Opinions on a Heritage .22

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by phideaux, Feb 26, 2016.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hey guys,

I just want every one to give up your opinions on the Heritage Rough Rider .22lr revolver.

I picked one up a few years ago , for a good price ($100), as a cheap plinker to aid in the training of my Grandsons.

Moving them thru all types of guns and shooting ,
    It filled its purpose very well.
    I never had a problem with function, its as accurate as any fixed sight cheap gun .

I got the .22mag cylinder with mine, but never put it in.

IMHO , they are excellent for plinking and training, at a really low cost.

Heres mine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jim

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I bought the Heritage Rough rider like yours but with the 4" barrel. It also came with the mag cylinder. I bought it new from Academy for like $159 a few years ago. I have read many people saying how accurate they are but mine sure had problems. It did shoot a decent couple inch pattern but about 4" low and to the left. I had to file down the front blade and bend the blade over. The blade looks bubba worked but the gun is more on POA now. I am guessing either the barrel was not centered when installed or the front blade grove was machined wrong.
    I also have the Heritage don't tread on me 6.5" revolver 22lr which is a better shooting gun.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

The one I handled at my LGS was kinda rough - sharp edges, tool marks etc. - and had an, ah, unfortunate trigger.

4. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

"Unfortunate trigger" :cheesy:

5. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Have handed a few and just wasn't impressed. It's a scenario where I'd gladly spend the additional money for a Single Six.

6. CajunBass

CajunBass New Member

I had one for a short time a couple of years ago. I didn't see anything wrong with it other than it had a 6 1/2" barrel. That was the only reason I didn't keep it long. I had a couple of holsters I thought would work with it, and they didn't. I was too cheap to buy another holster, so I sold the gun.

But the gun itself was a decent shooter. I used it mostly for plinking with shorts, but cans and pine cones out back of the hog pen trembled when I had it. The safety is sort of goofy, but then Colt put a safety on their 22 S/A's toward the end of their production. It was nicer, and better hidden, but it was there.

Sure, Rugers, Colts, and Uberti's are a lot nicer. (I've owned all three, and couple others too.) They cost a lot more, they should be nicer, but the Heritage ain't bad for what it is. An inexpensive 22 revolver.

7. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

It's an introductory budget gun with special packaging. It isn't particularly fun to shoot, but it's cheap to purchase. It's targeted for new shooters or somebody with a $120 budget. I own many guns and would not be interested in owning one or shooting more than 6 rounds. Now I would be more interested in shooting a nice SP101 in .22 or a S&W 617.

To shoot a .22 just for the sake of shooting gets boring quickly if you have shot tens of thousands of rounds over a lifetime. Then you have a gun you shot once and may never pick up a again, is not collectible and has little value.

8. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

You got to have a bunch of grandkids nephews and nieces, that need shooting training/experience , to fully appreciate the cheap, Heritage .22.

They can really put 1000s of round thru one.
    and beat one up pretty good.

Jim

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Why didn't I think of that angle? The Heritage revolver can legitimately be considered to occupy the market segment once held by the Harrington&Richardson and Iver Johnson revolvers. Those were SA/DA guns, and not intended to look like the Colt SA Army, but still... .

... Well, those guns were somewhat more expensive (in 2015 dollars), and in better trim as I recall. Shucks, now I don't know. So far this weekend has been hard on my confidence level. The Hodgdon 800-X debacle, The Donald being viewed as the nation's savior? Something grotesque - and not funny - is going on, and now I'm conflating the Heritage revolver with Iver Johnson?

Katy bar the door, and get down the Hawken.

10. CajunBass

CajunBass New Member

That is exactly what they are. They helped take the place of the Harrington and Richardson, and High Standard and Iver Johnson 22, 32 and 38 revolvers that we used to see for sale just about everywhere in those long ago days before the GCA68. When it got to hard for those smaller stores to sell those guns and large part of their market dried up, and eventually the companies did too. But nature abhors a vacuum so other companies like Heritage, and High Point have taken their place. Quite simply, there is a market for them.

11. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I've been teaching a younger shooter how to shoot handguns. He likes my .22s just not the bigger stuff. He wants something inexpensive to plink with and I think this might be the answer. I'll have to check one out next time I'm at my LGS.
    Would you go with the longer barrel or shorter?

12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Personal preference, but for a 1st handgun 5-6 inch barrels hang-in-the-hand and sight radius are representative of the genre. Later on, a 4.2" GP100 or 6.5" Blackhawk will come easier. A 10" Buntline is a whole 'nother experience.

13. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I used my Heritage with 6.5 barrel to take out a snake in my pond. For around $160 it is pretty hard to beat for kids learning and over all plinking or target shooting. I would go with the longer barrel as my 6.5 gun is more accurate than my 4" gun.
    I have seen them for less money at Academy than at online auctions.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  14. CajunBass

CajunBass New Member

I picked up another Rough Rider a week or so ago. They had them on sale for $149.00 at my LGS so I figured "Why not?" This one looks better than the one I had before and has a shorter 5.5" barrel.

[​IMG]

I haven't had a chance to get it to the range yet. Maybe today.

15. gumpy

gumpy New Member

That's not a bad looking gun at all. Let us know how it shoots.

16. CajunBass

CajunBass New Member

It shot OK. Frankly I hate to shoot a 22, especially a S/A revolver at a paper target at the range. I much prefer to plink cans, pine cones and such, but since I moved back to town, I don't really have that option anymore.

I only put about 30 or 40 rounds through it yesterday, and was more function testing it than anything else. No problems at all with function, and accuracy as best I could tell, shooting standing up with two hands was quite acceptable. I didn't bench rest it anything, but it seems it would be an acceptable plinker.

17. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Think I'll keep my eye out for one.

18. silveradoman59

silveradoman59 Member

I've read these posts, and I am going to give my 2 cents worth. My wife has a Heritage Rough Rider .22, with the 22 mag cylinder. It is a great little gun for the price. Hers was dead on out of the box at 50 yards. It is the same as CajunBass posted above. I like the S/A factor, in a small caliber like that she would have a hard time keeping it on target as a D/A. My Grandson loves it and it works well for him. I think you should get it, it'll serve you well.
    As for Hi Point, I have had two and they were also dead on right out of the box. I had a C9 9mm and a JCP 40 s&w. I sold my c9 to my brother only because I hadn't shot it in about a year cause I like the 40 better and he can't afford a more expensive gun. All the 9mm takes is a little more solid grip. He was having trouble and thought it was the gun. So I took it out and shot it, and I put 50 rounds through it like water through a sieve. It was just limp wristing. They may be ugly guns and a little heavy and I wouldn't have one for CCW, but I do have one for a home defense gun, and I'll put it up against any comparable gun of any make. :RantOff:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  19. RonSwanson

RonSwanson New Member

You can get these ~$100 around the holidays. My wife was dead set on one even though I tried my hardest to get her a single six. They are fun and a decent gun for the money