p85 care

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by dataz722, Mar 15, 2013.

1. dataz722

dataz722 New Member

I just got a p85 yesterday and it is bone dry. I am going to clean it up and lube it tonight but was wondering what everyone used. Oil or grease? I would normally use grease on the slide rails but what does everyone else use on theirs? And anything in particular out of the norm that I need to worry about lubing or not lubing.

Oh, and it is the stainless version if that matters at all.

2. justin626

justin626 New Member

I don't own a P85 but I'd check out Froglube. It permeates the metal when applied properly, is dry when the firearm is cold, and releases when it heats up. I use it on all of mine and it works great. Doesn't collect dirt or lint either.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013

3. threetango

threetango Special Dance Instructor

I have found the "Frog" to work well in many situations.

Froglube supposedly soaks in the metal.

Can't prove it yet but did find that cleaning the gun after firing a good many rounds was extremely easy.
    Do a search online with froglube soaks in the metal and read the responses.

[​IMG]

4. threetango

Here's a good little test on Froglube and heating your weapon before applying.
    You decide if it works.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNUlpnJSKEI[/ame]

How to apply Froglube.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKHwwruKn60[/ame]

One more.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIuix4Q02JE[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  5. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

I just got some Frog Lube yesterday.....going to try it out this weekend.....hope all the hype is right.....

6. jrc

jrc New Member

Synthetic grease and oil on all my pistols - Mobile One 5-20 and I think the bearing grease is Valvoline.

7. threetango

Only thing I didn't much care for was in the last video where they guy said once you start using Froglube you should use it only. :confused:

8. dataz722

dataz722 New Member

I just ordered up some frog lube. I spent the majority of the day yesterday reading about it and watching videos and it sounds like a great product.

Should I do a complete break down or just field strip it for the first application?

9. threetango

Field strip should suffice. If you have a hair dryer heat up the weapon before applying the FL, it makes a difference.
    See video above.

10. PecosBill

PecosBill New Member

I use Brakefree on my P95. Then spray the slide contact areas with teflon shotgun choke lubricant.

Don't think I need to do all that but gives me peace of mind. This stuff dries "dry" No residue to collect dirt.

11. JaPes

JaPes New Member

I'm a Ballistol convert. I've tried almost everything out there. IMO, Ballistol wins because it's non toxic. The longer I use Ballistol on a firearm, each subsequent cleaning becomes easier.

12. JimThornTX

JimThornTX New Member

I use good old-fashioned Hoppe's #9 on all my firearms. It's been around for over 100 years for a reason. :cool: