Opinions re: Night sights and Laser

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by Exit39, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Exit39

Exit39 New Member

I recently added a Crimson Trace laser to my LC9s and love it. I have 20/20 in my left eye and 20/70 in my right. As my eyes age, of course things are not what they used to be at night. So I'm thinking about swapping out the stock sights. My primary use (hoping to never have to use) would be home defense involving waking from sleep and expecting groggy vision coupled with the aging focus. Don't know if you catch my drift. Yes?

However, is this really necessary since installing the laser, and if it is what would you "older" :D folk recommend from an experienced point of view?

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I have a Crimson Trace laser on my bedstand gun. The position I slide out of bed to puts the head of the stairs in view. I have a night-light in the hall, directly in the line of sight of the potential intruder, that illuminates the head of the stairs, but not my room. Looking from my position to the stairs I can't see my sights, but when I click on the laser the dot is clear.

That's all the input I have for you.

3. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I prefer night sights to laser. I knew an officer that had the bad guy shoot at the dot and got his hand. They can't see night sights. Just my thoughts.;)

4. Exit39

Exit39 New Member

Actually that's great input! It is very important to know your home surroundings, danger/blind areas and safe zones, and practice retrieving your weapon and utilizing it in a variety of circumstances (day, night, quiet/loud, etc). Last night I actually did some trial and error and found that the laser is quite bright enough to not have to use the sights; this is my first laser, thus my questions/concerns. But I'm inclined to wonder about bright light situations such as outdoors. I wonder about those Big Dots sights. Anyone use them that can provide feedback?

You have a definite point there about the bad guy not being able to see night sights as opposed to the laser. Thank you. Positive and negatives to everything.

5. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Just my opinion here,

I have tried every laser , I can think of .

They are fine in the house. I can see them.

Outside, in the day time, I found them useless past 10 feet , at least for me, I cant see the laser , green or red in daylight.

I do not shoot at 10 feet very often, mostly 10-20 yards, therefore I don't use them when I'm at the range.

I shoot a lot at the range with handguns (especially my EDC), mostly a point shoot technique, and that's the way I will shoot if my house is invaded, so if I don't normally, use a laser I wont use one then.

My home protection (for night time) is a VEPR 12 ga , (no laser or light).
    Daytime is an assortment of strategically placed weapons.

If lasers work for you, and thats the way you practice... :cool::tiphat:

Just me folks.:)

Jim

6. Exit39

Exit39 New Member

Jim, I have been practicing a technique at activating the laser on and off with my middle finger. Haven't live fired it that way just yet, only dry. Not saying I'll be good at it, but I like possibilities. Short story: When those laser pointers (the ones used in meetings) were first hitting the market many years ago I remember kids would target people for fun everywhere; malls, events, etc. I also remember standing outside a concert venue when I noticed a red dot on me. I don't ever recall moving so fast in my life to find cover; like a Mexican jumping bean! Whether gun or pointer, that feeling is something I don't want to go through again. I assume they had a blast, haha. But that's the feeling I want an intruder to experience once that dot is on him aside from the next feeling if he does not comply.

7. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

When I shoot my bedstand gun at the range, the laser is not clicked on (wouldn't be able to see the dot anyway). I shoot at 30' using the sights, then 20' point-and-shoot. The practice 'shooting' with the laser is in clicking it on efficiently - and - dry firing. The laser dot is undeniable evidence when it moves during the trigger pull.