Our trek up the mountain

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Blkhawk73, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

This had been our year's goal and with Saturdays committed to the boy's marching band competitions and weather getting colder, I was thinking we wouldn't get it in. The pieces fell into place and an unseasonably warm Friday gave us an unbelievable hike up Mt Washington, the highest peak on the northeast @ 6288'. Also the lace where some of the highest wind speeds ever recorded have blown through - 231mph! We only has a breeze of 20mph with some higher gusts now and then. Made for about a 45-50º day at the top - very nice.
    It started out with the usual woods trail at about an easy grade before we faced the head wall of Tuckerman's Ravine and the final assent to the peak over a boulder field. Happy to have made it and not added to the list of those that perished on the mountain and in the ravine. More than a few spots where a simple side step was a looooooooong ways down. :shock:

The start:
    [​IMG]

From the 1/3 way caretaker station:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The headwall we faced climbing:
    [​IMG]

Looking up at our route:
    [​IMG]

From atop the ravine. The white spot is the caretaker's cabin.
    [​IMG]

Looking down the final scramble:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just to prove we were really there:
    [​IMG]

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Nice pics. I've driven up a couple times, and ridden the tramway once.

3. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

My grandfather hiked it, my father has hiked it a couple times, this makes 4 generations that's trekked up the mountain. That's kinda cool to me. Have done the train on Pike's Peak but this one...meh, for what that costs, I'll hike and earn the photos. :) Funny...at the top, you could tell "locals" from tourists from away. They were either bundled up like it was winter (one had earmuffs and a winter parka) or they had shorts, flip slops and t shirts holding themselves in the wind. LOL

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

My first drive up was with a friend in my '53 Merc. Had to stop twice to let the radiator cool. We had barely started back down, on a stretch with a great view to the left, when we discovered that the tranny wouldn't stay in 2nd very long. After the scare when it jumped into neutral, my friend held the gearshift up in 2nd the rest of the way.

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

What a nice trip Blk. Next time you go I would be happy to go with you if you promise to carry me up with you. So glad you had a good time. Good for you!!!!!!

Tommy

6. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Yeaaaah, no. Still two more trails to the summit I wanna check off, one is considerably harder than this one. Bunch of hand hold over hand hold face scaling. Not sure if the boy's up to that. If I can take him into an overnight under the trees maybe next year we'll go up again.

7. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Excellent pics, very well done.:)

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

If it seemed like I was trying to hijack your thread - I wasn't. There is something about the summit of Mount Washington that is otherworldly and memorable. I have been on top of the Pikes Peak road; it ain't the same (but harder to breathe).

9. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Looks like you guys had a good time! Nice pictures, too.

10. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

No, no, not at all. :) Mts here and mts there just aren't the same. Gotta see both to really understand maybe. Pikes Peak...it had snow deeper than the train was tall when we went although no breathing issues. Would love to be at the peak in winter but doubtful. Summer with everything green is a pretty sure thing.