Opinions: Glock 31 in .357 Sig

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Pancho_Villa, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Don't have it yet, but it was offered in a swap. Just don't know if I want it. I know the Glocks have a good rep. I know the caliber is powerful and accurate. Is it a good combo? Does anyone own one? Is it in use by any LEO agencies or military? Is it "mainstream" enough to be a common caliber like the 9, .40 or .45 acp?

Current owner got it in a swap from his nephew, a retired trooper. The trooper had seller's remorse over a Sig service pistol he had sold the uncle and swapped him back out of it for the G31 and a good supply of ammo. Uncle fired it a few times and doesn't wwant it anymore. He may have the same concerns as I do about ammo availability, like at Wally World. Even with the current ammo shortages, the local WW is getting some 9, .40 and .45. It has never carried or even had any .357 Sig.

Some gun traders at a recent show said some dealers were so overstocked with the G31s that they were selling them in the 350-400 range. I did not check it out, but one guy came by selling one for that price cause they were at several new gun dealers for that price new. Is that the case/ I did not check it out. If I do make the swap, it may not be as good a deal as I thought.I would have no problem swapping for a Glock in 9, .40 or .45.

I am just wondering if the current owner suspects problems finding ammo when his supply runs out. Is the .357 Sig not as popular as it was expected to be?

The current owner is a walnut and blue big bore rifle kinda guy, but I would not want to swap that nice of a gun for it. He was also interested in my recent snag, a SW40VE. Maybe cause he could find ammo for it.?

Comments or opinions welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2013
  2. J-Will

J-Will #Merica

357SIG is a great round. A lot of people like glocks chambered for it. One of the best things about it is you can buy a 40S&W and even 9mm barrel for it and convert it. Use the 357 mags for 40, and just buy 9mm mags if you went that route. 357SIG has been available here regularly. It is a very powerful round. So you would be trading your SW40VE for it? If so, then I would do it. I may have missed it, but what generation is the glock?

3. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Opinions: Glock 31, .357 Sig

The G31 was my first CC gun. I found it a bit bulky to carry, but it was a great shooter, a real tack driver. I sold it to fund another gun. The next .357 Sig gun I buy will be the G32 Gen 4.

The 357 Sig-chambered Glocks are great guns. I used to see Sig ammo all the time at my local Wally Worlds. Not so much these days.

There are quite a few law agencies that use the round, mainly because of its great ballistic performance through auto glass and auto sheet metal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  4. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Member

I love the .357 Sig round. It is expensive. I have converted every.40 I own and can to .357 Sig. My 27 Gen.4 now has the 33 .357 Sig barrel, my Sig 229R .40 now has the .357 Sig barrel. My next venture is buying my neighbors 23. He hates it. If he gives it to me for $400, then I will buy a 32 .357 Sig barrel for it, lol. If you can trade a comparable Glock for it, I say do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  5. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Member

Oh yeah, it's the carry round of the Air Marshals and the Secret Service.

6. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info guys. I am unsure of which generation it is. Current owner isn't much of a handgun guy. He probably would not know if I asked. Will check with him later today anyway.

7. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Member

Post a pic. I can tell you what gen. It is. Or this pic should help. ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1378142198.626991.jpg

8. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

If it is in good shape, I would give it serious consideration.
    I also agree with J-Will and would be looking at conversion barrels for it. Practice with cheap 9mm ammo at the range, and swap back to the 357 barrel for SD.

They may not be pretty, but in a situation where my life depended on it. I would grab one of my Glocks first!