Out On The Real Range

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by Ernesto, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

Not to bad at 10 paces with my sr9c, open sites. Got a couple wild ones. Been having the jitters lately at 60 years old and nerve damage from installing flooring for 40 years. Excuses haha. The ole glue bucket didn't fare well from the Remington 12 GA with 2 3/4 00 buckshot. And that steel is thicker than any car doors. Through and through.

Attached Files:

2. Ernesto

I keep pullin left for some odd reason.

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

10 paces oughta be about 25 yards; that accuracy will do (unless you are after mice).

That big sky brings back memories of my time in Colorado. My home was at the western edge of the high plains. Folks who never left the country east of the Appalachians don't really know what 'big sky' feels like - at least I didn't 'til I got there and spent some time under it. Made me feel small in body, but my mind expanded with the all-around view.

Now the view fades to gray around the edges, and Obama ain't helping.

4. Ernesto

Thanks villian, I need to get out more. I hate indoor ranges and the closet outdoor range is through the city. I can get way out here in Cochise County just as fast with no one in site. Tis beautiful.
    O'bummer won't come down here cus it's to close to the border and dangerous, lol BP is all over the place.

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

There are lots of reasons. If you are right handed, left - and down - is the flinch direction. Sun to the west if you are shooting south will 'move' the front sight to the right (the glare on the sight). That's just two among the many. I betcha Tommy knows (and has been victimized by) several more. Most of the time my shooting is erratic enough that no excuse works. Went out Monday with the Blackhawk .45 and the Redhawk .44, and didn't hurt the targets at 25 yards much. Picked up about 40 9mm Luger cases, so it wasn't a total loss.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  6. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

That pesky bucket aint never gonna bother you again, that's for sure.
    And that SR9c target don't look too bad either. You have a nice "minute of felon" grouping!

7. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

My chart for rt hand shows too little trigger finger is straight left 9 oclock, 8 o'clock is tightening fingers which is what I do, 7 o'clock is jerking or slapping trigger.

Attached Files:

8. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

When I hit the 7 o'clock area I know I am gripping too much with my strong hand and my pinkie finger is pushing me over. But the target doesn't look bad at all (considering you are a geezer too) but all the rounds are in the "kill" zone. When I go to the range I have to dry fire about ten times to get my "rhythm" going and concentrate on my grip. It's kinda funny but as you age, the grip seems to tighten and I think the reason why we do it is because we are older and think we have to hold on tighter. That is a myth. It's gonna take a lot of bondo to repair that can you shot though. But taint nothing wrong with your shooting. You are in range and the BG is now history!!! BTW, I sure wish I had land like that up here so I could do some outside shooting but if the BLM don't own it, it belongs to the rez.
    Tommy

9. Ernesto

Thanks For The tips! I've been out of action for years. I think I was using the pad of my index finger to much which makes me pull left. I think if I get my index finger further in I can have better control. I'm right handed.
    The beauty of shooting out there is you can shoot all day and no one bothers you. Complete silence. Just pick up your brass and shells and targets. Leave no mess.

10. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Ernesto,
    When we lived in Phoenix I never went to a public range.
    We always went out to the "real range" north or northwest of Phoenix. I loved going out into the desert to shoot.
    It looked just like the pics you posted. I still miss kicking around in what I call the desert mountains.

11. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

[​IMG]
    Good shooting this is supposed to help. I tend to shoot left also so I tend to aim to the right.

12. Ernesto

Thanks nogoat, printing that.