out and chuck it. I have heard stories on primers going off but have never met anyone who had it happen to them. Just make sure if you are hand priming, the priming tool is pointed away from you and wear your safety glasses no matter what stage you are in.

Tommy

10. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

It would take a Whole Bunch of extra pressure to make em go off. But it is possible.
    A primer with a defective anvil could pop on you..... I look at every one before I seat them.
    That's why you wear safety glasses while priming, right. ;)

Edit: Like Tommy, I've never had one go off. Never met anyone that has ether.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  11. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

My buddy /neighbor uses a hand primer , and has had one or two go off while priming..

He just said it scares the crap outta you, but no harm done.
    He does say keep it pointed away from you, and make sure your priming tool keeps the other primers separated .

Ive, personaly, never had one go off, and I must say Ive almost completely crushed a few primers in crimped cases, using a Rock Chucker, and they did not go off.

I suppose it will happen.

Jim

12. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Perfecta, Fiochi & Tulammo

I've never had a primer go off on me. I prime on the press vs. By hand. I have seated a primer backwards before.

If you really want to grasp how powerful primers are, wrap one in a paper towel and then put a regular towel over the top. Make sure you have glasses on, and then tap it with a hammer. It'll shred that paper towel and probably scorch the thick towel too.

13. buster40c

Calibre quiet 22lr only uses a primer and no powder. It will still put the bullet through a property fence board.
    Also I made some wax bullet 38 spl ammo using only the primer for propellant. There is more power in a primer than many realize.

14. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Yeah, the first time I fired a primed only case it was quite a surprise as to how loud it was.

15. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

The only problem I ever had with Perfecta brass and primers was a rifle case. After three loadings the primer would pop out when seating the bullet. Had to pull the bullet and powder to throw away the case.:)