Pawn deal or no deal

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by buster40c, Jun 18, 2014.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I am wondering what ya'll think about buying a rifle at a pawn shop? I so often see pawn items that look rather rough but they still want close to what I could buy it new for.
    I bought a shotty at a pawn shop and found out years later it was about 25 years old when I bought it. The gun looked in good shape and I never had a problem with it luckily. It was a Winchester 1300 12 ga semi auto.
    I really don't want to pay 3/4 the cost of a new rifle for who knows how old the rifle is at a pawn shop.
    Do you think it is worth scavenging the pawn shops or just buy a new one?
    I am looking at buyin a 308 or 30/30 for hoggy hunting and maybe a bambi if it comes to me. LOL I really shouldn't call it hunting. More like they will find me and I will pop them. Like I need a rifle.........as close as I feel I would be to the feeder my .45 Kimber or .40 Ruger would work fine I guess. I just will not shower for a week and the hogs and deer will just think a bear crapped in the woods.
    I can't go out into this dense thicket because I know I would never find my way back out. I would have to leave a line of string to find my way back. Some people carry toilet paper. I carry a roll of string.

2. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

I've picked up some at pawn shops, like anywhere check it out. I once traded a Yugo(car) for browning lever 22

3. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

You may want to get a blue book of used gun values to compare prices. Some of the old stuff sells for as much or for more than some of the newer stuff. It also depends on condition. Alot of the pawn shops use the same blue book values and some just overprice everything. You can also try to haggle the pawn deals down, but it doesn't always work. You can usually get better deals at the smaller private shops to get better deals. The commercial pawn shops try to hold out for more.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2014
  4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have bought a few guns from pawn shops. No problems.

But like Pancho says , you REALLY need to KNOW what the gun your looking at is worth , and be sure its in the condition your willing to own.

I have been able to haggle way down on the price so far.
    It really depends on the pawn shop, how much they got in it , and how bad they need cash.

Good luck haggling.;):)

Jim

5. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

I use my phone and at gun broker etc for ideas in market unless I've done my homework before. I agree small shops can be good at dealing plus watching the shelf life.

6. Grizz12

Grizz12 New Member

I used to hit the pawn shops at least once a month when I lived out west. If I found something I liked I would make an offer I was comfortable with, if they accepted than great, if not than I didnt really care

I also came to realize that most pawn shops didnt know much about any weapon and usually would be happy to move them out of the store

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  7. damienph

damienph New Member

I've bought several rifles and handguns at pawn shops over the years. You do need to have a good idea of value, because I have found that most pawnshop owners have absolutely no idea what the guns are worth, they just want to double what they paid.

8. zionreva

zionreva New Member

Pawn Shop

You can find some good bargains from time to time, but like you said, you can get them cheaper sometimes elsewhere. If you looking for a 30/30 go to wally world, they are on par with what the pawn shops are selling and it will be new.

9. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I ended up buying a Marlin 3030 from a pawn shop. I checked Academy and they sell one new for $369 but the wood is bare and all the metal is just bare also. They didn't have any in stock. WM ads show their 336 is $398. Gander was just under $500. Many on GunsAmerica new were around $500 also.
    I paid $335 for the one at the pawn shop and it is in very good condition. It has the JM stamp showing it is pre Remington. It was made in 1981. I just got outbid on GunBroker for a JM stamped 336. It sold for $330. FFL and shipping + 3% CC fee it would have been $390. I paid $368 out the door so I am okay with what I paid considering the very good condition of the gun. It is Marlin quality which is a plus over the new guns.
    LOL I justified my purchase pretty good didn't I?

10. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

Both my 06's came from a pawn shop and about 1/2 my milsurps, reasoable price and decent shape.
    Art Sr.

11. terrell48

terrell48 New Member

It just depends on what your shopping for and being familiar of market values, I usually shop pawn shops looking for older out of production firearms, sometimes you stumble across a an irresistable deal, like the Winchester Model 61 in 90% + condition in 22 Mag purchased for $275 !! You never know what you'll find. That rifle easily is valued at over $1,200 for an easy sell and if you find the right buyer can easily sell for closer to $2,000. A dealer friend offered me the $1,200, he can make a good profit at that price, but NOT FOR SALE! I enjoy the time shooting it and recaalling the negotiating of the deal. If your in the market for a specific deal and the unlikely possibility that you will find that specific Firearm at a pawn shop so I would watch for a sell at a retail store or visit a store that has fair prices. Your local gun store is actually the best place to shop if they are reasonable on thier prices as you can buy everything you need like a sling, a scope and mounts, a case and ammo. They are there when you need something and in this case they will mount and bore site the scope and theey may even shoot it in for yyou if you have no place to go shoot it in or may even have a range close by that they will let you shoot it in. No one can make the call on what is best for you but deals at pawn shops can be had, I enjoy the hunt and occasional deal to be had.

12. bayourat

bayourat New Member

Most pawn brokers sell on gunbroker.com now a days . Good deals are few and far between. Best deals are found with estate sales and when some one sells of a collection.

13. zionreva

zionreva New Member

That is good. Sometimes you will get a good deal, and sometimes you will not. You have to be picky, choosy, and take a good bore light with you and ask if you can run a patch down the bore. I will take a beat up old beater as long as the bore is shiny, bright, and I can see rifling. Even dark bores are ok. Just take your time and look. I got two Winchester 94's, a 32 special and 30/30, both for good prices. I wish I would have kept them.

14. craigsfishing

craigsfishing New Member

Where you buy is not important. What matters is to do your homework before you shop and know what you want and what it's value is. Only when you know what you're doing will you be able to get what you want at the right price. Even brand new prices vary a lot from one dealer to another. For what you want it for, I would go with used. The world is full of good used rifles. Age is no real drawback if it's in good condition. With some guns (Winchester model 94, pre and post 1964, for example) Age can be highly desirable.

15. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

I've done some buying/trading at some local pawn shops. They tend to be overpriced but most are willing to deal.............remember cash talks!

16. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

I've heard of pre-64 model 70's but a pre-64 model 94? The only thing I can think of that may have changed is the receivers went from steel to some sort of zinc alloy? Dunno?

17. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

Pre 64 94s had better internal parts cast machined etc, not stamped sheet metal. They were smoother in their actions as well.