Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have the urge to buy one of these P series 45acp pistols. I have read about the differences between the three models, and think the P90 suites me best. Any reason to consider the others? I think my next choice would be the 97, and the 345 falling in last. Opinions?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no interest in the SR45. I dont like striker guns, and feel the SR45 trigger is too lite. I want a hammer gun, as just about all my pistols are hammer fired. It will be one of the three I listed.

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
I have a P345 that I use as my house PD gun. The P345 has the slim grip feel of the SR but has the metal trigger and hammer which feels pretty smooth.... I run a laser and flashlight on mine......These are great guns.....

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
They are great guns I love my P95. Its a little bulky but I have big hands. One thing that kinda sucks is mine will only take factory ruger mags. I've bought 2 pro-mags. And that's the only time I had problems. F.T.E 's. Mainly?????

Tacti

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the KP90, the P97D and KP345 and the 345 is my first choice and the P97 the second. They are all 100 % reliable, and function flawlessly but the 345 fits my hand the best and is the one that i shoot the most accurately. You should choose the one that is the most comfortable for your hand, they all use the same 7 and 8 round magazine and whichever one you choose will be a good choice and will serve you well.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well... This isnt what I started out to obtain, but I watched several of the P series 45acp pistols, at excellent prices, get swept out from under me because I couldnt get there quickly enough. The money I had was burning a hole in my pocket, and since it has a hammer, was in the caliber I wanted, and I didnt have a real 1911...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Update

Ok... Here is an update. As much as I enjoy my SR1911, I still felt the calling of the P series 45 pistol. Since the P series line is now gone, I felt this was the time to grab up one, or all 3 of the P 45s. I lucked into a mint KP97DC first, with all accessories, as it came new with. This pistol was 10 miles from my home, and made for an easy sale. The price was excellent, and I can tell this pistol was fired very little in its lifetime. I have shot it and its very accurate, and has mild recoil. I added a Pachmayr slip on grip with finger grooves because the early Zytel frames are somewhat slick. Im very happy with the P97.

I kept reading about how the P90 was such a great gun, maybe, possibly, the best 45 Service pistol ever made. I like the Decock versions of these pistols, as my long ago sold P89, was a Decock model. Since the P97 is only available as a Decock, or DAO pistol, and mine is a Decock, I wanted my P90 to be a Decock also. I lucked into a KP90DC with all accessories, from the original owner, and he claims he only put 20 rounds through it, in its lifetime. 2 original 7 round magazines with the warning stickers still attached completed the package. I have since added the Houge finger groove grips. I have not shot this pistol yet, but will soon take it to the range.

I am now torn as to whether or not to search out a P345. I will probably keep my eyes open for one, as I am curious how the 345 stacks up against the other two, but for now, I am very happy with the pair I have.

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
Congrats on both of the Ruger guns....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nice pistols, you were vary lucky to find them in such good condition. I have the Hogue grips on all my metal frame P series pistols, and i have found them to improve my groups my at least 50% over the factory grips. All of my P series pistols are factory stock except for Trijicon night sights on P944 and MDS removed from P345 and the night sights are well worth having on a home defense pistol, they make for accurate shots even if you can only see a slight outline of your target. All of the P pistols are 100% dependable and so is the SR1911, i have found the SR1911 to be as well built and dependable as my Colt Combat Commander and it has much better sights. That is a sweet collection and they are built to last a lifetime.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...And Then There Were 3...

My P series 45acp collection is complete. Today I scored a P345, 2 magazines, loading tool, original box, 50 rounds of mixed SD ammo, and an Old Faithful Pancake for $350. Cant wait to get outside and run some rounds down the barrel.

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
Congrats on the P345.....to this day its still one of my favorite guns to shoot....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nice collection of Ruger .45 autos, and they are only going to get harder to find as time goes by. Now you need a SR45 and you will have every .45 auto that Ruger has ever made.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice collection, Webalance, I have been looking at the P series and asking a ton of questions. So far I can only find one common comment, heavy. The P90 ilooked at was a bit heavy, but being an all metal gun I felt it was in line. I have not heard of any failures,e.g., frame cracks, firing pin problems, etc. All and all it looks like a great gun.

Let us know how it shoots at the range.

Good Luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts