PC problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buster40c, Sep 28, 2015.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I need some advice for my PC. I am running windows 7 and the pc just like locks up, like every program just stops running while I have a arrow circle going round and round. I checked my task manage,r which was no small task to get it to open, then I see there are over 100 java.exe programs running. I am guessing that is my problem but I am not sure. Ending task on each one will take forever and then are they going to come right back up running when I reboot? I had to do a power shut down because I couldn't even bring up my tool bar to do a normal shut down.
    I have no idea what has caused this either, except maybe a glitch in my Java update.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Buster

2. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I was saving a program on my "favorites" and accidentally hit a spot that said-" All systems are running". It opens about 50 sites that all start up and continue to pile on. I have no idea of how to delete as I have tried this. I asked my wife, she screwed with it for about an hour and she had no idea and she is somewhat of a "techie" when it comes to computers. Now I have to be careful when I go to my bookmarks, cuz if I hit it, all hell will break loose and then I have a real problem-1 with her and the other with the computer. You might try going to the control panel and see what system is set up to come up when you log on and if a bunch do, then start to delete. Just an idea because you are talking to the mentally decrepit.

Tommy

3. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

I had this problem a while back, and it was a virus. I was told that if I don't keep up with all the latest updates for Java, and other programs, bad things can get through. I also had this problem when I switched to Google Chrome for my search. It shut down a bunch of programs, and basically took over my computer. I used system restore and got back to all of my original setup, using Internet Explorer as my search. I don't advise using restore all the time. TC had a good idea to try first...........................................

4. buster40c

I did a restore and it didn't seem to do much. I think this started when a pop up said java needs latest update. My friend said I have to go to task manager and shut down each of the 100 java programs running. I have a feeling when I restart they are possibly going to come back up again besides it would take hours to delete each of the 100 running.
    I have WebRoot and it has not detected any virus or anything on my PC.
    I use duckduckgo for my searches. I read where Google Chrome has so much add on spy malware it is unreal.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  5. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Go over to http://www.flooringforum.com and pose this same question to Nick in the technology section. He is a buddy and fellow moderator on a former sister site. Tell him I sent you and post up your problems and he will walk you through the fixes. He is one sharp cookie.

6. berettabone

I have Webroot also.......originally, they cleared the first virus I had, but then it came back..................the people that built my computer are the one's that told me about staying on top of received updates. This is where evil malware sneaks in...........between updates. They basically use Java and other programs to sneak through. It's why you must stay on top of them. It shouldn't take that long to shut down running programs that you don't need.

7. buster40c

I used nickndfl info and the java crap is now gone. I went in and deleted the downloaded programs from last week. Java and Adobe were the ones. Evidently that virus was snuck in with the updated crap.
    Thanks for the help........hoping the problem doesn't attach back on real soon.
    It seems those warnings about new updates are often used to sneak in trouble.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  8. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

Only do updates directly, I ignore pop-up updates.

9. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

What he said/\/\/\ and use AVG antivirus

10. buster40c

AVG virus never did me any good. It let viruses right in. This webroot evidently isn't worth a crap either. I showed webroot was updated 9-25 which is when all the java stuff started. So evidently web root got hit also. That's poor virus protection when it even hits the protection program.
    I had the same thing happen again today and sure enough there was a slew of Java updates again. I deleted the updates and will see what happens now. I also deleted webroot since it said it updated also when I didn't do any update for it.

11. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I have PC Matic ( I did until the other day when it expired) so I will renew it when my SS check gets here this Friday. I don't really know how effective it is, but I guess that at least I can have the idea that my computer is safe, after the program is re-newed.

Tommy

12. berettabone

Webroot updates automatically....................you have a setting as to when and how.